What we ride dictated by other nations? - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > General Motorcycle Related

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 10:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

What we ride dictated by other nations?

December Motorcyclist has a piece where a few execs talk about the future of the industry, specifically as it relates to electric and other non-traditional bikes. The current Director of Motorcycle Product Planning for Polaris-Indian-Victory says that with India, Brazil, and China already accounting for over 25 million bikes sold each year, that as their economies mature they will basically decide the future of the industry and what is brought to market. He states that they will trend toward larger displacement machines but that due to the sheer size of their combined markets they will "dictate industry trends".

So, for longer than Dave has been wrenching or Mongo has been....well, lets not get into what Mongo has been doing all these years ;-) , most of the Asian nations have aspired to build for the US market and take their cues from this market where motorcycles are concerned. Are we soon reaching the point where the opposite becomes true and manufacturers (even US based ones) research, engineer, develop, and bring to market products based on what sells in India, China, and Brazil? Will the choices we have depend on what yuppies in Hyderabad and Beijing want to ride?

Food for thought.

Natty
"if everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." General George S. Patton
Natty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

for the older farts among us (and i am one of them) i don't think it matters what anybody is doing overseas. HD as too strong a hold on the dreams/visions of our generation to be in any real danger. However, there are fewer and fewer of "our generation" every day.

if the MOCO wants something to worry about, they can worry about the youngsters (16-35) who are coming up behind us. IMO they have their own ideas of what is "cool" and it doesn't seem to me that HD has been able to produce a bike that fits that image.

For the sake of HD i hope they are able to address it in a way that keeps them a viable, prosperous company while remaining true to the Harley-Davidson traditions that we all love.

If not, they will become just another American company thrown onto the scrap heap.
huskerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Aaaaayyyyy

Garage
Those numbers would work out if those three large emerging markets were actually in-sync with one another, and that what the people in Brazil want to ride is the same as what they want in India, and that the people in China have the same design desires as those in India and Brazil. I doubt that any one of those markets would be large enough to make that big of a difference for what the US manufacturers will do.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

I don't know folks. Chevy is already leaning toward foreign inspiration. It's only a matter of time before others follow. I'd like to see at least Ford and HD remain American as much as possible but it doesn't look too promising to me.
hogcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
evohogfarts

Gee ! come home from a ride on a Harley, and plug it in {not tender but charger}

LiveToRideHarleyDavidsonEvo

ltrhdevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

As for the American market, every young one I know wants a Harley. Even got daughters that want one.
As for emerging markets for a company, they need to study and do some test markets to see what works best. We may get some smaller displacement Harleys that can fit down narrow streets, split lanes and take rough roads easily. It depends on what niche the execs want to go for.
- Ben Stein
redman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Poser

I see more and more small displacement bikes all the time,
I see BMW and a few others developing very nice sub 800cc bikes and scooters,
I see scooters that are very capable of super slab use,

I so often hear of those that rode the sportster and found it too heavy,

I also believe that a motorcycle company MUST develope and produce capable
bikes that weigh less than 500Lbs and cost LESS than $8,000 and,,,,,,

DONT NEED $500 worth of rocker box work to stop seal leaks at 7,500 miles,
and DONT NEED $1,000 worth of suspension mods to handle like a modern motorcycle should !

I have to manualy adjust my clutch,,easy for me but come on Harley,,W.T.F.

I really like my Sportster, Its the perfect bike for me, AFTER I did all these mods....

New riders, 16-35 for the most part are not going to go this far,
and many like me do not want or need a touring bike,,at 900Lbs...

Ok I'm done,,,

Harley,,you listening ?
Old 11-05-2012, 05:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Osco.................I rolled over 60K yesterday on my '07 and have not had the first oil leak nor have I done anything repair wise but rebuild the front master cylinder.

I will continue to ride my air cooled, gasoline powered Harley until it becomes illegal to do so.

The Asian markets can kiss my a$$ nor do I see Harley alienating its market base which are the 40-60 year old males that are buying them everyday and have been doing so.

Harley may try to attract the younger crowd but they know where their bread is buttered and its those same 40-60 year old guys who have kept them in business this long.

You may say the guys buying Harley's are getting older and dieing off but I dont see a shortage of 40-60 year olds anytime soon.
Patriot Guard ID #181788
US Navy Veteran

wndchsr is offline   Reply With Quote