riding in the rain - Page 4 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > General Motorcycle Related

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #31 (permalink)
In the wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by icy View Post
...some ride to live, some live to ride, and some like riding when they feel like it. it's all good in my book.

but I do reserve to grin a bit when I hear the words "dude, it's raining || it's cold || there is no sun || it's windy || there's a thunderstorm || a blizzard || nor'easter || it's dark || traffic lights are not working... how can you ride in this?"

Maybe a bit dramatic icy. You sound like a young guy itching to ride every day.
Good on you.
Let talk again in 30 years.
I have done rides where the sleet/rain does nothing but freeze you (me). And thats with a hundred miles to the next gas fill up. With three hundred miles to the days destination. Makes for a very long and frozen day not to mention poor vision, spray etc.
Fun? Ya we laugh through the day. My group is usually not on dressers, so less protection. Man it gets cold lol.
Not at all like a city jaunt across town.
My lifestyle revolves around motorcycles too. I have a Triumph, BSA and a beemer. One I don't give a shit about the weather it sees.
I am now waiting to receive my new Sportster (out of close to 30 I've had over the years). Maybe I shouldn't be here yet...
But a bike is a bike.
I guess there is no point other than I am able to choose when I want to ride my beloved ride.
I understand when its transpo! I craved it then too.
No offense icy, just different takes.

This is holding me over to my Sportster comes in. Its seen rain mud and lots of Captain Morgan.
Lifestyle comes in many forms.

NCWSporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:32 PM   #32 (permalink)
icy
Padawan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnCoat View Post
Maybe a bit dramatic icy. You sound like a young guy itching to ride every day.
Good on you.
Let talk again in 30 years.
I have done rides where the sleet/rain does nothing but freeze you (me). And thats with a hundred miles to the next gas fill up. With three hundred miles to the days destination. Makes for a very long and frozen day not to mention poor vision, spray etc.
Ugh. In 30 years I'll be 70. plus there won't be any Internet left then. I don't think there is any need for offense, or defense here. We're all talking You like this, I like that, whatever, who cares.

Dramatic? Yes. But I'd rather live the drama, than to watch it on television series and talk about it during coffee breaks
icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #33 (permalink)
In the wind

All good icy. I'll be 82 in 30 and won't be riding anyway.
...I'll buy you a beer someday.

I did enjoy your snow pic in the Sportster forum. Looks like you have good gear for the weather.

Can I use that for my sig line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by icy View Post
...I'd rather live the drama, than to watch it on television series and talk about it during coffee breaks
NCWSporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #34 (permalink)
icy
Padawan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnCoat View Post
All good icy. I'll be 82 in 30 and won't be riding anyway.
...I'll buy you a beer someday.

I did enjoy your snow pic in the Sportster forum. Looks like you have good gear for the weather.

Can I use that for my sig line?
I promise to visit you before 30 years and get that beer! I have nothing but respect for you my dear sir.

Sig-line? Sure I have so many corny one liners that I was offered a job as a ghost writer for James Bond movies :P Here's one that I really like:

It's easy to learn how to speak,
It takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something.
-Icy
icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:50 PM   #35 (permalink)

Garage
Rain - now that's something us Limeys do know about. Nothing to be scared of. You need good gear to keep you dry & warm - if you're cold & wet you lose concentration and do silly things. You'll also find your knees creak 30 years down the road if you don't keep 'em warm & dry! You need to double the size of your "bubble" - that's the area all around you that nothing or nobody is allowed to penetrate - and double the distance ahead that you focus on. Most especially, double the distance you normally need to stop in. The bike will be fine but you might consider a generous coat of anti-corrosion spray in all the hidden nooks & crannies where the water collects & doesn't dry quickly. Then enjoy the experience of taking on the elements and winning.
Baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:07 PM   #36 (permalink)

i NEVER feel confident riding in the rain. Can someone tell me why? What do I need to do to feel more confident? I've done ABATE courses (several times and huge supporter), plenty of rides but just can't seem to make the grade (I ride like 50mph in the rain on the highway).

I ride a 2010 SG with a stageII 103 and dunlop american elite rear. I need to work on this but have no clue where to start.
375RGRRGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:22 PM   #37 (permalink)
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 375RGRRGT View Post
i NEVER feel confident riding in the rain. Can someone tell me why? What do I need to do to feel more confident? I've done ABATE courses (several times and huge supporter), plenty of rides but just can't seem to make the grade (I ride like 50mph in the rain on the highway).

I ride a 2010 SG with a stageII 103 and dunlop american elite rear. I need to work on this but have no clue where to start.
Give a good rain 15 mins to wash loose road and oil out of your way and then have at it. Slow down. Don't override your comfort and confidence threshold.

Lane ruts have less oil than the center, but may puddle. If they're puddled, seek high ground in the middle.

Then, experience is all you need. Practice, practice.

Chief Illiniwek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:57 PM   #38 (permalink)
Hit it she goes boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 375RGRRGT View Post

+1 on what Chief said, you've gotta ride your own ride while gaining experience. Riding in rain is just a different set of circumstances to adjust to. Use your head, practice, practice, practice. Watch the oil slicks at intersections, and gas stations, metal is slick.. but if you've taken the courses I know I'm not telling you anything new. Takes time, don't rush it.

"Give her full throttle till ya see God... then back off"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diezel View Post
Golds bike sounds like a 66' Chevelle. It's amazing.
GotGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #39 (permalink)

I'm pretty cautious in the rain too. It makes me nervous not knowing how much traction I really have.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #40 (permalink)
Hit it she goes boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray-zer View Post
I'm pretty cautious in the rain too. It makes me nervous not knowing how much traction I really have.
Not saying this to be a smart @ss for once.. but set yourself up, no one around, slow speed, stay straight, start with slowest speed first then hit your back brake. Speed it up a bit, do it again..stay off the front period, until you get the feel of how well the bike is stopping for you. Cautious is a good thing.. nervous, not so much. Huge parking lot is a good place.

"Give her full throttle till ya see God... then back off"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diezel View Post
Golds bike sounds like a 66' Chevelle. It's amazing.
GotGold is offline   Reply With Quote