Your Spouse and Your Bike - Page 6 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > General Motorcycle Related

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 09:25 PM   #51 (permalink)
Bikeless....for now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRider+1 View Post
No problem for me, I pay for mine she pays for hers .

Attachment 34024
Ur bikes are identical???? Really?
Old 11-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #52 (permalink)

Like Dave63 said, it's easier to get forgiveness than permission. I bought mine then told her.
It's been 2 years and she's still pissed. But i got my bike.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:11 PM   #53 (permalink)

My wife has ridden on the back of mine for years. The sales pitch came into play after a serious wreck caused by a careless cager. 6 months out of work and still recovering but I needed a bike. I took out a life insurance policy that will set her up nicely if I happen to go down hard. No prob....Bob.
FLTRMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 12:14 AM   #54 (permalink)
Curmudgeon

Been together 40+ yrs. been telling her since the day we met I was getting another bike. Lived my life around her and my son, he's grown and out on his own.

Sold some property I owned took some of the money bought the bike, she wasn't happy, seems the closer I get to the bone yard the less I care. Thats just me.

P.S. don't take this as marriage advice.
scol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 03:12 AM   #55 (permalink)
Acta Non Verba

First wife stole all the cash I had saved to buy a new bike and spent it on, hell, I don't know...

Second wife paid the sizable down payment, bought me a new helmet and several accessories.

Now she wants my Fat Bob for her own and wants me to get another bike.

So I guess I've been on both sides of the fence.

There's no trick, you just have to be persistent and make sure the lovely lady DOES NOT have access to the account your saving your pennies in. It sucks when you call the bank to wire (this was in the 90s) the hold money to the dealership and get told the account is empty. That makes divorces happen in a hurry.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:45 AM   #56 (permalink)

My first bike I lived thirteen miles away from work, but it took an hour to get there due to traffic. I told the wife (girlfriend at the time)that the bike would save me time in transit, and within a year the bike would pay for itself in gas (paid $3000 cash for the bike, ZX6R not a Harley), and that we cruise on weekends. She agreed. Sold that one due to a terminal illness in her side of the family and we needed the money for travel/lodging expenses. Since then I have been through 3 more bikes and now I just bought my first Harley. She doesn't question me when I want to get a new bike, she just says as long as we can afford it, I'm happy, and she can ride on occasion we're good. Now that's a good woman!!
Tread is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 05:30 AM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNT View Post
Anyone have to make "the pitch" to your wife about why you should buy a Harley? Any strategies that worked/failed/recommended/don't do unless you are tired of life?

My wife is onboard so long as the money involved doesn't affect the family which I honestly thought was fair enough. I've already made some concessions that were easy enough that will more than make up for a $175 a month Harley payment. But I thought I would ask, out of curiousity, what other guys have been through.

Yeah, yeah, I know some of you dudes on here just put your foot down and laid down the law and others of you have wives that are more hard-core about riding than you are - count your lucky stars. But for the rest of us "normal" guys who have wives that make as much money as we do, have a college education like we do, are on more even footing in the marriage, and could probably care less about something like a Harley, how did you handle the big discussion?

JamesNT
Seems to me you got it all figured out Bud
Fatboy206 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 05:56 AM   #58 (permalink)
Imperial Wizard...

Mine has her own fatboy and rides,she dont even bitch about how much I spend,as long as I buy her some Harley crap every once in awhile....plus now I have 2 bikes to ride..and keep serviced ...
Old 11-05-2012, 09:08 AM   #59 (permalink)

Garage
Took my wife for a ride on the new Trike yesterday. She told me to keep the Electra Glide also so we can ride "depending on our mood!"
So, now I have two HD's in the garage..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011FLHTK3.jpg (96.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 2013TRIGLIDE2.jpg (88.3 KB, 22 views)
rossn2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 09:14 AM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3dd View Post
Not a water-proof case for the finances of buying a Harley, but should soften the finances a bit. My vehicle is a Ford F-150, and it gets apr. 18 mpg. At $4/gal it costs me about $60/week commuting to work. The Harley gets 42 mpg and only costs me about $20/week to commute. Living in Colorado i can commute on the bike about 3/4 of the year, or 39 weeks. A $40/week difference for 39 weeks saves me $1560 a year in gas, which means up to $130/month of motorcycle payment is already paid for out of money that would have gone towards gas. Obviously this is a more effective justification if you live somewhere you can commute year round, less effective if you can't use the bike for as many months, and completely pointless if you can't use the bike for commuting. Saddlebags and cold weather gear are highly recommended to compliment this strategy... As it was 28 degrees this morning when I headed into the office, and if I wear my cold weather stuff on the way home this afternoon I might drown in a pool of my own sweat. Hope this helps and good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

I calculated this for myself but I only work 8 miles from home, so the cost savings is minor. Besides, you know your logic is flawed (or at least mine was) because I end up taking the long way to/from work just so I can ride more

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.