My Experience in Getting My Motorcycle Endorsement - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > General Motorcycle Related

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
My Experience in Getting My Motorcycle Endorsement

At long last, I have completed all the requirements to get the motorcycle endorsement added to my North Carolina Driver's license. In order to help others who may be new to the game, I thought I would detail my experiences here. Although getting the endorsment was one of the easiest things I have ever done, there are still some Best Practices that should be followed. That being said, do keep in mind that obtaining the legal priviledge to drive a motorcycle in your state may differ from mine.

There are two ways to get your M (motorcycle endoresement) added to your driver's license in NC. You can either take a class at a local community college that offers it, or go through the DMV entirely. If you go through the DMV, you'll get a permit then get your M. I chose to do through the local community college. It's more thorough, in my opinion, and stresses safety more.

The first step is to sign up at a local community college that teaches the class. Be certain to ask if the class is DMV approved. If not, you'll be wasting your time and money. I highly recommend going to classes that are endorsed by the Motorcycle Saftey Foundation. These classes are comprehensive, are almost always approved by the DMV, and you'll get your money's worth. For me, the class cost $130 and was held on a Friday, the following Sunday, and then the next Sunday.

The Friday class. This class is meet & greet, get to know the rider coaches, and get to know your fellow riders. You'll go through the first several chapters of the MFC booklet and watch videos. This class is 6pm - 10pm.

The First Sunday class. This class will have you on a motorcycle by 8:30 and you'll stay on your motorcycle all the way through about 4pm. Afterward, it's more class instruction.

The Second Sunday class. This class will have you on a motorcycle by 8:30 and you'll stay on your motorcycle until about 5pm. You will also take your riding test. By 5:30pm (we ran a bit late) you'll report to the classroom to finish up any book material and then take your written test. Assuming you pass both, you'll get your graduation card and your DMV waiver. This waiver gets you out of having to take the ridig test with the DMV again. You will, however, still have to take their eye exam and their 25 question written exam.

The DMV. Go to your local DMV and present your waiver. They will assign you a number and send you back to the lobby. You'll wait. And wait. And then you'll wait some more. Eventually, you'll be called to speak with a DMV rep who will administer the quick eye exam (i.e. read the top row of letters) ask you to identify some road signs, and then you'll go to a computer to take the written exam. Once completed, you have your M. Your license will be mailed to you in a few days.

NOTES ABOUT THE MOTORCYCLE CLASS

1. Be respectful and polite at all times. Remember, you paid money to be there. If the rider coaches think for one moment you may be a hazard to yourself or others, they can make you leave. You will not get a refund. Being an ass is a fast way to convince them the class would be better off without you.

2. Your previous riding experience is IRRELEVANT. The class is designed to take someone who has never had a two-wheeled machine under their ass in their life to someone who can at the very least do some mild cornering and handle the clutch. Showing off or being impatient because you are skilled rider is a very fast way to get on the rider coach's radar in a bad way. Remember, in the eyes of the rider coach it is SAFETY FIRST. Be patient. Do as your are told and no more than you are told. Showing off or being impatient will intimidate the less skilled riders and make the rider coach's job that much harder.

3. Bring the gear they tell you to bring. On the first day of class, they will tell you what gear to get. Have every bit of it. Do not for one moment think you can show up with the wrong kind of boots (or other gear) and be allowed to ride. THIS GOES FOR WOMEN AS WELL. It doesn't matter how expensive your boots are. If they expose the ankle, you don't get to ride. If you have questions about gear, ask. Better safe than sorry.

4. If you have issues with your bike, bring it to the rider coach's attention immediately. Your bike should ride smooth with an even clutch and accelerator. If your bike feels jerky, speak to your rider coach. Remember, these bikes have been ridden by plenty of students before you and have probably been laid down a time or two.

5. Pay attention to all the videos and class instruction. I promise you, there are things for even an experienced rider to learn.

NOTES ABOUT THE DMV

1. On the day you go to the DMV, be sure you have plenty of time. The DMV rushes for no one, not even you. If work is an issue, take a Friday afternoon off or something. Do not go to the DMV thinking they will speed things up just for you.

2. Don't go nuts with the DMV computer. More than likely, your test will be administered to you on a touch screen computer. Be careful. The machine I used was slow, Slow, SLOW. I had to be very careful tapping on the screen lest I answer the next question abruptly. When you tap your answer, be patient and give that slow ass machine your hard earned tax dollars paid for time to catch up.

3. Remember, everyone goes to the DMV. You will see people there you would rather not see ever again in your life (the person sitting next to me in the waiting room smelled like hog poop and was missing teeth). And all the hot babes with big tits show up there, too. Be patient. Wait for your number to be called. Follow instructions. And don't get caught staring at the babe with big tits. She may be only 17 getting her driver's license for the first time and there are plenty of people in the building who are more than capable of arresting you.

One Final Note - Very Important

There have been many things in my life that cause my to-good-to-be-true alarms to go off. Getting my M is one of them. Just because you pass all these tests does NOT mean you are ready to go out and buy a $20,000 Road King and start cruising. Take your time. Get a smaller bike, like a Sportster, and drive around your house in your neighborhood. Get used to the clutch, the brakes, and handling the road. Practice looking over your shoulder to check for traffic. Practice any items you failed during the riding test (I passed everything). Your first few bikes should be rentals. The HD shop in my town will rent a bike to you for $75 a day and you must provide them a credit card with at least $2000 available for insurance. By using rentals, you can gain experience and also find out the bike that is right for you. Rent a small Sportster first then work your way up. Don't go get your rental on heavy traffic days. Go on Sunday mornings when everyone is at church and traffic is minimal. Have a friend with you that will follow you home. If you honestly can't drive that well (e.g. haven't fully mastered the clutch yet), have the bike delivered to your home. People will help you, just ask.

I hope this information is helpful. I'd like to say in closing that getting my M was the most fun I have had in a long time. I'll be getting my first rental as soon as my license comes in. I should have more information later.

JamesNT
JamesNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

Garage
Have you ever considered decaf?
bikedelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

Good write up but yea decaf
“Sometimes when I reflect on all the beer I drink, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work. I think, "It is better to drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
- Babe Ruth
Tailgunner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
mod run amuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNT View Post
And all the hot babes with big tits show up there, too. Be patient. don't get caught staring at the babe with big tits. She may be only 17 getting her driver's license for the first time and there are plenty of people in the building who are more than capable of arresting you.

2005 FXD - The "fun" bike 23k+
1997 FLHTC, "GGII" 142k+

Gone but not forgotten....
2001 Road Glide - The pink bike
2006 VRSCR - The red headed step child of the V-Rods
1995 FLHT "GG I" 127k miles - RIP (1997-2010)
1987 XL883 Hugger - Her Bike

http://www.doolinband.com - the band!

gtrman66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

Garage
Very good write up.
bigchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:28 AM   #6 (permalink)

A little long, but all good info.
Badinfluence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

Garage
I remember getting my license at 14 years old for up to 125cc motorcycle....have had the same license ever since...lol...course that was in 1968 when they followed you around the block, then took a little test....15.00 ordeal...lol.......Excellent write-up.....
mgosset1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

here in La. things are much simpler , after 35 years of not riding

i went to dmv , purchased my title and tag , showed her my dot approved helment , passed a simple multiple choice test , lady steped out of front door and watched as i drove out of parking lot to next driveway doing a turnaround and came back and said cheese for my mug shot , no drama.
Ralph in La. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:48 AM   #9 (permalink)

The experience differs from state to state. In AZ, I could either go to the MVD and take the written and riding test or sign up for a MSF Basic Rider Course and they provide the testing. It cost me $230 for the course but not having ridden in 25 years, I thought it would be money well spent. My class was Friday evening, Saturday and Sunday. At the end of the course, I passed both the written and riding tests and was given a certificate to take to the MVD for my endorsement. I had to spend a minimum amount of time at the MVD, which is always a good thing.

Phoenix, AZ
2011 Electra Glide Ultra Limited
[psychedelic purple/vivid black]
phx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
In the wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNT View Post
Your previous riding experience is IRRELEVANT.
Wrong! Experience is always relevant. You don't have to be a cowboy/show off... only show the instructor you have the skills to survive on the street.
They see and understand and appreciate when an experienced rider comes through to retake their license after being away.
It shows the rookies it can be done.
I came back in 97 after being away for ten years. Aced it. (got in a lot of trouble in the 80's )
A riders course that supplies little itty bitty bikes is good!
It can be very hard to pass the test on your own sportbike or cruiser that physically won't turn tight enough or fit through the course.
A saw a girl or two (dumb f**k guys also) that learned their bike ok, but could not man handle (sorry) a 600 lb cruiser through the course.

The two BOYS that took the cake barely passed the test and race away at full rpm's on their sportbikes. DEATH WISH!
NCWSporty is offline   Reply With Quote