20,000 mi service? - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
***** Nomad
 
southernman_67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 2,363
20,000 mi service?

I am quickly approaching my 20,000 service. I called my local dealer

today and they quoted me $350. I bought the bike at a little over

5000 and assumed the 5k hadn't been done, so I did it. I did the 10k

and 15k also. Now, I am wondering if I should have a REAL mechanic

look at it. But, when I looked in my service manual, the only thing I

see that is out of the ordinary is changing the fork oil. I did that

when I installed the progressive springs this past Spring. I haven't

been happy with my clutch since I installed the apes, and my

throttle has gotten sticky, but I can adjust and lube both of those

(I tried the Dave63 method on the clutch lube, but I'm afraid I didn't

do it right), so my question is: Should I take it in to have a

'professional' look at it, or just continue doing what the service

manual calls for at each service interval?
southernman_67 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 09:18 PM
Mississippi Cajun
 
kd5cqt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ocean Springs,Mississippi
Posts: 10,862
Unless you have an issue you're not comfortable with fixing yourself, I'd save the bucks and do it myself. BTW...fork oil at 20K?

USAF Veteran, PGR Member, Retired Old Fart! 2011 Electraglide Ultra Classic
kd5cqt is online now  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
***** Nomad
 
southernman_67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 2,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd5cqt View Post
Unless you have an issue you're not comfortable with fixing yourself, I'd save the bucks and do it myself. BTW...fork oil at 20K?
20K and 40K is what my service manual calls for. But, like I said, I did

that when I changed springs anyway.

Were you at the toy run Sunday? I was lookin' for the Root Beer Ultra,

but, there were a bunch of bikes there.
southernman_67 is online now  
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 09:32 PM
Mississippi Cajun
 
kd5cqt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ocean Springs,Mississippi
Posts: 10,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernman_67 View Post
20K and 40K is what my service manual calls for. But, like I said, I did

that when I changed springs anyway.

Were you at the toy run Sunday? I was lookin' for the Root Beer Ultra,

but, there were a bunch of bikes there.
Missed the run Sunday. Had a house full of company.

USAF Veteran, PGR Member, Retired Old Fart! 2011 Electraglide Ultra Classic
kd5cqt is online now  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 10:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 280
Fork oil should be change yearly, unless it's a synthetic oil, then every 2 years.

2013 Ultra Limited
2011 Night Rod Special
2009 Versys
Markk9 is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 11:30 AM
Mississippi Cajun
 
kd5cqt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ocean Springs,Mississippi
Posts: 10,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markk9 View Post
Fork oil should be change yearly, unless it's a synthetic oil, then every 2 years.
Just browsing through my HD Service Manual for the 2011 Touring models (I have the Ultra). It says front fork oil should be changed every 50K miles. I've read everything in the book related to the front fork and it all comes out the same. Is there a reference somewhere that I can find something that contradicts the manual on this? Is this yearly rule applicable to models other than touring bikes?
BTW, also checked with the local wrenches at the Harley dealership, and they agree every 50K unless I want to donate some extra money to them. Judging by the tools and the process involved (sec. 2.17), I'm thinking that this is one job I will gladly leave to them.

USAF Veteran, PGR Member, Retired Old Fart! 2011 Electraglide Ultra Classic
kd5cqt is online now  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 11:51 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd5cqt View Post
Just browsing through my HD Service Manual for the 2011 Touring models (I have the Ultra). It says front fork oil should be changed every 50K miles. I've read everything in the book related to the front fork and it all comes out the same. Is there a reference somewhere that I can find something that contradicts the manual on this? Is this yearly rule applicable to models other than touring bikes?
BTW, also checked with the local wrenches at the Harley dealership, and they agree every 50K unless I want to donate some extra money to them. Judging by the tools and the process involved (sec. 2.17), I'm thinking that this is one job I will gladly leave to them.
My 2007 Softail Service Manual says 50k as well. Don't know where this guy is getting his "yearly" figure from. Maybe he puts 50,000 miles on his bike per year and figures everyone does?
RAD_Softail is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 02:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Badinfluence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: OH
Posts: 1,425
My 03 Softail Service Manual says change fork oil at 20,000 miles. I changed mine at just over that mileage and it was really nasty. Full of aluminum and stunk up the garage.
Badinfluence is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 02:37 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badinfluence View Post
My 03 Softail Service Manual says change fork oil at 20,000 miles. I changed mine at just over that mileage and it was really nasty. Full of aluminum and stunk up the garage.
I guess it depends on the year of the bike. I've never, ever seen it listed as a yearly service though as Markk9 suggests.
RAD_Softail is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 02:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 280
I come from a sportbike background, it was always recommended to change the fork oil every 2 years using synthetic oil. On a bike the is ridden less then 5K a year, I can see extending it. Have you ever seen fork oil after a year or two of use? Fork oil gets a major work out every time you ride.

2013 Ultra Limited
2011 Night Rod Special
2009 Versys
Markk9 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome