I had no idea... - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > General Motorcycle Related

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Go Army!

I had no idea...

So I’m checking the coverage on my insurance and noticed I had $3,000 listed as “Additional Equipment” on my bike. Thinking that was low, I decide to add up all the receipts over the past three years for all the modifications and stuff I’ve purchased (SE Stage I, V&H Big Shot Longs, oil cooler, floor boards, fender rails, visors, switch housings, internally wired bars, leathers, helmets, gloves, tools, oil changes, maintenance, tires, installation cost, labor, etc.) Holy Crap! I’m at $17,545.00 and some change. And that doesn’t include the cost of the ride. So, with that I decided to go for broke and upgrade to a SE Stage II Big Bore Kit (103ci with 255 cams) in time for Spring Gotta love it!

So, what are you into for your “Way of Life?”

2014 CVO Road King (FLHRSE)
Titanium Dust and Galactic Black
ClassichHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

A few years ago I put together an Excel spreadsheet where it keeps a running total of everything that I spend on the bike as well as things that I sell. A year or so ago I looked at the total and almost fainted.
I think my bike is pretty nice, but it's certainly not a custom. I hope my wife never sees that spreadsheet.
I no longer track the amount of money I spend on it.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Garage
Bike $21k, exhaust system $1500, chrome & accessories $2000, seat, pegs etc...$1500

Riding 10,000 miles this year (4000 with my close friends) Priceless!

Life Church Riders Group Germantown WI
Riding with our Lord!
Knash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

I don't even want to know!
hogcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Just installed set Andrews cams and powder cote engine parts,ANOTHER $1700... Already thinking bout next project Friend of mine just purchased a SE rode glide said he won't spend a dollar on upgrades,that was a month ago,he's already into it for another &5000 gotta love it
Sire86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogcowboy View Post
I don't even want to know!
Same here.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Natty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

I don't wanna know and you can't make me...............
webco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

I don't really want to know and more importantly I wouldn't want to highlight that to my wife or I'd probably find myself having to buy new carpet or new furniture soon
Old 11-18-2012, 08:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

I've been with progressive for several years through my independant insurance carrier. Few months ago I read on here about Progressives support for this current administration. Well after reading that post I got to looking at my policy and what I discovered was I had coverage up to a certain amount, I forget how much right now, and would have to check. Anyhow in the fine print it states that the coverage is only good for factory installed accessories. So like most everyone I put accessories and bling on my bike to make it mine, which in doing that myself and because they are not factory installed they are not covered. I called my agent and explained to them the situation of the owner doing upgrades and not being covered in theft or damage. She said no its covered and I pointed out the clause in the policy. She said she would check on it. Well it's been two months and Im still waiting. So when my renewel comes up, I'm no longer staying with progessive. Don't know if it affects any other policies but I'm going to be sure to check it out before paying for a new policy with a new company. The agent did say well if you keep all of your receipts for your accessories you would get re imbersed, I said how can that be if they are not a factory installed part, but owner installed, as I said I'm still waiting for the answer. Check you policies guys/gals.
Ron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:58 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
I've been with progressive for several years through my independant insurance carrier. Few months ago I read on here about Progressives support for this current administration. Well after reading that post I got to looking at my policy and what I discovered was I had coverage up to a certain amount, I forget how much right now, and would have to check. Anyhow in the fine print it states that the coverage is only good for factory installed accessories. So like most everyone I put accessories and bling on my bike to make it mine, which in doing that myself and because they are not factory installed they are not covered. I called my agent and explained to them the situation of the owner doing upgrades and not being covered in theft or damage. She said no its covered and I pointed out the clause in the policy. She said she would check on it. Well it's been two months and Im still waiting. So when my renewel comes up, I'm no longer staying with progessive. Don't know if it affects any other policies but I'm going to be sure to check it out before paying for a new policy with a new company. The agent did say well if you keep all of your receipts for your accessories you would get re imbersed, I said how can that be if they are not a factory installed part, but owner installed, as I said I'm still waiting for the answer. Check you policies guys/gals.
I think most bike policies state that. I've had bikes stolen/damaged and parts with receipts was never an issue. Get your agent to put it in writing if it makes you nervous and you should be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Smitty404 is offline   Reply With Quote