Harley Extended Service plan - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > General Motorcycle Related

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Mississippi Cajun

I'd be having a reaction to that quote, too. I paid just over a grand for the additional 5 years (no tire coverage). I would have thought that being up north where the riding season is somewhat shortened, the prices would be lower because of that.......but then, I never shopped up north for that sort of thing. The girl's quote seems to me to be very far out of line and an attempt at screwing you over royally.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
VA Fender Bender

Garage
I would ask to speak with the GM or owner and just ask them if this a going away present they want?

http://dmwphoto.smugmug.com

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard
Steven Wright
dmwphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #13 (permalink)

2100 for tires and extra 5 years is abut right well not right but going rate it seams like that being said i had the warenty on both of my last 2 bikes 2004 with 70000 miles one problem with wiring harness my 2007 with 44000 just had new top end had blow by cost to me 50 plus differance between stock cables and braided cables so i think it paid for it self right there its just pre paid if you never use it you lost if you do you dont have to come up with the cash
buckanear007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
VA Fender Bender

Garage
How much is a new top end?

http://dmwphoto.smugmug.com

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard
Steven Wright
dmwphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
Acta Non Verba

Gearz

I know the feeling, my local dealer just did near 7k worth of insurance work and when I got it back it was like riding a paint shaker. They refused to fix it (I live near Springfield, mo). I seriously considered buying a Victory Xcountry and saying the hell with Harley. Thankfully a different dealer, Ozarks Harley, stepped up and is in the process of fixing the situation & restoring my faith in Harley.

I'm to pick up the bike tomorrow & their head mechanic says it's now the smoothest riding Dyna, he's ever rode. I hope so.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Old 12-13-2012, 07:43 PM   #16 (permalink)

the ext. warrenty doesn't cover adjustments. my drive belt was rubbing bad & went thru 3 normal insp's & they didn't find it. but i did & had to pay a hrs labor to get them to adj. the belt on '09 tri-glide.
one good thing they did r&r the ft. head under e/w because the bolt that holds on the steering dampner sheared off.
eagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelrick View Post
Gearz

Thankfully a different dealer, Ozarks Harley, stepped up and is in the process of fixing the situation & restoring my faith in Harley.
Ozarks harley....think they own dealers at couple of locations.......anyway they are the ones that helped me out with some small stuff while on the road.... were some good guys!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_lacey View Post
The other question is: do they cover parts wearing out, or only "broken" parts and subsequent damage?
Some piece of mind, but not a lot.
I knew a guy with a bike with low miles on it, and in my opinion got burned by this subsequent damage thing, if I remember... the part that broke was covered, but not the stuff the broken part destroyed??

I still think he got reamed!!

Good descussion though, heard a lot of people say its a waste of money and that if you are going to have a problem that WILL be covered, it will happen within factory two years???

But have heard of people using it also and all was good...in cases I know of it was within two years anyway???

Last edited by ramrod400; 12-14-2012 at 11:57 PM.
ramrod400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:34 PM   #18 (permalink)

Garage
Well I've always been a gambler when it came to extended warranties on vehicles. I relied on maintenance to keep them going and hoped "defects" in the assembly process showed up before the manufacturers warranty was up.

I am a mechanic by trade just not one working on automobiles although I've seen my fair share of engine, transmission and suspension rebuilds.

I did buy BOTH service manuals for my 2012 FLTRX so it's more a matter of tools and patience with me should anything go wrong with my bike. I've got a significant amount of tools and probably know someone should I need something I'm missing and really don't want to buy, esp. in the electronics diagnostic arena.

I also enjoy working on my machines so, it makes more since for me to keep that money towards what I rate as the slim chance I do blow a transmission or window a block.

I know very little at this point about HD products compared to multiple people on this form, I expect that will change at least where my particular bike is concerned.

If I had no ability or inclination to work on the mechanical or electrical end, I'd probably consider at least some form of extended warranty.
secoleman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #19 (permalink)

Good stuff from everyone!
Thanks for all the input/sympathy.......

Geazr
geazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #20 (permalink)

I bought the extended warranty with my new '09 Heritage. Have 43k miles on it now. The only issue that has yet to come up was a warped rear brake rotor. Dealership said it wasn't covered under the warranty. I feel the extended warranty is a waste of money. My opinion, heh-heh.
zartoff is offline   Reply With Quote