MMI tech school - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > General Motorcycle Related

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2009, 12:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

MMI tech school

Hi all,

Been reading an ad on the last HOG magazine I received at home, about a harley sponsored training for repair engineer training.

Went to see on the MMI tech site, and there are actually 2 sites where you can take those 30 weeks long training program. One in Phoenix, and other one is in Orlando..

1st question is, anyone here took this cursus, or has a friend who took it??

last, but not least, what you guys would recommend between AR or FL.. I refer to night life, girls, weather, quality of life, etc..

Thanks for your input..
El classico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El classico View Post
Hi all,

Been reading an ad on the last HOG magazine I received at home, about a harley sponsored training for repair engineer training.

Went to see on the MMI tech site, and there are actually 2 sites where you can take those 30 weeks long training program. One in Phoenix, and other one is in Orlando..

1st question is, anyone here took this cursus, or has a friend who took it??

last, but not least, what you guys would recommend between AR or FL.. I refer to night life, girls, weather, quality of life, etc..

Thanks for your input..
A friend just finished with the AZ course. Loved it. Hot and in the desert.

Are you going to network, or learn about bikes?

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

Prime objective is to learn about old bikes, but I do cherish quality of life...
Old 04-05-2009, 10:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El classico View Post
Prime objective is to learn about old bikes, but I do cherish quality of life...
I hear ya. I'll ask what the night life was like there.

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Just Ride

I went to MMI in 1993, I thought AZ had more options for classes, but I liked to surf so I went to the Orlando school. Lots to do in Florida. Nicer weather in AZ though, IMO. If I remember correctly the Orlando school had the harley, new and old, and suzuki schools. Also the marine mechaincs school was next door. I think the other metric bike schools are in AZ.

Not a bad school but don't live in thier "housing." You can find your own apartment for 1/3 the price if you just look. Good luck.

2009 FLHRC Road King Classic
Riverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Is this a tech school or what ? sign me up. From the MMI site - Orlando Campus:
As a premier vacation destination, there’s never a shortage of things to see and do in Orlando. You’ll be literally surrounded by countless attractions, entertainment, sports, restaurants, and shopping. With Gulf and Atlantic coasts within an hours drive, and great weather any time of year, the Orlando area is paradise for outdoor activities such as golf, water sports, boating and sport fishing. And there’s always something fun going on at Disney World or one of the area’s 95 other theme parks and attractions.
crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

thanks to all of you for your comments, that just comforts me in my first feeling that Orlando must be a nice place to live..

I will first try to get a sabbatical leave from my current employer, and will apply to the MMI.

The only thing that worries me a bit is to know if this diploma is well recognized in Europe, where I'd love to open my own business related with HD bikes, and why not apply for a dealership afterwards..

Is it a worthy diploma within the US? Or dealers prefer to employ people coming directly from the HD school, if there is any??

Thanks for your reply
Old 04-06-2009, 05:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
2007 Ultra Classic

Dealers prefer to hire MMI graduates. That's a given.

Just be prepared to start all over again. You'll spend up to a year just getting new bikes ready and doing oil changes before you get to do any of the actual work unless you come with a lot of experience and diagnostic know how.
Dinero No Mas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Just Wastin Time

Im a UTI grad from Illinois campus thats the auto-tech school. I graduated in 05 they didnt give me a diploma but I did get a certificate of completion. The school was alright I would say not totally what I was expecting. But then again it was the auto side not the cycle side.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Just Ride

Just an extra note, after spending 2 years in Orlando I couldn't wait to get back to NY. I hated Florida weather. It rains more in Florida than it does in NY , the difference is that after a bad rain storm in Orlando...it's nice and sunny again 10 minutes later. In the rainy season it rains every day at 4pm, for 10 minutes. Then you have the hurricanes etc... and the traffic's terrible, lots of tourists trying to get to the attractions..... When I was in Orlando I lost 3 friends that died in motorcycle crashes. Tourists in rentals changing lanes to chase a billboard for Universal and they just take you out. You have to pay attention in traffic down there. There are lots of cool things about the area too, but just wanted to mention a few of the drawbacks. It's not paradise in my eyes, but I'm a country boy. Just my 2 cents. But if you're moving there, knowing spanish is a huge plus.

2009 FLHRC Road King Classic
Riverdog is offline   Reply With Quote