Your Spouse and Your Bike - Page 4 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > General Motorcycle Related

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #31 (permalink)
MPG'S? Who gives a

Garage
I traded UP to a Harley. Always had bikes BUT, when the time came for a Harley in the geerage, my wife simply said "As long as you put atleast half down". So them's the rules i went by. My wife always loved being on the back of my bikes though. We chose the color and model together then ordered it. Great experience really.

Payments for 2.5 years only, and saved a bunch of cash doing so.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:04 PM   #32 (permalink)

had h.d. before married. she liked riding then & 43 years married, she still likes ridin . just get it
butch61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #33 (permalink)

I am taking advantage of being 28 years old and buying all the toys I want so when I get marry my excuse will be " it needed to be replaced".

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Cadivillellac84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:21 PM   #34 (permalink)

For my wife the Harley is more convenient to work on for routine maintenance. I've been commuting on a bike for roughly twenty years. As with most who use their bikes as their main transportation I am always performing some preventive or milestone maintenance on it. So although I absolutely loved my previous ride it was in no way a convenient thing to work on. My wife was getting a little tired of the bike being spread all over the garage at regular intervals not to mention the time required to complete the work. She asked me if there was something I could get that was more convenient to work on for routine maintenance.

I hadn't considered a Harley before but after some research I settled on my Heritage Classic. Not only is it more convenient to work on it also has less care and feeding requirements than my previous rides. Best of all I don't need to take the frame apart to do routine maintenance. She also likes the classic look of the Harley.
3 - The honey-do item won't fit on the bike
ZXPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #35 (permalink)

When I wrecked my previous bike (not a Harley), she said "good, now maybe you'll quit riding". Not so fast, there sweetheart. When I found out my bike was totaled, I went to the HD dealer and put a deposit on a new, 2011 Limited. I told her I did and on the day I was to pick it up she said "let's go get our new Harley!".

I guess I didn't have to do much convincing.

Phoenix, AZ
2011 Electra Glide Ultra Limited
[psychedelic purple/vivid black]
phx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDK09 View Post
Nowadays ya need 2 incomes to survive and ya gotta respect that!!
If you need 2 income to survive, you don't need a motorcycle.
Markk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #37 (permalink)

my wife kinda coaxed me into pulling the trigger after I mentioned buying a bike.

I've got a feeling she wants me out of the house

it worked.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #38 (permalink)
Earthbound misfit, I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Hours View Post
my wife kinda coaxed me into pulling the trigger after I mentioned buying a bike.

I've got a feeling she wants me out of the house

it worked.
Who's there when you aren't?

Happiness is a fat dog. Don't believe me? Go ask my dogs.
Labradaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradaddy View Post
Who's there when you aren't?

Old 11-04-2012, 04:36 PM   #40 (permalink)

First off, my wife likes motorcycles. We've probably ridden 100,000 miles 2-up before she decided to get her license and get her own bike. All of those miles were on metrics (Hondas and BMWs). She's always had a negative opinion about Harleys because a few of our friends that own Harleys are a bit jaded towards non-Harley owners. She also doesn't like loud bikes, and most Harley owners around here tend to pride themselves on how much noise they can make.

Regardless, I went out and bought a V-Rod two years ago. It was my money, and I didn't discuss it or ask permission. It was just parked in the driveway when she got home from work. She just smiled, and we went for a ride that evening. She's still not a big Harley fan (She likes her BMW), but when I dragged home the Tour Glide this summer she just laughed at me again. I don't mind. She's a good sport, and she supports me like I support her. The bikes makes little difference in the relationship. We get along, have respect for each other's interests, and we both enjoy a good laugh. And we both ride. It doesn't matter what we ride as long as we're having fun.

'dale

1970 Honda CB450
1980 Yamaha SR500
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1987 BMW R80RT
1987 Harley Davidson FLTC Tour Glide
1990 BMW K100RS
1992 BMW K75
2002 Harley Davidson VRSCA V-Rod
2008 Honda Nighthawk
2008 Harley Davidson Sportster Custom
Aberdale is offline   Reply With Quote