HD Seat Identification Help - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > General Motorcycle Related

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

HD Seat Identification Help

I am attempting to help a Disabled Vet business to identify a seat that was acquired from a military member's living estate sale. Unfortunately, none of the folks involved are close to a dealer and none of them know anything about motorcycles. I would like to see them get fair market value on the items that they are selling, especially since fellow Vets will benefit. The bottom is felt covered and there are no obvious numbers other than the infamous RDW numbers found on most HD seats and often mistaken as part numbers by non riders. I acquired some photos and would appreciate a gut check from other members before I try to explain the pics to a local dealer. There are other HD parts from the estate sale, but those part numbers have proven easier to find. Thanks in advance for any assistance that you can provide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tribal art view.JPG (31.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg tribal art top view.JPG (23.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg back attachment point.JPG (22.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg back view.JPG (31.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg top view.JPG (26.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg bottom.JPG (27.1 KB, 23 views)
thedavidzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Try'n to behave

I don't know about the part numbers, but that looks like the underside of my seat. Same type of attachment points....

I ride an '81 FXWG. Let me know what your asking for it, because I might be interested in test fitting/buying it if it works.

Good luck!

Edit to add: BTW, I am in VA too. Virginia Beach to be specific, and retired Navy.
Pred8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
MPG'S? Who gives a

Garage
I'm thinkin, the H-D Custom seat program... (Sidekick two up)

www.h-d.com/customseat.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for feedback

I suspected that it came from the customization program by HD, but the tribal symbol on it is no longer offered so I can't confirm. If I can bracket the years, then I may be able to narrow it down to a few part numbers and thus make the seat a more inviting purchase. Anyone know when HD started the customization program and how I might track down earlier patterns used? Google hasn't gotten me far as of yet. If I get the seat (it is in Kansas currently), then I will see if there is any interest from forum members in testing it out. In the meantime, I can wait a few more days to see if other members chime in with their best guess. thanks
Old 11-19-2012, 09:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

I believe the Custom Seat Program started in 2008.

Select Pattern, Inlay Material and Stitching Colors in 800 Possible Combinations

A new Custom Seat Program from Harley-Davidson Genuine Motor Accessories lets a customer design a leather seat that is hand-built to their specifications. Available for the solo Brawler seat (P/N 52246-08, $399.95) or the two-up Sidekick seat (P/N 52193-08, $479.95) designed to fit most 2006-later FX Softail models and 2007-later FLSTF Fat Boy and FLSTSC Softail Springer Classic models, the Custom Seat Program offers 800 possible design and materials combinations, making it possible to create a seat that is truly individual.

The design process begins at the Custom Seat Program website, Custom Seat Program | Harley-Davidson USA, where on-screen prompts help the customer select from two seat styles, eight stitching patterns including flames, skulls and tribal designs; eight inlay color options; and 10 stitching color options. When the design is complete, the customer takes a print-out of the seat design details to a local Harley-Davidson dealer, which will submit the Custom Seat Program order. The standard lead time for seat delivery is three weeks.
RAD_Softail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

HD seat customization

Great info, thanks. I didn't realize that the program didn't begin until 08. I ran the options on the website, but couldn't find the pattern found on my mystery seat. Perhaps the seat pre-dates the program or HD allowed the buyer to take poetic license with the design. That said, I am still on a quest to ID the seat, at least by bike and year if not by part number.