The Jump Off - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > General Motorcycle Related

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 10:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Vote Cthulhu in 2016

The Jump Off

For the fifth time in as many weeks, I have had a driver directly in front of me who was travelling in the opposite lane cut me off with inches to spare.

Inches!

Li'l Kim had a song about 10 years ago called 'Jump Off' that was big on Hot 99 in NYC, and now I am calling this move by the good citizens of Virginia by the same moniker.

To actually make a "jump off" you need to cut the wheel and cross a lane of traffic, without looking ahead of you at what may be coming. It seems that folks in Northern VA are very adept at doing this, then looking at me quizzickly when I use appropriate sign language (ahem - I do go to Church, so my favorite gesture is THE BIG THUMBS DOWN - you should try it - unlike the traditional middle finger salute, people have absolutely no idea how to react to THE BIG THUMBS DOWN and I do believe it leaves them chastened.)

Anyway, I am now going to start firing a flare gun in the air when I see oncoming traffic to announce that I am also on the road. Yet another unforseen expense associated with safe operation of a motorcycle in today's America - oh well.

Be wary of the Jump Off. Let's be careful out there....
Old 12-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Vote Cthulhu in 2016

OK, maybe not inches, maybe actually feet. But who's really checking; my point still stands.

And I'll tell you another thing - there is never a cop around to see this, but God help me if I drive 5mph over the limit in Berryville and Barney Fife is out running his radar that day instead of sitting in the parking lot of the Greek place stuffing a souvlaki sandwich in his mouth or napping behind some building.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

I see it happening also, this seems to be everywhere, these people do not know how to drive anymore, they will cut over 2-3 lanes of traffic to get on/off at an exit or make a turn, you mean to tell me that they have to wait until the last minute to do this, it is not like they did not know they had get on/off at the exit or make a turn.
They would rather cut you off then to do the right thing by getting in the correct lane of traffic ahead of time. "Stupid People"
Herd #00009
nolafishr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
On Probation

You listen to Li'l Kim? Maybe that's why they are trying to kill you.
SE Ventilator
SE Super Tuner
Jackpot Stainless Header
Rinehart 4" Muffs

I'll try to be nicer........if you try to be smarter.
HDSickness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Hit it she goes boom

Crazy cagers here too.. keep two things in mind. When on a bike you are smaller and look farther away then you are. Secondly, if your pushing the speed limit this increases what already is poor judgement. Can't fix stupid just watch for it.

"Give her full throttle till ya see God... then back off"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diezel View Post
Golds bike sounds like a 66' Chevelle. It's amazing.
GotGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

You can practice those "race" moves, like Robinson (I assume you're talking about NASCAR.)
psgthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Garage
Bad enough that the cagers don't give bikers the respect we deserve, most are playing with their electronic gadgets instead of paying attention to what their suppose to be doing
Road Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Try'n to behave

I feel your pain bro. It's a daily occurance here in the Hampton Roads area, especially when having to deal with Naval Base traffic.

I usually get cut off like that twice at least every time I ride to work. Seems these cagers think they are special and their time is more important than anyone else's so they can try and ride up past a line of cars and cut over at the last minute.

I really hate stupid people.
Pred8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Boss View Post
Bad enough that the cagers don't give bikers the respect we deserve, most are playing with their electronic gadgets instead of paying attention to what their suppose to be doing
AGREED!!! I do a LOT of driving [field service mgr with 30 dealers in PA,NJ,MD,] as well as if-needed trips to NY,VA, CT,and elsewhere.
Mostly the cagers are too busy T alking, T exting, or R eading to pay attention to where they are going OR whatever is happening around them. They will cut you off, or zoom across 2 or 3 lanes to make the exit they almost missed.
I do FULLY understand how scary it is on a scooter [had 2 really close ones this year] , but it is just as bad with a company cage. It can be worse , because cagers like to "draft" and when something happens, it will wad-up several at once ['cause the drafters are T,T, & R also]

It really GRINDS MY HAM !!
wrnchtchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:22 AM   #10 (permalink)

Glad to hear its not just me! That sounds bad, I don't wish trouble on anyone, but I think you know what I mean. This has become a new pet peave of mine. After retiring and now living in Kentucky I love riding the back roads, and there are plenty of them here as opposed to SoCal. But every ride, and I don't think I am exagerating, at least one oncoming bozo will be driving at least 2 feet over the centerline causing me to make a much needed and sometimes very urgent adjustment to my path. And worse, they don't make any effort to get their rusted out POS back on their side. The only thing I can figure is they don't particularly like bikers here or they just figure I am small and don't need the whole side of the road. It gets spooky sometimes. I have thought about keeping a couple of eggs in my jacket pocket and tossing one into their path, but figured if they don't care if they run me off the road they might be willing to chase me down and make it even worse. No idea how to effectively handle it except to just stay alert.
Wiredog is offline   Reply With Quote