What would bring you into a dealer in the cold months??? Need serious feedback - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > General Motorcycle Related

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 11:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
Parts Junkie

Not looking for something free or financially appealing, but I'd like to see maybe a "Work Shop", where the dealer has classes, showing scheduled maintnence, repairs, and things like cam swaps, Diagnostic tips (Pulling DTCs from bike without a scanner) and explanations, and even simple things like "Exhaust replacement" how-to's for the public.

In a sense, it would educate your bike owners and help in explanations at least, when asking for repair or service advice. It would also see what's involved in some tasks, and help them to better understand the labor involvement.

Schedule them for saturdays, and do one thing a week for Jan and feb, since the first week of March is Daytona Bike Week.

It could prove to be interesting.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #12 (permalink)
Hit it she goes boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave63 View Post
Not looking for something free or financially appealing, but I'd like to see maybe a "Work Shop", where the dealer has classes, showing scheduled maintnence, repairs, and things like cam swaps, Diagnostic tips (Pulling DTCs from bike without a scanner) and explanations, and even simple things like "Exhaust replacement" how-to's for the public.

In a sense, it would educate your bike owners and help in explanations at least, when asking for repair or service advice. It would also see what's involved in some tasks, and help them to better understand the labor involvement.

Schedule them for saturdays, and do one thing a week for Jan and feb, since the first week of March is Daytona Bike Week.

It could prove to be interesting.

I'll tell ya point blank.... that would get me to your dealership every Sat.

P.S. GotGold's 03' Screamin Eagle sounds like a 67' Chevelle big block.--- J.P.
GotGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:01 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGold View Post
I'll tell ya point blank.... that would get me to your dealership every Sat.
+1 on that

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

2012 Switchback, 14" chubby apes, Rinehart 2-2 exhaust, SERT
LugoffSC_FLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Saddle Tramp

Location: On a good clear day, I can ALMOST see "Normal" from here!
Your Avatar alone would do it for most!
But seriously, Dave just beat me to the idea that I was going to suggest.
So, I second it.

"This is my Bike. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My Bike is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
My Bike, without me, is useless. Without my Bike, I am useless."

Big D. in SC
**Sergeant at Arms, LYMCKKC**

"See ya on the Trail!"
Big D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
Saddle Tramp

Location: On a good clear day, I can ALMOST see "Normal" from here!
Dang! Type too slow, guess I'm fourth.

"This is my Bike. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My Bike is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
My Bike, without me, is useless. Without my Bike, I am useless."

Big D. in SC
**Sergeant at Arms, LYMCKKC**

"See ya on the Trail!"
Big D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:06 PM   #16 (permalink)

A couple of ideas in a few areas. Maybe something might stick. I remember when I sold a big project when the recession was ramping up. We all needed income in. I told the guys don't lose the sale over the price. Listen to the customer, make it happen and don't screw it up. My jobs have been the largest and most successful even in a tight recession climate. Listening to the customer and making every walk in or customer count really matters.

Service:
I do like the free pick up and delivery with in a certain radius. Dirt cheap after.
Free preride safety check on every service or ride ins (Mine does this)
Free detail on every service
Sell some discount prepaid service plans.
Discount your billable hour rate for the first x# of customers on a given day. Many ways to do discounts.

New bikes:
Offer some prepaid service plans for the firs 24K miles to match the warranty.
Upgrades are limitless opportunity. The dealer gets great items at a huge discount and setup/installation is already an overhead item.
Offer new first time buying at the dealer incentives
Free delivery and tender setup.

Financing:
Offer steep discounts for Harley Davidson Financing and dealer incentives.
Lower interest rate (Dealer pays forward the discount)
Many creative ideas to be had for this area.

Parts
Sales as always
Clothing and Accessories
Discount them to move the merchandise.

Promotions
BBQ, Beer, Christmas party, Something every Saturday, bikecicle ice wash, wet tshirt contest after hours for adults only.
Give aways for purchasers. A free hotel during a Rally as an example. Trips. The owner is probably rich enough to proved a few.
Bike give away for purchases over a certain amount.

Advertising:
Radio, bring in the band, emails, phone calls with a personal invitation (no one likes this, but it is the most effective). Texting, facebook, TV commercials (see none from the local dealerships in Houston). Do everything a car dealership does. They have this part to a science except for long term customer retention and satisfaction with the deal.

Dealership Personnel:
Offer incentives for producing business (Any business). Don't overlook anyone. You can graduate the incentives for larger production of course, but don't make it impossible to get a reward. A happy employee produces more every time.
- Ben Stein
redman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
Office Linebacker

One of my dealers has free hot dogs all day long on Sat.
Even if I am just running errands, I'll make a point to stop in.
I many times walk out with something I did not know I could not live without.
DeeDay
Old 11-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
Mississippi Cajun

Dave's idea is one that would get me out every week, and I know I'd show up to a packed house.
The local dealership used to have an after hours party once a month that always brought in a crowd...food and drink available, raffles, live music (one of the salemen put on a helluva show), etc. always a hit.
You have a H.O.G. club chapter there? See if they will help with some feedback.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:25 PM   #19 (permalink)
tattoo judge

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redman24 View Post
A couple of ideas in a few areas. Maybe something might stick. I remember when I sold a big project when the recession was ramping up. We all needed income in. I told the guys don't lose the sale over the price. Listen to the customer, make it happen and don't screw it up. My jobs have been the largest and most successful even in a tight recession climate. Listening to the customer and making every walk in or customer count really matters.

Service:
I do like the free pick up and delivery with in a certain radius. Dirt cheap after.
Free preride safety check on every service or ride ins (Mine does this)
Free detail on every service
Sell some discount prepaid service plans.
Discount your billable hour rate for the first x# of customers on a given day. Many ways to do discounts.

New bikes:
Offer some prepaid service plans for the firs 24K miles to match the warranty.
Upgrades are limitless opportunity. The dealer gets great items at a huge discount and setup/installation is already an overhead item.
Offer new first time buying at the dealer incentives
Free delivery and tender setup.

Financing:
Offer steep discounts for Harley Davidson Financing and dealer incentives.
Lower interest rate (Dealer pays forward the discount)
Many creative ideas to be had for this area.

Parts
Sales as always
Clothing and Accessories
Discount them to move the merchandise.

Promotions
BBQ, Beer, Christmas party, Something every Saturday, bikecicle ice wash, wet tshirt contest after hours for adults only.
Give aways for purchasers. A free hotel during a Rally as an example. Trips. The owner is probably rich enough to proved a few.
Bike give away for purchases over a certain amount.

Advertising:
Radio, bring in the band, emails, phone calls with a personal invitation (no one likes this, but it is the most effective). Texting, facebook, TV commercials (see none from the local dealerships in Houston). Do everything a car dealership does. They have this part to a science except for long term customer retention and satisfaction with the deal.

Dealership Personnel:
Offer incentives for producing business (Any business). Don't overlook anyone. You can graduate the incentives for larger production of course, but don't make it impossible to get a reward. A happy employee produces more every time.
very well thought out response here...

http://dmwphoto.smugmug.com
dmwphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #20 (permalink)

On what Dave63 said. Excellent idea. I work pt for The Home Depot, and that is exactely what they do: work shops on how to install sidding, windows, roofs; repair plumbing; build sheds, etc. So what did educating their customer base do? It created greater, sales, repete bussines, and improve customer relations. Some Mgrs and owners may think, " if we educate them too mush, our service dept will suffer". However, people like myself do not have time and/or inclination to wrench their own bike, but would sure like to know mechanically more about the workings of their ride. Plus increasing store traffic opens it up for purchasing add-ons, upgrades, apparel and of course drooling over new bikes.
ctspartan is offline   Reply With Quote