Broken Down and Embarrassed ***Meaningless Story Warning*** - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > General Motorcycle Related

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Broken Down and Embarrassed ***Meaningless Story Warning***

My neighbor invited me over to his friend's house to watch last night's fight. I needed to drive separate and decided to get the ol' springer out for a late night cruise. Earlier in the day, I noticed that she was feeling a little sluggish and figured I might be losing my spark plugs (I've had jetting issues in the past). After a few drinks and the fight I walked out to the bike to ride home. My bike being cold natured anyway, she was difficult to start at around 45 degrees. After trying and trying to start with no luck I asked the party host for a wrench so I could swap out my plugs (I keep a spare set in the tool pouch). The new plugs didn't help right away and I eventually drained the battery trying to get her started. By this time, most of the dudes are outside watching me struggle with my beloved springer. We get some jumpers and hook it up to a Honda Civic and I finally get her going. I limped it to the house and went to bed dejected, embarrassed, and pissed.

Figuring that I was going to need new jets for my S&S SuperE I tore into the carb this morning. Everything looked clean and well used in there. The bike is running a 295 intermediate and a 068 main jet. I took everything out and gave it a good cleaning before reassembly. I decided to pull the plugs to give them a good cleaning as well. In this process, I discovered that my front cylinder plug wire had been pulled loose from the ignition box. Hoping that this was the cause of my original issue I cleaned and tightened all the connections around there.

Started her up and took her out for a spin and so far so good. Hopefully the plug wire is what caused the original problem and wasn't loosened when I was changing the plugs. Fingers crossed.

If you made it this far thanks for reading through my rant. Some days I want to kick that thing over! Have a great week!

If EOD were easy, the Coast Guard would do it!
EODGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sometimes its good just to get it off your chest. Glad to hear she's back up and running, hopefully stays that way!!!

Sent from my XT907 using Motorcycle.com Free App
D1W1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

Glad ya got it figured out, and posted about it. You never know when someone else will be having the same issue, remember reading this and know right where to look to fix it!
Old 12-10-2012, 06:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

Garage
Interesting story even if it seems rudimentary....

Life Church Riders Group Germantown WI
Riding with our Lord!
Knash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EODGuy View Post
In this process, I discovered that my front cylinder plug wire had been pulled loose from the ignition box. Hoping that this was the cause of my original issue I cleaned and tightened all the connections around there.
You can bend the plug ends, and make them fit tighter. Frequent starts on choke, and not warming a bike up can lead to this as well.

This important part is you found the issue, fixed it and the story dodn't involve the words "Push" or "Trailer".
Old 12-10-2012, 07:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Hit it she goes boom

Thanks for posting, information is never lost unless its not shared...hope that made sense, its a pre coffee remark.

"Give her full throttle till ya see God... then back off"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diezel View Post
Golds bike sounds like a 66' Chevelle. It's amazing.
GotGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave63 View Post
You can bend the plug ends, and make them fit tighter. Frequent starts on choke, and not warming a bike up can lead to this as well.

This important part is you found the issue, fixed it and the story dodn't involve the words "Push" or "Trailer".

That's what I ended up doing. The plug wire is actually pretty tight. There's zero slack in the line. I've never noticed this before. I wonder if age finally just got to it...but do they shrink? It's odd. Sounds like a good excuse to pick up a set of paint matching plug wires.

If EOD were easy, the Coast Guard would do it!
EODGuy is offline   Reply With Quote