4,000,000th Harley - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > General Motorcycle Related

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 05:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

4,000,000th Harley

This is a really cool story. I hope the link works.

Summerville man in Harley’s hog heaven on bike No. 4,000,000 – The Post and Courier
Mad Dog 64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Very cool story..........

When Summerville’s Robert Shingler and his wife, Susan, drive back into the Lowcountry this week from Florida, they’ll be pulling some special cargo that some Harley Davidson collectors would die for.

The pair was at the Gator Harley Davidson dealer in Leesburg, Fla., on Tuesday to pick up their “one of a kind” bike.

Looking at it, most people probably couldn’t tell what makes it special, according to dealership owner John Malik. The midnight blue Road Glide doesn’t have any unique markings on it.

“It’s just one of the bikes that came down the assembly line,” said Malik.

It’s the order in which it went down that assembly line that makes the bike special for Harley enthusiasts, fans and collectors. The bike is the 4,000,000th bike built at the plant in York, Pa., the company’s largest manufacturing facility.

Shingler was attending a hog rally in Florida a few weeks ago when he visited the Leesburg showroom and picked it out without knowing its significance.

“We were told this was a special bike,” he said.

Shingler said the store’s owner was vague about defining “special.” After a few days, Shingler decided to pull the trigger and purchase it.

“When we put our deposit down, they said you can’t take the bike and you have to tell us when you’re going to pick it up,” Shingler said.

On Tuesday, Shingler and his wife headed back south to pick up the bike armed with the recent knowledge of the bike’s special feature. A few days ago they finally caught wind of why the bike was important to the company.

“How lucky can you be? It’s like winning the lottery. What are the chances you come across a bike this significant?” Shingler said.

Shingler is just the type of rider Harley Davidson leaders wanted to bestow the honor of ownership, according to Malik, who said the company’s leaders had worried about what would happen if word got out about the bike.

“Collectors would come buy it and try to re-sell it. They wanted it to go to a regular rider,” Malik said.

Shingler has been riding Harleys since 2007 and averages 7,000 miles a year. “That bike was a collector’s item before it ever hit the floor. There won’t ever be a 4,000,000th Harley Davidson bike made again. That’s a one-time deal,” Shingler said.

Shingler even got to speak to the plant manager over the phone, who told Shingler that he and his wife will soon get an expense-paid trip up to tour the plant where his “baby” was born.

Malik said he believes the bike is probably worth double its value but estimates collectors would pay even more if they could get their hands on it. Don’t think the Harley will be encased in Plexiglas anytime soon though, according to Shingler, who said he intends to put miles on the bike.

“I’m waiting on the phone call from Jay Leno saying he’d give me $2 million for it,” he joked.

Even then, Shingler doesn’t think he could part ways with his “new baby” and his ticket to hog heaven.

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
MPG'S? Who gives a

Garage
Wow ! Great story. I might be tempted to unload it for a BIG bunch O cash though.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Imperial Wizard...

Can you say...FOR SALE....
Old 11-21-2012, 06:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
VA Fender Bender

Garage
"There won’t ever be a 4,000,000th Harley Davidson bike made again. That’s a one-time deal,” Shingler said.

What is the difference? There will never be a 4,000,001 again either???

http://dmwphoto.smugmug.com

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard
Steven Wright
dmwphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Thunder Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwphoto View Post
"There won’t ever be a 4,000,000th Harley Davidson bike made again. That’s a one-time deal,” Shingler said.

What is the difference? There will never be a 4,000,001 again either???
Nice to have that particular number as it has been designated a milestone by the company...I am happy for this couple, just as happy i am for my own recent Harley purchase that signified my return to the road after raising my family...Congratulations.

JayD's journey back to the road rebuild thread...click here to see the journey...

JayD's New Softail

JayD's Iron Butt Ride Report

JayD © 2012
I.B.A #55000 FarRider # 690

Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting “Holy shit, what a ride!”
~ Mavis Leyrer
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Very cool for the Moco to keep it hush until it was sold. Also cool that Shingler's gonna ride that sucka!
Burgundy9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Garage
I am thrilled that it wasn't another batwing
Don't hate on me for that , but I really feel that it is cool that the 4millionth one was the "other" Harley
wrnchtchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

Garage
I'd ride it, plain and simple.

Life Church Riders Group Germantown WI
Riding with our Lord!
Knash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
kickstand grinder

Very surprised that they even said "special" when describing it.

Congrats to the man.

any pics out there of it?
Whiskey Priests M/C
- part time
Road Captain of "Numb asses" M/C
59panhead is offline   Reply With Quote