Motorcycle Passing Etiquette - Page 4 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > General Motorcycle Related

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 10:40 PM   #31 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAD_Softail View Post
Wrong. While Lane splitting isn't illegal here in California, it isn't legal either. It's not covered in the Vehicle Statutes at all. They only overlook it in stalled or slowed traffic. What that douche-nozzle did is highly dangerous and illegal even here in California .
lane sharing IS LEGAL in CA,,,,,, it is not recommended by the DMV and the rules of engagement are not clear,,,,, the code states it's legal to lane share if done safely,,,,, that leaves it pretty much up to the officer that sites you for it
read here;
California Motorcycle Lane Sharing
grouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:17 PM   #32 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markk9 View Post
Totally unsafe and uncool to block others, we are not the cops. If some one wants to go faster, I let them by, they may save me from a ticket down the road.
Maybe it's just me but it seemed from the OP they were already moving faster than the right lane traffic only in a group. Seems no different than coming up behind a semi in the left lane.

Just how big a hurry are you in anyway?

Either wait until they pull over into the right or find an opening on the right and then pass.

Running in the left or passing lane just because it's there isn't cool (and can get you a ticket in Missouri) but then, neither is being a moron.
secoleman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:20 PM   #33 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouser View Post
lane sharing IS LEGAL in CA,,,,,, it is not recommended by the DMV and the rules of engagement are not clear,,,,,the code states it's legal to lane share if done safely,,,,, that leaves it pretty much up to the officer that sites you for it
read here;
California Motorcycle Lane Sharing
The California Vehicle Code does not address lane sharing or splitting. Therefore it is not technically legal nor illegal as I previously stated. The CHP allows it if it is done in a safe and prudent manner. The general rule is 10 mph above vehicle speed. So, if you come upon stalled traffic, you may slowly pass the stalled traffic in your lane if it is safe to do so. This gives extreme discretion to the CHP Officer to ticket.
RAD_Softail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:20 AM   #34 (permalink)
Seņor Member

I think the passer should have waited for the group to move over to the right lane allowing him to pass in the left.

That said, I think the pack should have taken the first safe opportunity to do so. Would they have moved over if the passer had waited? I hope so. I don't care for speeders that decide how much over the speed limit it ok by parking it in the passing lane.

Not saying that's what the pack was doing, just saying I don't care for it when someone does.

Chief Illiniwek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #35 (permalink)

I'm tried of getting stuck behind a slow moving parade of H-D's that refuse to give way to faster traffic. I ride an H-D and will pass groups of slower moving bikes, with out much of a second thought, if I can see far enough ahead.

I have no problem lane splitting the azzhats cars that like to play cop, by driving side by side down the highway.

I have never been held up by groups of sportbikes, or ADV style bikes, only the H-D's in parade formation.
Markk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markk9 View Post
I'm tried of getting stuck behind a slow moving parade of H-D's that refuse to give way to faster traffic. I ride an H-D and will pass groups of slower moving bikes, with out much of a second thought, if I can see far enough ahead.

I have no problem lane splitting the azzhats cars that like to play cop, by driving side by side down the highway.

I have never been held up by groups of sportbikes, or ADV style bikes, only the H-D's in parade formation.
Wow man. To be "tired" of something means it must happen a lot. I very very VERY rarely ever encounter a problem of "slow moving parade of H-D's".

Roll ever how you want to roll, man. Every man just needs to be willing to deal with the consequences of his actions. You sound a bit like a crotch-rocketeer to me, but I actually don't give a f--k. The bunch I ride with, well, I don't think ANYBODY ever accused us of "holding up faster moving traffic." If you came close to endangering one of 'em, the whole group would follow you clear off to the next country for a meeting. Every damn one of 'em.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #37 (permalink)

Garage
Why is it that when I hear about this it is always someone on a crotch rocket or on something similar. I have never heard of anyone on an HD, Victory or other cruiser doing stupid stuff like this.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:20 AM   #38 (permalink)
2014 FLHXS

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilJo View Post
Wow man. To be "tired" of something means it must happen a lot. I very very VERY rarely ever encounter a problem of "slow moving parade of H-D's".
No we just have log trucks.
Wrgiacona is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #39 (permalink)

wow I can't be leave all the crying. you never said how fast he passed your group did he blow by or pass a few mph faster? I ride both a crotch rocket and a ultra classic . it don't matter which one Iam on I will passa slower group of bikes or cars, but I do it in a safe manner . I would love some one to stop me and bitch me out for passing them. one of us would be riding home with no teeth. just cause you ride a HD don't make you special. ok stoping my rant

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
hdzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdzx View Post
wow I can't be leave all the crying. you never said how fast he passed your group did he blow by or pass a few mph faster? I ride both a crotch rocket and a ultra classic . it don't matter which one Iam on I will passa slower group of bikes or cars, but I do it in a safe manner . I would love some one to stop me and bitch me out for passing them. one of us would be riding home with no teeth. just cause you ride a HD don't make you special. ok stoping my rant

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
I can't "be leave" you consider any of these posts crying.
OLDDEADEYE is offline   Reply With Quote