Motorcycle Passing Etiquette - Page 6 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > General Motorcycle Related

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 01:15 PM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdzx View Post
I see your point about passing in the same lane. But it can be done safely some people don't like and never will and some it won't bother if its done safe. if he would of blew by me yes it would piss me off, but to go buy at a save speed I would be ok with it. I Gus's being on race tracks and passing at high speeds make Hy passing not intimidating
It's not about being intimidated. It's simply NEVER safe to do. A track is a controlled environment. The street is not. One of the biggest problems in traffic today are people riding as though they're on a track. I don't care how many hours you have on the track... it's still NEVER safe to do on the road. PERIOD! It's not about how good a rider you are. You simply don't know what other riders/drivers are going to do. If you want to risk your life then go ahead, but don't take my life with you.
2betterthan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:18 PM   #52 (permalink)

It maybe illegal in your state. not mine, and passing in same lane can be done safe !
hdzx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #53 (permalink)

2bet your right I don't ride on the street like I do on the track. Iam just saying you can pass in same lane safe. pull up beside other rider slowly go on buy them when thay know your there
Old 11-27-2012, 01:29 PM   #54 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
It maybe illegal in your state. not mine, and passing in same lane can be done safe !
Doesn't matter how many times you keep repeating that. The fact of the matter is that passing in the same lane at highway speeds or faster IS NOT SAFE

There are too many factors in play to ever make it safe. Even passing stalled traffic at a slow 10 mph is not safe or recommended, both by the DMV and by the CHP.

Here in California we take a risk when passing in the same lane. Is it an acceptable risk? I guess that depends on the circumstances. One thing for sure though, if there's ever an accident involving a motorcyclist passing in the same lane, no matter what the speed or circumstances, the motorcycle rider will ALWAYS be found liable...period.
RAD_Softail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:32 PM   #55 (permalink)

I don't wish to die. Yet take another rider with me. Just cause some one thinks it not safe doesn't mean it is or isn't . that's one own feelings. Rad true about splitting and accident . I realize some people will never accept lane sharing or passing didn't mean to step on anyone's toes this is just my own 2 cents about the matter
Old 11-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #56 (permalink)
Pork Jockey

He'll learn his lesson when he does that to a group of 1%ers...

I got these lines in my face, tryin' to straighten out the wrinkles in my life... Ramblin' Jack Elliot/Guy Clark

The sweet bird of youth, was sittin' on my shoulder yesterday, but she's always changin' partners and I always knew she'd up and fly away... Larry Mahan/Guy Clark

Vaya con Dios, Rick "Rubberdown" Massey ~ May you rest in eternal peace
Mongo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #57 (permalink)
Banned

In most states, abusing the passing lane is punishable by fine. But so is passing someone in the same lane who is abusing the passing lane. Two wrongs don't make a right.

The OP was right to complain because there was traffic in the right lane when the asshat blew by them in the same lane. The asshat should have waited until either the group was clear to move over to the right lane or the asshat was clear to move over to the right lane and pass. If the group refused to move over to the right lane when able to do so, then they would have been abusing the passing lane.

There are rules of the road for a reason. Everyone that shares the roadways need to follow these rules for the safety of all. Those who refuse to follow the rules usually pay in the end...sometimes at the cost of their own life or that of others.
RAD_Softail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:15 PM   #58 (permalink)

Everybody sees things differently that ok. It's good to have your own views. rules are there for everybody's safety yes. I have been pass by a chp motor cop and seem it done many times would love to see someone stop and bitch him out. the 1% comment ya ok
Old 11-27-2012, 02:24 PM   #59 (permalink)
2014 FLHXS

Garage
Quote:
Clearly if you scare the rider you are passing you didn't do it in a safe manner.

I own the lane I'm in. If I were to choose the moment you decide to pass in my lane to move to the other side of the lane the accident will be your fault. I don't care what state you are in.
Wrgiacona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrgiacona View Post
Clearly if you scare the rider you are passing you didn't do it in a safe manner.

I own the lane I'm in. If I were to choose the moment you decide to pass in my lane to move to the other side of the lane the accident will be your fault. I don't care what state you are in.
Yes you are right on both statements