Motorcycle Passing Etiquette - Page 10 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > General Motorcycle Related

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 10:08 AM   #91 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by misinlink View Post
As a former troop you should realize this is dangerous at highway speeds period.
Speed is not dangerous if the rules of the road are followed. In Germany they have highways with no speed limits, it's safe because people follow the rules. Traffic enforcement their is based on safety, not revenue.

Quote:
From your posts you would say it is okay to travel/pass and or lane split in either lane above the posted limit if you feel you are being held up. After all the Blue Wall would apply to you, right?
Lane splitting is only accepted in CA. Yes, I will pass and/or split slower moving traffic, that is holding me up.

Quote:
As a former troop, can you please site the statue for reference and edification of the group as it is written in the last state which you worked. Specifically where it would permit or be acceptable to lane split at highway speeds.
Like I said above, it's only accepted in CA.

Like most people I choose to break the rules, I also understand I could be ticketed for it.

Just most of the people that own H-D's try their best to make their bike illegal on the road. It's a chance you have to be willing to accept.
Markk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:12 AM   #92 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDDEADEYE View Post
And someone passing me in my lane isn't?
That would be criminal offence....................civil and criminal are two different animals.

Think back to OJ, he was found not guilty in a criminal court, but was found guilt in a civil court.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #93 (permalink)
I'll help you hide the body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markk9 View Post
Speed is not dangerous if the rules of the road are follow. In Germany they have highways with no speed limits, it's safe because people follow the rules. Traffic enforcement their is based on safety, not revenue.

Lane splitting is only accepted in CA. Yes, I will pass and/or split slower moving traffic, that is holding me up.

Like I said above, it's only accepted in CA.

Like most people I choose to break the rules, I also understand I could be ticketed for it.

Just most of the people that own H-D's try their best to make their bike illegal on the road. It's a chance you have to be willing to accept.
Typical LEO mentality, everyone else breaking your set of rules are A-holes, but a Cop is entitled to break them or make them up as they go.

For the most part I respect and even have close friends that are on the job, but you pal, appear to be in the percentage that have the better than others attitude, or the rules don't apply to me.

borrowed from gtrman66
Rules:
#1. Post #1: "New to Community"
#2. Buy a HD Service Manual, best $70 you'll spend
#3. Try the search function, we might have already answered your question
#4. Don't post classifieds until you meet the rules
#5. Don't bad mouth dealers until we know you, there are always 2 sides
misinlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:15 AM   #94 (permalink)

We can go round and round on this.

Lane splitting is done every day by tens of thousands of motorcycles in CA and the rest of world. Only the 49 states in US have rules against lane splitting.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:18 AM   #95 (permalink)

Quote:
Typical LEO mentality, everyone else breaking your set of rules are A-holes, but a Cop is entitled to break them or make them up as they go.

For the most part I respect and even have close friends that are on the job, but you pal, appear to be in the percentage that have the better than others attitude, or the rules don't apply to me.
Why, I didn't give other bikers tickets for lane splitting. I never wrote a ticket that was not deserved. Shit, on the highway I could set my RDR for 15 over and give plenty of tickets.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:13 AM   #96 (permalink)
In the wind

Great thread. Riding is always a risk. Passing in a lane already occupied by another 'motorcyclist' that you do not know is poor road manners.

What I see here is a lot of disrespect to other types of motorcyclists.
Harley riders don't like other motorcyclists. Crotch rockets don't respect the 'biker' crowd.
I like all motorcycles. I will wave to anyone first, and if not, at least return the wave.
Passing in someone else's lane is wrong and not standard protocol, unless you and your buddies are used to it. I do it only with my familiar riding friends.
Crotchrockets are wrong for hauling 100 mph everywhere.
A group of 'motorcycles' going 50-55 holding up bikes AND cars deserves to get passed as rude as they hold up traffic, and is just wrong.
That is fg ridiculous. Pick up the speed or get in your car. I will pass you at top speed.
A motorcycle is a freedom machine, something to push the limits on.
Live it up. Sensibly if you can.
Risk can be calculated. Gas it up, as I will on my new and first Harley, a Sportster.
30 years of riding and still going.
I wish all motorcycles would give each other respect and ride within reason around each other.
Now lets go have a beer.

I generally agree with Mark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markk9 View Post
Speed is not dangerous if the rules of the road are followed. In Germany they have highways with no speed limits, it's safe because people follow the rules. Traffic enforcement their is based on safety, not revenue.

NCWSporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:27 AM   #97 (permalink)
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPWendtinc View Post
Passing in my lane would be very hazardous to all parties involved. It would also put you at the wrong end of a Paulie Jr. look alike with a pink Polo shirt on.
Without the pink Polo, I'd never tell the two of you apart.

Chief Illiniwek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:20 AM   #98 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnCoat View Post
Great thread. Riding is always a risk.
Yes it is. And as safe riders we do what we can to limit the amount of risk we take. Passing someone in the same lane, no matter what speed, is ADDING to the risk... not limiting the risk.
2betterthan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #99 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2betterthan4 View Post
Yes it is. And as safe riders we do what we can to limit the amount of risk we take. Passing someone in the same lane, no matter what speed, is ADDING to the risk... not limiting the risk.
Now your talkin'. Nuff said, there it is.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #100 (permalink)
Go SEAHAWKS!!

Garage
Really good thread! While I tend to move through traffic on the superslab by using the left lanes frequently, I also keep a close watch on what may be coming up on me even faster. If I see a faster bike coming up behind me in the fast lane, I will usually give them the slowdown sign, then if I can speed up, move over and let em go.

As for the 2 lane, If I am alone and there is a long line of oncoming, I do the same, give the slowdown sign, move to the right of my lane and motion them by. Only rarely have I been surprised this way and yep, pisses me off too!! Damn stupid in my opinion if they haven't made their presence known first.

"It's easy to curb the freedoms of others when you see no immediate impact on your own."
Malcolm Forbes

"Give the gift of your absence to those who do not appreciate your presence."

2000 Wide Glide Stage II
StillBill is offline   Reply With Quote