Winterize my bike...NO! But do have a question. - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > General Motorcycle Related

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 12:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Yea, real tough guy.

Winterize my bike...NO! But do have a question.

I live in Virginia and for the most part I am able to ride year-round, so I have no clue when it comes to winterizing the bike. But here's the rub, there are those times where I may not be able to ride for three weeks or so due to occasional ice and snow. So I'm wondering if the following is a good idea or an overkill (I know 1 & 2 make sense, it's 3 & 4 I'm curious about): 1) Make sure the gas tank is full and include a fuel additive, 2) Hook up the battery tender, 3) Put the bike up on the lift to take the weight off the tires, 4) Start the bike up about three times a week, let 'er get warm, and shift through the gears (yes, I have a lift that will allow me to safely do this).

Thoughts?
AEC(AW/NAC), USN (Ret.)
Widows Sons Masonic Riders Association

Naphtali Tribe
Guardian of Membership
Road Captain
RDU1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mr. MojoRisen

I see no problem with 1, 2 and 3, but I would not do 4.
I also can ride mostly year round here in Maryland. I always keep the tank full in the "winter” months here, just in the off chance we get some snow or ice. If I think the bike will sit more than a week I will put it on the stand, partly for the tires, and partly for the ease of cleaning it.
There is no real need to start the bike when you are not riding it with a battery tender on. It may just add condensation to the oil.

"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~~James D. Miles

2009 - Road Glide

US NAVY - CPO Retired
P3fltEng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
JPR

Garage
condensation does not occur only in the presence of ice/snow, but when the temperature around the bike falls below the dew point.

That's when the water forms in the tank so keep the tank full and use a fuel additive as you have mentioned.

Dont start and run the bike for a few minutes only. That will mix any moisture condensate in the oil and start corrosion in the engine. Let the moisture pool but not mix and run through the engine, unless you get it up to operating temp and run for 30 min or more to drive off/boil out the water. This technique will prevent or reduce water corrosion in the engine and transmission. And when I say 30 min I mean ride the bike so every thing heats up.

65 Italian scooter
66 305 Rice burner; NO PROBLEMS
67 650 English Bike; MAJOR PROBLEMS
1968/XLCH - lots of mods; loved it for 11 years; NO MECHANICAL PROBLEMS
2012 Heritage 103 Rush 2.0 pipes "MAMBO #5"
bought all brand new except scooter

There's a picture of the sportster after all the mods in my images file. Check out my favorite target with a 45 Kimber at 25 ft on an 8.5 x 11 picture.
JPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

if you do start and let it run for awhile make sure you put a fan blowing on the motor .
Tennjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Skip #4. You do more harm than good running a bike in the cold. If you run a bike in the cold, it's recommended that you RIDE the bike to get it to full temps, but that you also cause heat throughout parts like the trans, where condensation forms in the air space of the box, and water contaminates the oil there was well.

If you're gonna go out and ride it.....ride. Don't start it up, otherwise.

As well, if parked on cement, place carpeting or someosort of moisture barrier under the bike.

If you have critters in your neck of the woods.....place mothballs in the exhaust, or dryer sheets. Small rodents can crawl into pipes and nest. If baffles are open, they've been known to crawl up to the heads. Rodent urine is corrosive and their nests can mess an engine up. I take 2-3 mothballs and wrap then in a dryer sheet, and tie with a bread-twisty. Place in open end of pipe.

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

ok wait if you are talking about winterizing, I would only do these steps if you are talking about parking the bike for months on end. Me personally, I ride my bike maybe a couple times a month even in good weather due to lack of time, I keep it on a battery tender and that's it because I know I will go for a ride within a couple weeks time. Why go to all the trouble you are talking about if only storing for a couple weeks? Me personally for the length of time you are talking about, I would only do the battery tender and the fuel stabilizer just for good measure
02sportytex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Hit it she goes boom

Keep in mind when my bike has to sit, its in a heated building on a concrete floor...ideal conditions. Park it, put the tender on, top off the tank with Stabil and call it a day. Never had any issues.

"Give her full throttle till ya see God... then back off"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diezel View Post
Golds bike sounds like a 66' Chevelle. It's amazing.
GotGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Yea, real tough guy.

Thanks, you guys rock. Seems the big takeaway is not to start it. Full tank of fuel + stabilizer, battery tender, and since I'm out in the country I like Dave's idea regarding the mothballs in the exhaust. I'll probably put the bike up on the stand as well....hell, two retired CPOs can't be wrong. We're never wrong, just misinformed.

Thanks again for the advice bros.
AEC(AW/NAC), USN (Ret.)
Widows Sons Masonic Riders Association

Naphtali Tribe
Guardian of Membership
Road Captain
RDU1961 is offline   Reply With Quote