Newb whos broke down mid trip - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 02:05 AM Thread Starter

Newb whos broke down mid trip

To start with I know I'm suppose to post over on new,, but I'm wiped out. Once I'm home and have slept I will post there. I'll try not to ramble on....I'm 46 have had bikes just not Harleys. I'm an auto mechanic, this is how I make a living out of my own home. Not trying to say because I'm an auto mechanic I know it all, obviously duh, so I know Harleys. Farthest thing from the truth, just stating I have some degree of mechanical aptitude.More on this later. Bought my first Harley a week ago 2009 Heritage softail classic with 17,500 miles From a friend. It was his dad's bike who recently passed away. Even did a short day trip on it with him 3 months ago. Ran great he told me he just changed all fluids with red line. I put appox. 200 miles on it the past week. Kinda checking it out knowing I was going on a road trip to Colorado. (last night) Just made sure back tire was sraight cuz handle bars lean a little. I adjusted shocks I'm not small and I planed on staying a couple weeks. I had luggage with nothing extreme.Any how, pulling into Holbrook, AZ in the wee hours of this morning I noticed a slight vibration starting in 6th gear. Hmmm, I kept going thinking Gallup, NM had to have a stealership. Halfway to Gallup now the vibration is horrendous. All gears when under power, as soon as I pull in the clutch vibration disappears. If I just putt along trying not to give it much power I can float along 50-55 with this death rattle, foot vibrating off the floor board, hands going numb vibration being calmed way down. To the point that maybe I can make it without totally destroying it and finished the trip to Gallup. on the freeway doing 50. I work on cars I know a rattle thats gonna cause some damage when it let's go. I was willing to gamble and not walk...lol. When vibration would start I'd change gears sometimes up would help sometimes down. Wasn't just sitting on it I was actively trying to get it the smoothest I could. Reminded me of a severly bent driveline in a car you know it's gonna tear things up when it let's loose. Sorry just trying to explain the issue not ramble. Galloup no dealership or parts was told Albuquerque. Hell at this point I'm commited either forward and possibly fix or wait 8 to 10 hrs just to get picked up. I kept going. Side note best mpg I got was 60.1. I was told by one of the shops in Albuquerque it's your primary chain adjusted they are junk. So I called around looking for aftermarket one. Found one, my plan was to go there and tear it apart in his parking lot. He's got parts that I need. I've never done this I do have the service manual on my phone. I'm pretty sure I can get it open and deduce if it's bad or not.I know what a bad chain guide looks like. I not entirely clueless unlike the shop owner who thought I was. I make my living wrenching like him I assume he's earning money fixing bikes he must know something. Well he didn't feel that way about me. In his defence when he asked me 2 start the bike I kept pushing the blinker button. Come on at that point I'd been up 31 hours. Right now it been 46 hours since my road trip started I caught a 2 hour nap now I'm posting this. I opened case, guide is fine oil has a ton of metal for only 600 miles. Got that whole cool metal flake paint look. With bigger copper colored flakes in the bottom. He says they are silver the red line makes them that color. Nothing copper or brass in there. Oh I forgot when I got back on the bike to go to his shop there was no vibration until it warmed up I was still grandma driving. I don't wanna blow up my Harley in the first week. Then he said belt was way 2 tight only deflecting 3/8 instead 9/16. Thats my vibration I'm just being a little bitch about a little vibration. You know Harleys vibrate and I'm totally overreacting. When I asked if that's the case how come it stops when I pull in the clutch because I know if it's the belt as long as it's turning it'll vibrate he mumbled something. This point I'm kinda fed up with being treated like I don't know my ads from a hole in the ground. I said i was fine I'm over doing it but it's my bike, it was my time that I wasted driving slow and it made me feel better. This is not a good vibration. IAll in total he worked on it for 4 hours. I told him I had money for some parts or some labor not both. He changed tranny fluid cuz red line is worthless. Fine I didn't add it I don't care. Found a loose mount up top of motor, ran his finger on my primary chain says all the metal is from it but it's not going to grenade. Put it back together adjust my belt a little extra loose . I offered for him to drive when I first Got there so he could feel first hand he declined. Now he drives it up and down street comes back has me do almost a square mile loop of 30 mph the whole way.Of course it was fine it never heated up. He's all gloating at how stupid I am blah,blah whatever. I gotta give him credit he only charged me 100.00 for 4 hours Labour ,oil and he even replaced a grommet on one of my bags that was tore.I left his shop after 6 tonight 10 miles down the freeway it's back vibrating like a bitch. I'm not going back 2 him. I'm hard of hearing but maybe noise from motor now or it's the primary chain I'm hearing.. It don't vibrate with the clutch in . Right now I'm sitting in a motel about 5 miles outside of Albuquerque. I told wife it's a little better it isn't. Do I putt to Colorado help family with their roof or throw in the towel have someone come get me. I'm sorry I vented, I'm delirious From lack of sleep and hoping one of you knows the answer that'll fix my bike. I'm posting this When I should sleep then proof read. Sorry about my poor grammar and incohert rambling. Oh I forgot that 10 or 15 miles I did on the freeway after leaving his shop I drove it 70 to 75 mph when I stopped the oil was 250. Someone be my savior I'm lost and far from home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 02:50 AM
أنا كافر

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo70W100 View Post
Oh I forgot that 10 or 15 miles I did on the freeway after leaving his shop I drove it 70 to 75 mph when I stopped the oil was 250. Someone be my savior I'm lost and far from home.
That's the clue right there.

Aint no way in hell oil temp can get to 250 in 15 miles.

Check your oil pressure.

Mala Ipsa Nova
Psalm 144:1 Luke 22:36

'05 Carbed Night Train
111 rwhp, 112 rwtq
Best 1/4 ET 12.557s
Best 1/4 MPH 108.59
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 04:30 AM
The Extreme Member

Garage
Check Compensator it may be trashed.

Proud member of the NTC (North Texas Crew)

US Army (Vet) 81/86
NTXPGR

The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.

---

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 06:32 AM
Retired citizen

Garage
Bike only vibrates when it's hot ... hmmmm ? And no vibes when the clutch is pulled in ... hmmmm?
Sounds to me like it's a clutch issue. But wait, this is a 2009 right ? My guess is the inner primary bearing is taking a shit.
Gordo70W100 likes this.

Disclaimer : Don't believe anything I say unless you are absolutely sure that I know what I'm talking about .
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 07:11 AM

Yep sounds like ipb or clutch. I know it's a ways but you said you were headed to Colorado if you can somehow get it near me (a little north of Denver ) I'll fix it for you for the price of the parts
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 07:15 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMIDTY View Post
Bike only vibrates when it's hot ... hmmmm ? And no vibes when the clutch is pulled in ... hmmmm?

Sounds to me like it's a clutch issue. But wait, this is a 2009 right ? My guess is the inner primary bearing is taking a shit.

^^^^ This has to be considered a definite possibility (maybe even a probability). A tight drive belt puts a strain on the trans and primary bearings.

--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jimmers and Gordo70W100 like this.

"There's no sensation to compare with this
Suspended animation, a state of bliss
" --Pink Floyd
** This line seems to come to mind often while I'm riding.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old. They grow old because they quit playing." --Oliver Wendell Holmes

"And miles to go before I sleep
...and miles to go before I sleep." -- Robert Frost

If you give up drinking, you don't live longer...it just seems longer
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 10:57 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo70W100 View Post
Found a loose mount up top of motor, Then he said belt was way 2 tight only deflecting 3/8 instead 9/16. It don't vibrate with the clutch in . Right now I'm sitting in a motel about 5 miles outside of Albuquerque. I told wife it's a little better it isn't. Do I putt to Colorado help family with their roof or throw in the towel have someone come get me. I'm sorry I vented, I'm delirious From lack of sleep and hoping one of you knows the answer that'll fix my bike. I'm posting this When I should sleep then proof read. Sorry about my poor grammar and incohert rambling. Oh I forgot that 10 or 15 miles I did on the freeway after leaving his shop I drove it 70 to 75 mph when I stopped the oil was 250. Someone be my savior I'm lost and far from home.
I would check out the other motor mounts for the vibration issue.
A bad primary adjuster can put stress on the engine main bearing and the clutch hub bearing, drawing the two together causing much friction and heat.

My advice, find a dealer in Albuquerque ,drop it off, explain the problem and have them fix it, then get a rental car and go help out your family with the roof while the bike is being repaired, when you get back to Albuquerque you will be able to turn in the rental car and ride the bike home.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Oh, s__t! I was hoping an administrator won't post that. Don't get me wrong I glad they did I need the help. But man, come on, that's a horrible first impression. Sleep deprivation and posting is just as bad as drunk posting. I still haven't read all your replies I will as soon as I'm done typing. My wife's on her way to get the bike. Her cousin is on her way to get me. Figure I'm half way might as well finish my trip and get her roof done. So it's going to be a week or week and half before I reunited with my newest love/hate relationship. JK....thanks so much everyone. Keep the ideas coming I will check all of them!
OHEhsc and JLR like this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

So primary bearings is the winner when I get home. That'll be where I start,. EvorK, I'm going to Thornton, thanks for the offer but actually I'm looking forward to working on the bike. It's something new for me to do. Haven't had that in a long time. Actually I can't wait, it's the feeling I used to get when I first started working on cars. Maybe all it took was a trip from hell and I found my passion again? Lol jumping the gun a little. I'll post a pic in just a few.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the help I'll be posting an update once I start tearing it down. I'd put up a pic but I'm clueless about that also. Wow I really sound lame! No, seriously thanks again everyone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode