Motorcycle Passing Etiquette - Page 8 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > General Motorcycle Related

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 05:08 PM   #71 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
buckanear007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: lacombe louisiana
Posts: 492
I belive my lane is my lane i will get over to the right when i can and if your in a hurry you should wait till I can get over that being said all mc riders should be aware all the time and should try to train yourself not to get startled no matter what hapens stay calm and cool and deal with what ever comes up might save your life some day
buckanear007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:09 PM   #72 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Norman OK
Posts: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdzx View Post
I see your point about passing in the same lane. But it can be done safely some people don't like and never will and some it won't bother if its done safe. if he would of blew by me yes it would piss me off, but to go buy at a save speed I would be ok with it. I Gus's being on race tracks and passing at high speeds make Hy passing not intimidating
The ONLY way it should ever be done is "IF" the rider in front waves the other on. It ain't gonna happen here if I'm in the fast lane going by slower traffic, you need to wait until I return to the right lane.
OLDDEADEYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #73 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
hdzx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ca
Posts: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouser View Post
just because I think this is a good topic to keep everyone thinking about, I'll add this,,,,,
the OP stated no one else in his party mentioned the event,,,, this tells me there may be a possibility that the others thought it was done safely and/or they saw it coming and it was no big deal,,,,, or they all were afraid to say anything ,,,,,,
-it also shows the OP was not very attentive to what was coming up behind him,,,,,, I will say honestly that VERY few times has ANYONE snuck up behind me while riding my scooter, if it happens I feel like I was not beimg a good defensive rider,,,,, and that will get you killed my friends,,,
while riding in a group at highway speeds , passing a slower vehicle,,,, I'd say you better have your head on a swivel,,, for all we know the op did'nt see the other azzhat and he may have been waiting on him to acknowledge him so he could pass,,,,
just keeping a good topic alive for everyone to learn,,,be nice and debate your opinion respectfully, as everyone has so far,,,
Yes this is a good topic. Weather you think it's good or bad I hope it makes the guys that pass like nickel heads and the guys that try to block the lane to think before you pass and that you can share the lane safely.
hdzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:53 PM   #74 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
hdzx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ca
Posts: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by misinlink View Post
And here I thought he was done .....
. rofl what is that? Riding on flying leopard
hdzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:31 PM   #75 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Ray-zer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrgiacona View Post
It's common for crotch rocket riders to do it. I have never seen a H-D or even a Victory rider do it.

On the interstate north of Galveston at the Lone Star rally we had such an idiot weave through at a very high rate of speed through about 25 cruisers most of which were just ones and twos that were playing quite well together in a ton of traffic.

A Texas Hwy Patrol officer noted his actions and made chase. All of us really enjoyed waiving and honking several miles down the road when we saw him pulled over with his hands on the hood of that Troopers car. The cop gave us a thumps up.
I would've paid to see that! It's always nice when idiots like that get caught.
__________________
2012 FLHTK, Solid Black
Ray-zer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:46 PM   #76 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 496
Garage
Just one more reason for a bike camera. I do a lot of Honor flight riding and other stuff with patriot guard though I've never gotten around to joining them.

I was talking with a Missouri Highway Patrol motorcycle officer and bike cams came up.

After a while the talk turned to the moron's we've seen.

He told me IF the film has a date and time stamp, IF they can identify the vehicle through a license plate, IF you are willing to sign a statement (and you'll probably be summoned to testify), and turn over the video as evidence they will ticket, or file appropriate charges for unsafe behavior.

I doubt I'd ever do it unless someone was actually injured or property damage was involved. I'd rather find them down the road, tell them what I think and let things develop from there.
secoleman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:52 PM   #77 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
nipplesurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: florida
Posts: 2,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAD_Softail View Post
Yup. In rush hour snail-paced or stalled traffic here it's common to see bikes splitting lanes...absolutely nothing wrong with that when done prudently. What pisses me off are those that think it's just peachy to split lanes at highway speeds...it's not. It's downright stupid-dangerous.
Or twice highway speeds....

It may be that the only purpose for your life is to serve as a warning to others.
nipplesurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:23 PM   #78 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by secoleman57 View Post
Just one more reason for a bike camera. I do a lot of Honor flight riding and other stuff with patriot guard though I've never gotten around to joining them.

I was talking with a Missouri Highway Patrol motorcycle officer and bike cams came up.

After a while the talk turned to the moron's we've seen.

He told me IF the film has a date and time stamp, IF they can identify the vehicle through a license plate, IF you are willing to sign a statement (and you'll probably be summoned to testify), and turn over the video as evidence they will ticket, or file appropriate charges for unsafe behavior.

I doubt I'd ever do it unless someone was actually injured or property damage was involved. I'd rather find them down the road, tell them what I think and let things develop from there.
I call bull crap on that story.....................

You also need to be able to 100% identify the rider. Any defense attorney will get it thrown out of court with out 100% ID of person in control.
__________________
2013 Ultra Limited
2011 Night Rod Special
2009 Versys
Markk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:01 PM   #79 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 496
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markk9 View Post
I call bull crap on that story.....................

You also need to be able to 100% identify the rider. Any defense attorney will get it thrown out of court with out 100% ID of person in control.
I don't know why, videos are used in court all the time, at least one state requires DWI arrests to be taped or it's going to get thrown out.

Snap shots at intersections will get you a ticket in the mail. They don't care who is driving the registered owner gets the citation.

I don't know why a cop would tell me that if it wasn't true it's not like he had any reason to impress me. And I never asked if they would win, I was only told they'd ticket or file appropriate charges.

I do know a cellphone video was admitted into evidence against a guy from Iowa that was working on his lap top when he ran over and killed an Amish family. So was the DL from his auto showing is speed and that he never braked. Then again they already had him.

Eye witness reports are unreliable however from an evidence standpoint about the only thing you could argue with a video or picture is that it's been tampered with if there is a way to ID the actual person.

As far as ID of who was driving, unless you report the car stolen, say you loaned it to someone (who do you rat out?), or could come up with a reason anyone could have had access without your knowledge it would be assumed to be under YOUR control.

Traffic court in Missouri or any State I've ever gotten a ticket in is based on Statutory Law which while I never have agreed with does define and make a victimless offense a criminal affair.

I'm sure a good defense attorney could get you off even with a video or picture with or without a positive ID but, I think the going rate around here for that is around 150 an hour. Unless you do not waive your right to trial you'll deal with a Judge looking at a video along with several books of Statues that define what he can do, and going to trial is going to cost you a lot of Dinero.

How many cases do you think are won by the State where the ONLY reason is the defense was not prepared?. I don't think walking into a court room and relying on the fact they can't ID someone on a video operating a motor vehicle registered to you would be a sound strategy.

But if you are correct then do whatever you want out there
secoleman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:16 AM   #80 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by secoleman57 View Post
I don't know why, videos are used in court all the time, at least one state requires DWI arrests to be taped or it's going to get thrown out.

Snap shots at intersections will get you a ticket in the mail. They don't care who is driving the registered owner gets the citation.

I don't know why a cop would tell me that if it wasn't true it's not like he had any reason to impress me. And I never asked if they would win, I was only told they'd ticket or file appropriate charges.

I do know a cellphone video was admitted into evidence against a guy from Iowa that was working on his lap top when he ran over and killed an Amish family. So was the DL from his auto showing is speed and that he never braked. Then again they already had him.

Eye witness reports are unreliable however from an evidence standpoint about the only thing you could argue with a video or picture is that it's been tampered with if there is a way to ID the actual person.

As far as ID of who was driving, unless you report the car stolen, say you loaned it to someone (who do you rat out?), or could come up with a reason anyone could have had access without your knowledge it would be assumed to be under YOUR control.

Traffic court in Missouri or any State I've ever gotten a ticket in is based on Statutory Law which while I never have agreed with does define and make a victimless offense a criminal affair.

I'm sure a good defense attorney could get you off even with a video or picture with or without a positive ID but, I think the going rate around here for that is around 150 an hour. Unless you do not waive your right to trial you'll deal with a Judge looking at a video along with several books of Statues that define what he can do, and going to trial is going to cost you a lot of Dinero.

How many cases do you think are won by the State where the ONLY reason is the defense was not prepared?. I don't think walking into a court room and relying on the fact they can't ID someone on a video operating a motor vehicle registered to you would be a sound strategy.

But if you are correct then do whatever you want out there
I do know a little about this, I'm a retired state trooper.

LEO will use the video to try and get somebody to confess, and for most people it does work. But, for those few that understand you never talk to the LEO without an attorney, they will get off with out 100% positive ID of the person in control of the vehicle. You are not required by law to state who you lent your car or bike to. Now, some states may have changed this.

In NC a good traffic attorney is about $250 for the case.
__________________
2013 Ultra Limited
2011 Night Rod Special
2009 Versys
Markk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Harley-Davidson
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum