My new glove liners - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > General Motorcycle Related

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 11:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Aaaaayyyyy

Garage
My new glove liners

I got these heated glove liners, mailman dropped them off on Friday (which was 65 degrees, btw).

Thermo Gloves Rechargeable Heated Glove Liners
I wore them for the commute today (65 miles each way). At least so far this morning they held up pretty well. My hands were still a little cold when I got to work, but not quite as cold as they get wearing non-heated glove liners at about 30 degree temperatures.

They are supposed to last two hours on the highest setting, 5 hours on the lowest (yeah, I did the highest this morning). I'll find out I suppose if the batteries last on the trip home. They are rechargeable Lithium Ion batteries.

Oh, the temp when I left the house this morning was 10F. I kept my speed around 65~70, which, depending on which wind chill reference you are using (old way or new way) would make the "feels like" index at -37 for the old way and -20 for the new way.

I do need to find better anti-fog. Had to stop half way through the commute to de-ice the visor on the brain bucket.

I will add that sitting on a motorcycle seat in 10 degree weather is like sitting on a rock. Them things freeze pretty darned solid.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

I found a solution to the fogging deal.....but you're not going to wanna hear it......

I was at a yard sale, and the guy had a full face helmet for sale for $10. I figured as long as it didn't smell like asss, I'd buy it. No asss smell and here, the shield is double-glass. (Lexan) It's a snowmobile helmet.

The double layer of lexan has an air barrier, like a double-paned window, which prevents fogging by 100%.....

I've yet to find anything else that prevents it. Your warm breath on anything, below 45* is just a problem, and more if the humidity is higher.

If you survived 65-70 speeds, at 10*F, then you have a good pair of gloves/heaters. Hardly anything is usable in those temps that you can say "really works".

Rechargable is even better.........
Old 01-14-2013, 12:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Aaaaayyyyy

Garage
I had recently seen a helmet with a double pane visor, I hadn't thought about looking for snow machine gear, would those be DOT? Now, the key is to find a place around this area that deals in snow machine gear. I may need to check out Cabela's, but for some reason I am having my doubts about that.

They worked well enough. I wouldn't say my hands were toasty warm, but at least they weren't cold enough to hurt when I got to work (have had that happen in the past which is why I previously had my cut-off temp at 30F).

Thanks for the input Dave!
Old 01-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Some snowmobile helmets you plug in and the shield heats up. Some also have breath deflectors...
mat 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Señor Member

Crap, Monzie. Or should we call you Nanook?

Chief Illiniwek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave63 View Post
I found a solution to the fogging deal.....but you're not going to wanna hear it......

I was at a yard sale, and the guy had a full face helmet for sale for $10. I figured as long as it didn't smell like asss, I'd buy it. No asss smell and here, the shield is double-glass. (Lexan) It's a snowmobile helmet.

The double layer of lexan has an air barrier, like a double-paned window, which prevents fogging by 100%.....

I've yet to find anything else that prevents it. Your warm breath on anything, below 45* is just a problem, and more if the humidity is higher. . .

I have a pinlock on my fullface winter helmet. You are correct. Nothing else works, and this works perfectly.

PinlockUSA | PinlockUSA
Old 01-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monzie View Post
.....would those be DOT?
Crap.... I never even thought of that. Now I have to go look. It doesn't matter for me living in a "No Helmet" state, but it may important if my head hits the ground.

Not sure if snowmobile helmets are safe for macadam surfing.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

I just had a look and my Skidoo modular helmet has DOT on it.
mat 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

Sounds like it's better than nothing, but $150? Wow. I guess if you use them all the time it's worth it. The comments about fogging is what really keeps me from riding in the cold. I was riding to work in the morning one day at 37 degrees as I knew the ride home would be worth it, and it's only about a 25 minute ride. I had to keep opening the visor to clear the fog. By the time I got within a few minutes of work I HAD to leave it open. At least it was through town.
Hunt/fish 365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Aaaaayyyyy

Garage
I plan on using them all the time and the $150 is a bit better than the $200+ for the Gerber or HD gloves that plug into the bike. An added bonus is they are not 'tethered' to my bike (so to speak), I can use them anywhere, anytime. My motorcycle is my primary form of transportation. If it's raining or snowing I do take the 5/8's cage, but 90% of the time, the bike is it, it's what I have.

Chasarms, I like the pinlock concept. Doesn't look like they make one for my brand of helmet, do you know if they have a 'universal' version? I can't seem to find anything about that on their website.

I think I'm going to go ahead and give this a try though: http://shop.pinlockusa.net/p/fogcity...lear?pp=8&pp=8