Heated grips died - replace or move on? - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > General Motorcycle Related

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Heated grips died - replace or move on?

Yes, I know - the heated grips vs. heated gloves argument has been done ad nauseum. Here's a slightly new twist...

I recently got a low mileage '06 Ultra Classic Screamin' Eagle. Turns out, the grip heaters don't work - from what I've read, this will not surprise anyone.

So, do I replace them, or put on non-heated grips? Multiple Forum threads, my HD tech & service adviser's recommendations, and my own instincts all say go with the regular grips & use heated gloves because the heated grips will eventually fail again. Replacing them is expensive (a little less so this time out, as the fairing is already off the bike for some other work, but I won't have that advantage next time). Plus, gloves can be used on multiple bikes (I also own an '04 Dyna).

Here's my hesitation: This bike is a CVO, and has all the CVO bells and whistles. While I won't be upset having regular grips, will skipping the heated grips haunt me down the road when the day comes to sell the bike? Will spending $300 now (and another $500 if they fail again) be worth it in helping sell the bike? Would I even recoup the expense, especially if I have to do this a second time?

Any/all input would be appreciated - Thanks!
SoCalBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Lots of questions and no Intro in the New to the Community thread. Now that's a fine Howdy-Do .
RAD_Softail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Harley Rider

Garage
I love my heated grips.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
TmikeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Oops...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAD_Softail View Post
Lots of questions and no Intro in the New to the Community thread. Now that's a fine Howdy-Do .
Sorry - the HD place has my bike and wants an answer on the grips, so I kind of skipped the formalities. Sorry about that; didn't mean to be rude!
SoCalBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
TGPNW

They probably failed back in 07....Just leave the grips you have and buy heated gloves. If you worried about resale,, replace the heated grips when you sell the bike.
93horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBob View Post
Sorry - the HD place has my bike and wants an answer on the grips, so I kind of skipped the formalities. Sorry about that; didn't mean to be rude!
Apology accepted.

If you're going to keep the bike for a few years, keep the grips as 93horse suggested and use the money for something else. When and if you decide to upgrade, you can replace the heated grips then.
RAD_Softail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pork Jockey

There have been a number of threads in reference to H-D heated grip failure. Seems they all tend to fail, but I'm going on memory. Living in Texas, we're more likely to buy bars that you can fill with ice, even during the winter, so that's about all I know. Good luck!

I got these lines in my face, tryin' to straighten out the wrinkles in my life... Ramblin' Jack Elliot/Guy Clark

The sweet bird of youth, was sittin' on my shoulder yesterday, but she's always changin' partners and I always knew she'd up and fly away... Larry Mahan/Guy Clark

Vaya con Dios, Rick "Rubberdown" Massey ~ May you rest in eternal peace
Mongo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo44 View Post
There have been a number of threads in reference to H-D heated grip failure. Seems they all tend to fail, but I'm going on memory. Living in Texas, we're more likely to buy bars that you can fill with ice, even during the winter, so that's about all I know. Good luck!
I rode in Texas for 10 years, and there were many winter rides where I kicked myself for not going with heated grips or gloves...

It may be that the only purpose for your life is to serve as a warning to others.
nipplesurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pork Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipplesurfer View Post
I rode in Texas for 10 years, and there were many winter rides where I kicked myself for not going with heated grips or gloves...

It may be that the only purpose for your life is to serve as a warning to others.
Naw... Naw ya didn't...

I got these lines in my face, tryin' to straighten out the wrinkles in my life... Ramblin' Jack Elliot/Guy Clark

The sweet bird of youth, was sittin' on my shoulder yesterday, but she's always changin' partners and I always knew she'd up and fly away... Larry Mahan/Guy Clark

Vaya con Dios, Rick "Rubberdown" Massey ~ May you rest in eternal peace
Mongo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

My first iron butt it never got over 25 deg. 1000 miles of hell...

nipplesurfer is online now   Reply With Quote