HD Soft Lower Fairings - Product Review - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > General Motorcycle Related

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
THE Yuppie Outlaw

Garage
HD Soft Lower Fairings - Product Review

I recently purchased Harley's soft lowers to aid with my cold weather riding. My initial reaction was that they are kinda expensive for what you get. I am sure it is no surprise that they are HD (Hundred Dollars).

They are made of nylon and seem to have some kind of insulation inside the lining. The silver piping is reflective which is nice for night time riding. One very nice feature is that they have zippered storage pockets, and as we all know, storage is crucial on anything other than an ultra.

I do not care for the large HD bar and shield logo sew in the middle of them, and they will be getting the xacto knife treatment soon.

Installation could not be easier. They simply slip right over your crash bars, I mean "engine guard" and there is a plastic buckle that goes around the down tube. There is also a handy zipper in the side that opens to accommodate your highway pegs. I have ridden twice now with them installed. I had mixed feelings at first. They do not provide anything close to the lever of protection you would get from a set of hard lowers. Also, and maybe this is due to my size, My feet tend to ride on the outside of my boards which is outside of the fairing. I have to consciously think to keep my feet behind them.

With my feet behind them they work wonderfully. Enough that now I am noticing my shins getting cold instead of my feet.

The thing that I experienced this morning that makes them absolutely worth the $100 and negates any of the wavering thoughts is riding in the wet. It wasn't raining, but the roads were wet from last night. Because they wrap all the way around the down tube, I experienced no rooster tail splash up onto my boots or jeans.

Ultimately I would recommend these to anyone that rides in the rain and/or cold.
Diezel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Imperial Wizard...

They look good and look easyier to put on than my ones with two clips...good review...I see an upgrade comeing on...the OL can have my old ones...
Old 12-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Why Certainly...

[QUOTE=JPWendtinc;665920]

I do not care for the large HD bar and shield logo sew in the middle of them, and they will be getting the xacto knife treatment soon.

...Dave's set are in black cordura...you don't really see the logo, but I don't think they have a zipper. Check with him, I thought he said that he paid $59 for them....
I think you ride the same way I do, with heel on the boards, and toes out on the highway pegs.
I would think the lowers still keep most of the spray and wind off you, don't they?

I'm trying to think, but nothing happens!

1999 FLHRCI

" Well. I was drunk the day my Mom got out of prison, and I went to pick her up in the rain,
but, before I could get to the station in my pick up truck, she got runned over by a damned old train...."

David Allan Coe
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
THE Yuppie Outlaw

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
...Dave's set are in black cordura...you don't really see the logo, but I don't think they have a zipper. Check with him, I thought he said that he paid $59 for them....
I think you ride the same way I do, with heel on the boards, and toes out on the highway pegs.
I would think the lowers still keep most of the spray and wind off you, don't they?
I am 6'3" so my feet spend most of the time on the highway pegs. Lol.

Those lowers keep all spray off of the boards and controls.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Old 12-04-2012, 11:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
MPG'S? Who gives a

Garage
I don't mind the "logo" as much as the white piping around'em...(even IF it's reflective)
Old 12-04-2012, 11:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
THE Yuppie Outlaw

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by craiger View Post
I don't ming the "H-D" as much as the white piping around'em...(even IF it's reflective)
Aw come on. It like white walls for your fairing. Lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Old 12-06-2012, 05:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

I picked up a set of the cordura ones for my sporty for $20 on Craigslist. I haven't use them yet.
Biggerhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

In this case I will say function over fashion but I really don't like the nylon bag look on that beautiful bike.
“Sometimes when I reflect on all the beer I drink, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work. I think, "It is better to drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
- Babe Ruth
Tailgunner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:02 AM   #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgunner1 View Post
In this case I will say function over fashion but I really don't like the nylon bag look on that beautiful bike.
My initial impression was the same but after I've looked a couple of times I think it looks good. Knowing how much stuff I purchased in the last couple of years and sold on Craig'slist, I wouldn't cut out the logo, you may find something else and want to sell it. Just a thought. Nice bike!

Life Church Riders Group Germantown WI
Riding with our Lord!
Knash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
tattoo judge

Garage
nice review. I like the bar and shield and think it adds a bit but that is all personal taste.

http://dmwphoto.smugmug.com
dmwphoto is offline   Reply With Quote