HOG membership? - Page 3 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > General Motorcycle Related

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #21 (permalink)
Aaaaayyyyy

Garage
I belong to the national chapter. Like having the free tow. I also like the magazine, but what makes it really worth while is the road atlas you get every year. Lots of great ride ideas in that thing. Oh, the AT&T Wireless and Best Western discounts aren't too bad either. Was in the local chapter last year. They have quite a few rides, but I didn't go on many. They are good people, mostly older, and we just don't quite gel for some reason.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:26 PM   #22 (permalink)

Garage
My HOG membership get me a "considerable" discount on my insurance.

Like The 3-Legged Armadillo...I May Be Slow, But I'm Always Hard.
Spiked111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:00 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiked111 View Post
My HOG membership get me a "considerable" discount on my insurance.
Really? Mind letting us know which insurance company and a round number for the "considerable" discount?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Natty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:22 PM   #24 (permalink)
Yea, real tough guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandy58 View Post
My dealer pushed this hard, they have a local chapter. Is it worth it? Are the meet ups and rides fun? My big concern is the age. I just moved to Austin and I know nobody. I have no issue on becoming a member assuming I meet people in my age range, I am 31. Any thoughts?

Look at it this way. Maybe you'll meet only one person who's pretty cool to ride and hang out with. You're ahead of the game already, especially being new to the area. Chances are however, you will meet a great group of people from all age groups and backgrounds.
AEC(AW/NAC), USN (Ret.)
Widows Sons Masonic Riders Association

Naphtali Tribe
Guardian of Membership
Road Captain
RDU1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #25 (permalink)
Semper Fi

In my opinion: It depends a great deal on the individual HOG chapter. Some are very active in planning weekend rides and even community charities and events. The main question thing is, do you have the personality for group things?

Some people are joiners and love the company of others. Myself, I ride almost exclusively alone with the occasional weekend jaunt with friends. I am a national member but rarely go on the local planned rides but that is just me.

Like I said, if you like meeting people and socializing with them then it can be great. Me, I'll take the twisties by myself and enjoy being on the move to no particular place.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:45 PM   #26 (permalink)

don't know about there, but I pay $20/year. If you are buying a Harley, you can damn well afford $20 to find out. You'll spend more in the bar club ..... at each meeting.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:50 PM   #27 (permalink)
GO AVS

I just signed up for nataional, next stop, the dealership to sign up for the local and give it a try. The national seems great simpley because you get that atlas. Plus I was looking on ebay, people sell those patches! I won't but I could if I wanted to.
Vandy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:26 PM   #28 (permalink)
Harley Rider

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandy58 View Post
I just signed up for nataional, next stop, the dealership to sign up for the local and give it a try. The national seems great simpley because you get that atlas. Plus I was looking on ebay, people sell those patches! I won't but I could if I wanted to.
You will get a lovely pin for your vest or jacket as well.
TmikeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:36 PM   #29 (permalink)
Turgid Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natty View Post
Really? Mind letting us know which insurance company and a round number for the "considerable" discount?

HD insurance through Progressive. I got a discount for being a HOG member, taking the HD Riders Edge course and having a Michigan cycle endorsement on my drivers license. They weren't what I'd call considerable though.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

Michigan
2012 FXDC "Big Blue Pearl"
2010 XL883L "Vivid Black"
Moisture free since 2011
Ratso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:49 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratso View Post
HD insurance through Progressive. I got a discount for being a HOG member, taking the HD Riders Edge course and having a Michigan cycle endorsement on my drivers license. They weren't what I'd call considerable though.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Ah ok thx. Wonder if the discount had more to do with the Rises Edge course than the HOG membership.

Curious, you mentioned having the michigan motorcycle endorsement, is that not mandatory? It is in NJ but then again NJ is the land of over regulation.

Natty is offline   Reply With Quote