F*&#%#$@ken rain,,, - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > General Motorcycle Related

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 10:36 AM   #11 (permalink)
Freedom Fighter

That mist is common here in Cali, especially in the winter months. I've just got a regular Walmart bike cover and it seems to work ok at best. Still gets a little moist but nothing compared to no cover
maddogv21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:52 AM   #12 (permalink)
Addicted Since 2010

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natty View Post
Lol, that is funny chit.

Dunno if you have stored the bike for winter or if you are still riding it? If you are storing it for a couple months then maybe something I learned about from a local old timer who's vintage BSA looks like the day he took it home new. Every winter when he stored it he gave it a thorough cleaning (never with a hose), made sure it was bone dry, then covered the entire bike (anything that was metal) in a very thin film of plain old motor oil. In spring he took a dry shop towel and wiped it down and got as much off as he could. I would imagine the first few rides of the season were a bit smelly from residual oil burning off but I'll tell you, it certainly did work.

There wasn't a single spec of rust anywhere on that bike. Not on the frame, spokes, any chrome, nowhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
I read that on here long ago...

I have thought about doing it, as the only bare metal I have that I am worried about is the rims and the little bits of chrome on the pipes and bars and trees. I wouldn't have that much oil around at all, at least not too much that I couldn't easily clean off by spring. The flurries are flying here now as i look out the window. Makes me very very sad. I hope that maybe we can get a few more nice days. I need 300 more miles to hit my years goal....

"Mr. Lahey is this you talking or the liquor?"

"Randy...(takes a swig)...I am the Liquor!!!"
XL1200R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:38 AM   #13 (permalink)
STAND AND FIGHT!

My favorite gun protectant is described as "a solubilized wax.." and is near magical.

The solvents would eat paint so this isn't answer but the concept should hold.

Isn't there some spray-on wax type protectant about half-way to PAM?

My most favored and incredibly durable acrylic wax is water based,

you can put it in wash water instead of soap so it could be diluted and sprayed on,

it's a bitch to wax off if you use too much, so maybe as a deliberate persistent

moisture barrier layer it would be beneficial, off season ?

Some days you feel like TORQUE!
Some days you feel like HORSEPOWER!

Once you establish yourself as an eccentric,
you rarely have to explain your actions.

Something a guy at a HD parts counter told me 30 years ago,
"You know what I'd do with that bike if it was mine? RIDE IT! Nothin' else ."
Nathang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #14 (permalink)

I have used the Harley bubble and has worked awesome.

Sent from my EVO using Motorcycle.com Free App
K&N Air Charger
Power Commander V
nolonger8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

I would put it in the house but it would mean no more riding on those few sunny days to come,,,,, to hard to get it up and down the stairs,,,, thanks for the link and other great ideas. I have a woolen cover with a heat lamp under it right now to see how that works,,, ride on
grouser is offline   Reply With Quote