Riding with a passenger. - Page 3 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > General Motorcycle Related

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #21 (permalink)

Don't forget to tell her if it's chrome and hard........
IT'S HOT.......DON'T TOUCH! Maybe she already knows that.
Bama Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #22 (permalink)
2014 FLHXS

Garage
One thing I'd like to ask the OP.

Maurice, how many miles have you racked up so far? Because there is a big difference in a guy that has 500 miles in a year and one that has 5000.

I didn't let my wife on the back of my bike until I had 1000 miles and that was just around the neighbor hood. I'm at 5000 now and have just gotten to the point where I was letting her on back in any sort of, let call it, dynamic environment.
Wrgiacona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:41 AM   #23 (permalink)

Passenger

Send pics, there my be room on the back of mine for her.
faadpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #24 (permalink)

Have read only the first page in this thread, but I needed to add that you need to anticipate braking sooner and that it will take you a lot longer to stop.

Practice all of your expected maneuvers if you can, with her on the bike, before you go out into traffic. That way, you will know what it feels like.

Carrying a passenger is a whole 'nother ballgame.
Lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #25 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Garage
Im certain that she would be much more comfortable on the back of my Ultra Classic.
The object in life is not to arrive in a pristine well taken care of body; rather it is to slide in sideways, body thoroughly used up, a drink in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming "That was one HELL of a ride!!!"
Tom31w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #26 (permalink)

After she mounts it, tell her to just relax and enjoy the vibratioin.
scspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #27 (permalink)

I also would like to advise you to have her let you know before she gets on/gets off the bike. It's amazing how quickly a bike 'falls' victim to gravity.

Tell her to just sit there and enjoy the ride and to let you do the hard part. No leaning to help you.

Low speed handling will be where you notice the extra passenger weight.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:29 PM   #28 (permalink)
icy
Padawan

Garage
These are called passenger ground rules:

On a small bike (like sportster) get on the bike yourself, straighten the bike, hold the front brake with your feet down, make sure the passenger pegs are open, let the passenger get on

On a larger bike (road king etc) let the passenger get on. Hold the front brake, and get on the bike after the passenger and straighten the bike

Tell the passenger:
- Do not lean, sit straight, through the turns as well. Passenger sits straight!
- Always hold on to you, or the seat, or the sissy bar. "hold on" is the key!
- Never put your feet on the ground, always keep your feet on the pegs. Even when the bike is stopping and you the rider has feet on the ground. Passenger keeps his/her feet on the pegs!
- Passenger gets off first. Stop the bike, hold the front brake, let the passenger get off.
- Let the passenger off first, then park the bike.
- Because of weight distribution change, the bike will behave differently. Get some practice, give yourself more room for errors (leave more braking distance, don't lean that much, don't go too fast) until you understand the new bike. The bike will change personality 100%. Make sure you familiarize yourself before taking chances.
- Braking will be different. Leaning will be different. Acceleration will be different. Safety is involved here. Somebody else's life is in your hands. Think and be extra careful.

Once you get the hang of it, riding with a passenger is no different than riding by yourself. It's just different. You'll get the hang of it.

Oh, also, intercom is great fun. Bluetooth especially (always open two way channel chatter) Get one )

Be safe

Cheerios
icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:21 PM   #29 (permalink)
Ride to Ride

I always tell my pillion riders to watch out for exhaust burns so my suggestion is always get off from the opposite side.

Sent from my HTC One X using Motorcycle.com Free App
Tusharr Kumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:25 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by icy View Post

On a larger bike (road king etc) let the passenger get on. Hold the front brake, and get on the bike after the passenger and straighten the bike

icy, what is your rationale to let the passenger get on first on a larger bike? I have an Electra Glide and the only passengers I have on there are my kids, but I always get on the bike first then let them get on.