Harley Extended Service plan - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > General Motorcycle Related

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 06:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Harley Extended Service plan

My dealer contacted me and offered me 5 addition years for my 2011 street glide (103). They say it's a 7yr plan except the first two years are really your normal factory coverage and this offer really just extends the coverage 5 more years.They offered me this for $2199.00 this included the tire and wheel coverage.

The handout they gave me lists a lot of parts however; it does not list all 1100 parts they claim it covers.

The scary part for me is that I can not seem to find the complete list! When I asked the Dealer they said they do not have that list and that the handout was just a generic list to give us an idea of what they cover. Funny, when we buy a bike they want to see all the money! I would like to see the entire list. They of course seem a bit vague.......

I hate to buy something that will have all kinds of limitations and catch 22's but, I do like the thought of extended coverage.

Has anyone out there purchased and used this coverage??? Is it really worth it? And does anyone know where the list is?

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Geazr
geazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

I was quoted a price of $1,739 for my Road Glide I just got a little more than 2 weeks ago--that did not have the tire & wheel coverage. The "other" dealer her in Louisville quoted me $1,989. That's $250 difference for the same plan. The same coverage is not sold for the same price by all the dealers so check around.

And I didn't buy it--yet. You have until the end of your factory 2-year warranty to buy the extra coverage although there is an additional fee (I think $200) if you don't buy it soon after taking delivery.

I'm rolling the dice and as long as I don't have a lot of issues in the first 2 years I doubt that I will buy the HD plan. But...., I may buy an extended plan from a local credit union. They alo have an extended 5-year plan with the same $50 deductible. The credit union plan doesn't cover everything the HD plan covers but it does cover all the major components and then some and the current price for the credit union extended plan is $774.

Louisville Joe
Louisville Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Turgid Member

I bought the 5 year plan in April with my 2012 FXDC. Paid $1450 for it. I'm not a mechanic so I did it for peace of mind. Other peoples opinions are not the best way to decide. YOU decide if it's worth it to you to have the coverage.

I feel better knowing I have it. And it's a factory warranty so it covers everything the original two year factory warranty does. I would assume that's from front to tail excluding normal wear items like brake pads and, of course, abuse. I've already had the dealership replace the cover on the front brake fluid reservoir and two light bulbs for free. It can save a lot of headaches and expense if you need it in the next 7 years.

If you plan on doing some riding I say go for it. But, if you one of those folks who just keeps a garage queen to show your friends then it's probably a big waste of money.

Michigan
2012 FXDC "Big Blue Pearl"
2010 XL883L "Vivid Black"
Moisture free since 2011
Ratso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
look a pig wit wings

ok here is the deal I sold cars managed a whole dealership and yes I was also in the finance dept. that being said call at least 4 dealers explain you want a comprehensive wrap warranty wth tire and wheel (tire n wheel is worth its weight in gold). the pricing differs as they are allowed to make a profit on the warranty! I feel you will get no lower than 1700-1800 with both packages...also call the company listed on your literture and ask for a complete breakdown (most warranty's only cover lubricated parts)
WhenPigsFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:12 AM   #5 (permalink)

Garage
Normally, I despise extended warranties. As an analyst, everything about them tells me they are a money-making endeavor for the sellers. But, after hanging at this forum for a while, I can see the value in them for some. The nice thing is that they are not limited by miles. So, if you are high-mileage rider, they may make sense for you.

Warranties and such are based on statistical likelihood. Think about it this way. My numbers may be off, but you'll get the idea:

The "free" factory warranty is two years. So, they are going to design at least to that spec. The MoCo doesn't want to deal with a large number of warranty claims. In order to do that, they would probably have to target 20-25K miles of use in those two years to make sure they capture a large majority of users. That is, if the MoCo can make them last 25K or so before something breaks, they won't get burnt too bad on warranty claims.

As you know, a lot of riders ride MUCH less than that. My bike had 9K on it when I bought it, and it was seven years old. These riders who want that "peace of mind" for a bike they aren't using are the ones lining the pockets of the warranty companies.

So, if you don't see yourself hitting well over that 25-30K mark within the extra five years, You'll probably be better off rolling the dice without it. If you do 10K a year or so, you are almost guaranteed that it will pay off as you'll be at 70K or more by the time the extended is out.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
look a pig wit wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasarms View Post
Normally, I despise extended warranties. As an analyst, everything about them tells me they are a money-making endeavour for the sellers.

But, after hanging at this forum for a while, I can see the value in them for some. The nice thing is that they are not limited by miles. So, if you are high-mileage rider, they may make sense for you.

Warranties and such are based on statistical liklihood. Think about it this way. My numbers may be off, but you'll get the idea:

The "free" factory warranty is two years. So, they are going to design at least to that spec. The MoCo doesn't want to deal with a large number of warranty claims. In order to do that, they would probably have to target 20-25K miles of use in those two years to make sure they capture a large majority of users. That is, if the MoCo can make them last 25K or so before something breaks, they won't get burnt too bad on warranty claims.

As you know, a lot of riders ride MUCH less than that. My bike had 9K on it when I bought it, and it was seven years old. These riders who want that "peace of mind" are the ones lining the pockets of the warranty companies.

So, if you don't see yourself hitting well over that 25-30K mark within the five years, You'll probably be better off rolling the dice without it.
I agree to a certain point....these machines are still built with human hands and things can and do go wrong
WhenPigsFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Yea, real tough guy.

I average about 20,000 miles a year on my bike, so the extended warranty makes sense for me.
AEC(AW/NAC), USN (Ret.)
Widows Sons Masonic Riders Association

Naphtali Tribe
Guardian of Membership
Road Captain
RDU1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:59 AM   #8 (permalink)

I bought a new 13 in October and paid 1195.00 for 7 year extended warranty. For me, it's worth the money I ride 25K to 30K a year.
Markk9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

The other question is: do they cover parts wearing out, or only "broken" parts and subsequent damage?
Many aftermarket plans, and that's what the extended warranty is, only cover something that breaks and exclude virtually anything caused by "normal parts wear".
For example:
If you drop a valve and it destroys your engine, it's covered. If the valve guides wear out and the engine burns oil or is down on power, it is not.
Another example:
If the little shifter return spring in the trans breaks and destroys your transmission, it's covered.
If the shifter gets worn and the shifting gets sloppy or it jumps out of gear, it's not.

When I worked in automotive all the used car guys sold these warranties. Some piece of mind, but not a lot.
chris_lacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #10 (permalink)

NEW RANT about my dealer and the extended warrenty plan!

I have never been so frustated in all my life and i hate to say it but, for a brief moment I didn't even want to own a Harley...............

So, speaking to the dealer which is well, let's just say really close to GRAND RAPIDS MICHIGAN! I don't want to use any names

Anyway, the initial conversation basically was the 7yr plan which is really 5 additional years with wheel and tire coverage I was quoted $2199.00. After checking with three other dealers which came in real close to that price and in fact they were all three just under the 2199. So, having purchased my bike and 7 months later bought my wifes bike and VIP packages all kinds of add on's and clothing ect ect. I figured I should be able to go back to my dealer and actually get some what of a break.

This is where things went south...........First I went down memory lane and reminded my dealer just how much money I spent at their store and I'm embaressed to say this but in two years I'm above the 60k mark! I then asked what the best price they could do and I was hoping they could sharpen their pencil just a bit for me on this one cause frankly I really didn't see any big favors to this point.

The nice gal then asked what she quoted me and when I replied the $2199 she shook her head and said that didn't sound right. She explained that that must have been the price for two additiona years not five. I had to ask, and said what then is the price for all five years in addition to the two year factory. For clerification I never asked about 1, 2, 3, or 4 years coverage, I only inquired on the five year additional. I figured if I was going down this road go all the way. SHE CAME BACK WITH $3499.00 INCREASED by $1300 bucks........

I gotta tell you I almost asked her what kind of crack is she on but, then I caught myself and asked myself what kind of crack am I on sitting here dealing with people like this!

I have a written quote from dealer X for $2139.00 for the full 5 years additional so, 7 total. I called dealer X back and confirmed his pricing and yep, he stands by that price.

What to do with my dealer???? Wow! have I been dealing with the wrong place....

Oh, and what to do about my extended? Not sure maybe this is a sign from above and I'm so turned off right now I'm not sure I want to support HD at all.

As far as the dealer where I spent my retirement, they should be ashamed of themselves...Sorry for the long rant! I had to get this off my chest. I hope someone learns something from this. I know what your thinking and yes, I am a slow learner and I still trust people.

Fool am I............
geazr is offline   Reply With Quote