Your Spouse and Your Bike - Page 8 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > General Motorcycle Related

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #71 (permalink)

Cant help you..............My wife enjoys riding with me as much as I enjoy having here right there behind me.

She wont let me be without a bike.
Patriot Guard ID #181788
US Navy Veteran

wndchsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #72 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdromero View Post
I calculated this for myself but I only work 8 miles from home, so the cost savings is minor. Besides, you know your logic is flawed (or at least mine was) because I end up taking the long way to/from work just so I can ride more
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasarms View Post
I tried that math for my own peace of mind. In my case, it doesn't really work out. Once you consider the insurance, taxes and the cost of maintenance, it's close to a wash.

$300 insurance
$200 Personal property tax
$200 Lubricants and filters
$250 tire (installed)
$10 registration

Plus, at that mileage, you are going to be doing something to it every year. Brakes, electrical, motor. Something is going to need attention as the miles pile up. Of course, you are saving wear and tear on the cage, but at least in my experience, the cages are cheaper to maintain.

Fortunately, I have never found myself in the position of justifying the bike. You can either choose to be married to the person whom you married, or try to change them into someone else. My wife and I both have learned through observation of others and ourselves that the later is difficult if not impossible.
I did say it wasn't waterproof, but might help. I know the math doesn't add up if you account for the maintenance and the extra miles from taking the long way, much less all the extras you will end up getting, but if all our politicians can skew the numbers in their favor, why can't we? I am fortunate in that I don't need justification, as the wife's Fat Boy Lo is parked in the garage next to my Fat Bob... I was just trying to help a brother out. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
b3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:38 AM   #73 (permalink)
evohogfarts

Hell it was her that talked me into getting a tat{Harley Eagle} that we both got. When we first met She saw a Harley as a American family hard a$$ dont mess with. I'd miss her more then any dam thing, so no dought what ride I'd keep.
She has been so much fun on rides toghther, bitching, kicking,filping, slapping the back of my helmet, go get thet sob when people cut us off when riding. She has been a waitress {server} for almost 40yrs, mostly at biker friendly bars where the wings are hot and the beer is cold. We have been selfish for the most part and dont ride well with others
after reeding all the post one thing for sure, at lest for me, its and extra blessing to share riding a Harley with your other half .

LiveToRideHarleyDavidsonEvo

ltrhdevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #74 (permalink)

I consider myself an expert on this topic! I'm in the exact same situation as you. I can't just say "I'm getting it and I don't care what you think". Your marriage is 50/50 and you want her to happily support you. Not because she is told to support you.

And if my wife sees this...needless to say, she will figure out my game!

Here's what you do. Make her think it's her idea! Here's how.

Let her catch you reading about, looking at, and showing interest in Harleys. Show that you are responsible with rider safety equipment and the laws and not trying to reenact the Hollister rally of '47.

Christmas is coming. If the topic comes up of what you want and the idea of the bike, don't duck it, but don't lay it on thick either. Just address it with your intentions. My wife suggested it as a birthday gift (which is what I had in mind anyway but she thought she had the idea first).

This is what got me my bike. Now she is very supportive with the bike and going to rallies, she buys Harley clothes for her and my daughters, and supports me with building on to the bike.
darkimageempire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:28 AM   #75 (permalink)

I was trying to talk my wife into a new Street Glide, but my wife was afraid it would vibrate like the Sportster I had 20 years ago. A friend loaned me his EG to quiet her fears and it did. After we got off of it she said "You can have a new bike if you buy one of these." I didn't get My Street Glide, but I love my Ultra.
OLDDEADEYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #76 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3OliveMartini View Post
My wife is onboard so long as the money involved doesn't affect the family which I honestly thought was fair enough.

this is a level headed situation...you discussed it.. when money is involved its a good practice .. in any relationship communication is the key! sounds like you guys have it all worked out .. and you have a good foundation to your relationship
I agree 100%. Your first responsibility should be to your wife and family if you want to make your family last. Buying a cycle is a major purchase and shouldn't be taken lightly as buying a Harley is the easy part, it's the accessories and gear that cost just as much after the fact.

I didn't get my first motorcycle until I was married for 20 years (bummer right), Not to say I didn't have some other "stuff" but the timing just wasn't right. I bought my first ride that was used and my wife loved it. The kids were 15 and 17 and we were well under way in our financial way of life. The next year I purchased a brand new bike and we're (wife and I) are all in! At the end of the day all I have is my wife (and my God). "Therefore they are no more two, but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man put asunder" Matt 19:6

Life Church Riders Group Germantown WI
Riding with our Lord!
Knash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #77 (permalink)
MPG'S? Who gives a

Garage
Also, Remind your wife NOT to congradulate you and your skills with a "bewbie back rub" untill you've gained some experience with her on the back.....

It's extremely distracting........
Old 11-06-2012, 01:32 PM   #78 (permalink)
Harley Rider

Garage
I am fortunate to have a loving spouse that enjoys riding with me. She actually let me trade in my 2012 FLSTC yesterday for a 2013 FLHTK as it is much more comfortable for her as well as myself. I consider myself very blessed.
TmikeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #79 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TmikeX View Post
I am fortunate to have a loving spouse that enjoys riding with me. She actually let me trade in my 2012 FLSTC yesterday for a 2013 FLHTK as it is much more comfortable for her as well as myself. I consider myself very blessed.
Bryan, Congrats, look forward to seeing the new bike. Much larger and much larger than a soft tail. She'll enjoy as much as you, well, maybe as much.

Life Church Riders Group Germantown WI
Riding with our Lord!
Knash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #80 (permalink)

In my case, I make 3x-4x what my wife makes and I pay all our expenses, other than gas for her car (unless she uses the gas card I gave her) and her cell phone. The money she makes is hers to spend however she wants. Since I'm footing the bill for practically everything. She couldn't say too much when I went out and bought a new Harley.

Phoenix, AZ
2011 Electra Glide Ultra Limited
[psychedelic purple/vivid black]
phx11 is offline   Reply With Quote