What would bring you into a dealer in the cold months??? Need serious feedback - Page 6 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > General Motorcycle Related

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 10:43 PM   #51 (permalink)

Winter here in the Phoenix area is our prime riding season. I'm too busy out riding to hang around the dealership.

Phoenix, AZ
2011 Electra Glide Ultra Limited
[psychedelic purple/vivid black]
phx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:42 AM   #52 (permalink)
I'll help you hide the body

You could do classes like Dave said or other events, but add a twist. Each person that attends gets a punch card and when the card is full (determined by number of events) they get entered into a drawing to win something at the end of winter. So the only way you can enter the drawing is to have a full card.

Or Poker Run Style. Each event is draw of a card, you can prize winning hands accordingly.

Also, if you do these events I think people tend to spend something if there is a cause to support. A portion of all accessory or merch sales on event days goes to a local charity.

Just my .02

borrowed from gtrman66
Rules:
#1. Post #1: "New to Community"
#2. Buy a HD Service Manual, best $70 you'll spend
#3. Try the search function, we might have already answered your question
#4. Don't post classifieds until you meet the rules
#5. Don't bad mouth dealers until we know you, there are always 2 sides
misinlink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:03 AM   #53 (permalink)
STAND AND FIGHT!

I think attention-getting winter-time engine work specials could benefit a dealer

ANYTHING good to say about winter should be welcome, in a market with a seasonal down time.

HD expenditures to look forward to over the winter, already in their minds as the answer

to cabin fever and biker blahs, winter sucks, except for the off season engine work specials...

I can imagine some good promotional posters,

"What the hell, if you can't ride, you might as well split the cases."

"Is your Harley cold and lonely? Bring it to the shop!

It deserves the extra attention and camaraderie"

--

Another point, there was a time when performance mods did not relate much to the new models,

the new model wasn't larger displacement than the one you were wanting to do mods on,

but today the more you look into spending on engine upgrades, the closer you come

to the displacement at least of a newer model. A dealership could promote

a layaway plan going all year towards anticipated big ticket wintertime shop work,

that layaway $$ could be converted into down payment if the urge ever strikes.

--

Have a really big screen Harley Rider SAD Treatment area, big video and big sound of Harley rides,

guys with winter-time rider withdrawal would find it comforting, worth stopping in for a refresher.

Some days you feel like TORQUE!
Some days you feel like HORSEPOWER!

Once you establish yourself as an eccentric,
you rarely have to explain your actions.

Something a guy at a HD parts counter told me 30 years ago,
"You know what I'd do with that bike if it was mine? RIDE IT! Nothin' else ."

Last edited by Nathang; 12-02-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Nathang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:37 AM   #54 (permalink)

what i like about the dealer i go to is if i make a apointment for sevice they are ready for my bike and all parts are there its done when they say i drop bike night before pickup next night i want my bike with me not in shop if its a long job they tell the truth about how long it will take
buckanear007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #55 (permalink)
Yea, real tough guy.

Its been echoed before, but I'll echo it again...I would love to see a "Home Depot" style workshop. That is one e-mail notification I would look forward to seeing in my in-box. You might also encourage some "Parent-Child" workshops. Hey Dad, bring your boy along for some cool bonding time...while we start building our future customer-base.
AEC(AW/NAC), USN (Ret.)
Widows Sons Masonic Riders Association

Naphtali Tribe
Guardian of Membership
Road Captain
RDU1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #56 (permalink)

During winter, the local dealer has maintenance/tech seminars on the weekends, and lunch is provided at these seminars. Food definitely brings in the crowd. Engine build specials are going on this winter, with substantial discounts, ie 600 to 1K bucks depending on the package you chose.

They also do halloween parties and xmas parties for the kids, complete with face painting, free pictures with santa, etc. and lunch is served. These events pack the dealership, and the motorclothes dept. does very well. Other events include dinners honoring veterans, active duty military, and loyal customers also bring lots of people to the dealership.
murf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #57 (permalink)
KJW

I agree with those that advocated the to-do and do it yourself possibilities. These are always well-attended and give you an excuse to leave the house on the bitter cold days.

If you're looking to kick it up a notch, advertise it and offer some giveaways- clothes, tools, etc. Everyone likes the handouts. You could even solicit these freebies from some of your vendors, many have budgets to support such events.
KJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:52 AM   #58 (permalink)
Banned

How about a celebrity autograph signing? One of the minor characters from SOA might not be that expensive. Or a local radio personality road show.
chris_lacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:13 AM   #59 (permalink)
Try'n to behave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_lacey View Post
How about a celebrity autograph signing? One of the minor characters from SOA might not be that expensive. Or a local radio personality road show.
First one to collect all club member sig's on their SOA cut gets to be the prez of the new Dealership Chapter.

Or are you setting yourself up for more SOA Hunter scores?
Pred8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:14 AM   #60 (permalink)
evohogfarts

Skagit Harley Davidson

LiveToRideHarleyDavidsonEvo

ltrhdevo is offline   Reply With Quote