Motorcycle Passing Etiquette - Page 5 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 12:31 PM
Senior Member
 
2betterthan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 781
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdzx View Post
wow I can't be leave all the crying. you never said how fast he passed your group did he blow by or pass a few mph faster? I ride both a crotch rocket and a ultra classic . it don't matter which one Iam on I will passa slower group of bikes or cars, but I do it in a safe manner . I would love some one to stop me and bitch me out for passing them. one of us would be riding home with no teeth. just cause you ride a HD don't make you special. ok stoping my rant


Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
No one is saying they're more special because of what they ride. There IS, however, an almost cultural difference in the way H-D owners and crotch rocket owners ride their bikes. The sport bikers tend to speed excessively and take more risks in traffic. That's just the cold fact of the matter.
No matter what... if you're passing someone in the same lane you're not passing safely for either rider.
2betterthan4 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 12:33 PM
I'll help you hide the body
 
misinlink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: S Florida
Posts: 6,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2betterthan4 View Post
No one is saying they're more special because of what they ride. There IS, however, an almost cultural difference in the way H-D owners and crotch rocket owners ride their bikes. The sport bikers tend to speed excessively and take more risks in traffic. That's just the cold fact of the matter.
No matter what... if you're passing someone in the same lane you're not passing safely for either rider.
This my friends is what it boils down to. Not passing or not, but passing in the same lane!

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.



borrowed from gtrman66
Rules:
#1. Post #1: "New to Community"
#2. Buy a HD Service Manual, best $70 you'll spend
#3. Try the search function, we might have already answered your question
#4. Don't post classifieds until you meet the rules
#5. Don't bad mouth dealers until we know you, there are always 2 sides
misinlink is online now  
post #43 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 12:35 PM
Senior Member
 
hdzx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ca
Posts: 434
ok your right crying wasn't the right word to use. I just pisses me off that some HD riders think there better than a non HD rider. the OP is right calling the other rider a azz if he put him and the others in danger. But he doesn't say how he passed them, so everybody to jump on the wagon and call the rider names are crybabies. know a few HD riders that if.thay were broke down no cell or miles to town I wave and not even think of stopping
hdzx is online now  
post #44 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 12:40 PM
I'll help you hide the body
 
misinlink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: S Florida
Posts: 6,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdzx View Post
ok your right crying wasn't the right word to use. I just pisses me off that some HD riders think there better than a non HD rider. the OP is right calling the other rider a azz if he put him and the others in danger. But he doesn't say how he passed them, so everybody to jump on the wagon and call the rider names are crybabies. know a few HD riders that if.thay were broke down no cell or miles to town I wave and not even think of stopping

Did you read the OP...

I suddenly noticed a BMW/Suzuki alike bike came up behind me and lane split-ed to pass me and the rest of the bikes ahead of me. (I was 5th) It scared me quite a bit because I did not expect anything (bike or car) to pass me in the same lane I was in.


Taken straight from post#1.

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.



borrowed from gtrman66
Rules:
#1. Post #1: "New to Community"
#2. Buy a HD Service Manual, best $70 you'll spend
#3. Try the search function, we might have already answered your question
#4. Don't post classifieds until you meet the rules
#5. Don't bad mouth dealers until we know you, there are always 2 sides
misinlink is online now  
post #45 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 12:43 PM
Senior Member
 
hdzx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ca
Posts: 434
I see your point about passing in the same lane. But it can be done safely some people don't like and never will and some it won't bother if its done safe. if he would of blew by me yes it would piss me off, but to go buy at a save speed I would be ok with it. I Gus's being on race tracks and passing at high speeds make Hy passing not intimidating
hdzx is online now  
post #46 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 12:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 513
Garage
removed post
secoleman57 is offline  
post #47 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 12:48 PM
Senior Member
 
hdzx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ca
Posts: 434
Yes came up behind me not blow by me. he states thay ride 65 to 70 did he get passed at 75 or 100. I not saying what happens was right ! But every instance is different
hdzx is online now  
post #48 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 12:51 PM
Senior Member
 
hdzx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ca
Posts: 434
I can see we will not see eye to eye on this so Iam letting it go
hdzx is online now  
post #49 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 12:54 PM
I'll help you hide the body
 
misinlink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: S Florida
Posts: 6,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdzx View Post
Yes came up behind me not blow by me. he states thay ride 65 to 70 did he get passed at 75 or 100. I not saying what happens was right ! But every instance is different
You are wrong.
Even if I see you, how do you know what my intentions are?
How do I know what your intentions are?

Passing in the same lane is illegal and more importantly stupid.

So you believe they(passing rider) have the right to break the law and place the lives of others in danger...

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.



borrowed from gtrman66
Rules:
#1. Post #1: "New to Community"
#2. Buy a HD Service Manual, best $70 you'll spend
#3. Try the search function, we might have already answered your question
#4. Don't post classifieds until you meet the rules
#5. Don't bad mouth dealers until we know you, there are always 2 sides
misinlink is online now  
post #50 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 12:57 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdzx View Post
I see your point about passing in the same lane. But it can be done safely some people don't like and never will and some it won't bother if its done safe. if he would of blew by me yes it would piss me off, but to go buy at a save speed I would be ok with it. I Gus's being on race tracks and passing at high speeds make Hy passing not intimidating
The highway is not a race track. If you're passing traffic in the same lane and the traffic you're passing is going at or above the posted speed limit then it is NOT SAFE to pass. Doing so puts other riders lives in jeopardy especially if a rider is startled to the point of flinching and maybe veering into one of his staggard riding companions.

If you absolutely need to pass then might I suggest that signaling the group of your intentions to do so would be much appreciated .
RAD_Softail is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome