LoJack is a WASTE!!!!!! - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > General Motorcycle Related

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2009, 05:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

LoJack is a WASTE!!!!!!

I got my '09 Street Glide in January. Since I was about $500 apart from the dealership on making a deal, they threw in a $500 LoJack plus installation.
When I first got it home, I set it up via LoJack to send me texts when someone takes the bike. You have to ride around with a key fob to make sure you don't get the alerts. When the kid who works for LoJack originally set it up, he set it up with dashes between the numbers on my phone number, so I didn't the texts. Well, they corrected it (finally) and my system worked fine. The only problem with setting it up was you have to originally ride around with the fob to "arm" the unit, then leave it at home to test it. I did this, and it worked fine. Then the bike sat for a month or so.
Yesterday I took it out riding and left the fob at home to test it. I got no messages! I called them to find out what was wrong with it. Here's where the LoJack is really fu#*ed up. She told me if I don't ride the bike for a few DAYS (not weeks, not months), the system goes into "sleep" mode. I was like, 7 ?????????
So, essentially, if I go on vacation and someone breaks into my garage, not only will I not know about it, but they don't get the updates, either. In other words, the only time they can tell you the bike's last area is if the system is not in sleep mode!!!! WTF???? As it stands now, I'm not where the bike is right now, and it won't re-arm until I actually ride the bike with the fob in my pocket to re-arm it. And then, if I don't ride it for a few days, it goes back into sleep mode!!!!
I chewed her out and told her that whoever designed that system should be fired. I would even understand it a little better if the fob went to sleep and the unit on the bike stayed active so at least LoJack could tell the police a general area where the bike is.
The other thing I don't like about it is even when it's working fine, you don't get alerts for at least 15-30 minutes depending on coverage area!!! I asked them what good that was, and they said the police wanted it that way so people wouldn't go out and play hero. I was like, "I have a gun, and I'd like to stop the crime in progress. What good is it if the bike is gone before you know it?"
So, bottom line......buy yourself an alarm instead and pocket the other half of the cash for exhaust or something. This system SUCKS!!!! :::::
Streetglidin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2009, 05:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Northern Redneck

nothin' beats a silent alarm and you with a loaded .45.....
Blackdog 15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2009, 05:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Luke 22:36

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog 15 View Post
nothin' beats a silent alarm and you with a loaded .45.....
except maybe a silenced .45
Best 1/4 MPH 108.59
Kainam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2009, 06:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
when did it start 4u

those springfields r nice, still like my kimber , but that is a crock of shi* right ther I mean seriously what good is it ??
2011 Subaru OB (DD)

A great man once said
" you better keep your traps shut, bc you know what they say, People in glass houses sink ships"
Jacket4256 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2009, 06:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetglidin View Post
So, essentially, if I go on vacation and someone breaks into my garage, not only will I not know about it, but they don't get the updates, either. In other words, the only time they can tell you the bike's last area is if the system is not in sleep mode!!!! WTF????
Read your manual.

https://my.lojack.com/Documents/LJ_E...nersManual.pdf

If the bike goes into sleep mode, the police can still activate LoJack and find your registered bike, AFTER YOU TELL THEM IT"S STOLEN, sleep mode or not. The early warning system is really limited.........

If you're on vacation, you should have a home alarm system to stop theives from entering the garage, or lock the garage door and disconnect power from the overhead door. I'd be more worried about my home, then an insured motorcycle in my garage, Just sayin'.....

The messaging system is a short term system that notifies YOU of a problem, but has a sleep mode to prevent battery drain, that will also shut the system down. Not sure why it can't be (sleep mode) deactivated, especially if the bike is on a Battery Tender. I don;t see anything for that........

Page 16 of 28 clearly states that, ...The LoJack is designed to enable police to track and recover your motorcycle in the event that it's stolen, it's not designed to prevent theft.

Face it......it's a quasi-secure system sold to recover stolen bikes. If someone really wants your motorcycle, short of burying it in your yard, 10' deep, they'll get it........

Thieves suck.

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2009, 06:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
a new old fart

with the delay of 15 min. that gives anybody time to disarm it. this is a good to know post, now I know what I wont waste my money on. thank you .
L.A.Jones
Larry Jones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2009, 07:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jones View Post
with the delay of 15 min. that gives anybody time to disarm it.
If you knew it was on the bike......... they're hidden.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Boooya!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave63 View Post
If you knew it was on the bike......... they're hidden.
Dave how long do you think it would take you to find it on a Harley????

3x6 in black box with two wires and an antenna.
streetnoyz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2009, 08:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetnoyz View Post
Dave how long do you think it would take you to find it on a Harley????

3x6 in black box with two wires and an antenna.
Not long at all......IF you knew the bike had one. Not to metnion, you wouldn't have that 15 time frame, if the house alrm were yelping from a garage door violation.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

thats why you push it on a trailer or van and beat feet I heard stories were they just cut out the battery and done deal
If they want it they will get it no matter what.
Badassbrutus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.