I need some help here... - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > General Motorcycle Related

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 06:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
I need some help here...

My brother has been riding for 30+ years and has always ridden metrics and for the last 10 has be riding Honda Gold Wings.

He just expressed to me today (awesome) that he would like to "do the Harley thing" if he could just find a bike (touring preferably) that would offer the same benefit as his Wing. The only problem is that he likes riding on pegs, it's all he's done his whole life. He says he would feel unsafe just riding on floor boards...

I've been riding for only a short time coming up on 3 years (and I'm all in hook line and sinker) but I don't know enough and haven't been around long enough to have seen what you all have seen.

So I need some help here in downloading to him what you know about any modifications that could be made to get him on an HD with preserving his style of riding.

Thank you in advance.

Life Church Riders Group Germantown WI
Riding with our Lord!
Knash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Tell him to test drive an ultra classic at the dealer

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
06ultrarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

I agree he just needs to test ride one of the ultra models. I don't think it would take him long to get used to floorboards if he give it a try. And he would probably end up liking the floorboards.
mrmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
TGPNW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knash View Post
The only problem is that he likes riding on pegs,[/I] it's all he's done his whole life. He says he would feel unsafe just riding on floor boards...
Honest concern.... but how does he know? At least he should give them a honest try.
93horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Smokin Ogre

I suggest he rent a bike for a weekend. That way he has no commitment and can decide for himself.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

A Street Glide, and remove the floor boards and install pegs. They just won't be under his knees. They'll be farther forward. Nice.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Garage
Well my 2012 FLTRX is the first bike I ever had with floor boards, I like them a lot better than pegs.

That's just me though ... then again this is the first "bagger" won't ever go back I like being able to carry my rain gear etc without bungie cords.
secoleman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

I had the same concerns when I moved up to a touring bike. It took about 20 miles to figure out how much I liked them. The Harley riding position is different than what he's been on so he may not understand their advantage until he tries them out.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

Garage
Hey guys, thanks for the feedback, I appreciate that very much. We've switched bikes before and I've hated it because I do not the peg way of riding on his Gold Wing. I guess he wan't comfortable either, be that as it may, I'll forward your suggestion of going on multiple test rides when the weather permits as it makes sense.
I do think the FLTRX would be more his flavor. He'll have to give it an honest try though because you're right, he'll never know unless he gives it an honest try of more than a couple of miles.

Life Church Riders Group Germantown WI
Riding with our Lord!
Knash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Imperial Wizard...

He would get used to it...put some pegs on the crash bar....he will like it alot better if he ever get used to it...you just like what you know...