RoadKing FLHR 1999 Twin Cam 88 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > General Service and Repair

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 07:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

RoadKing FLHR 1999 Twin Cam 88

Good day,

I would like to check with all the senior's here regarding the above mention bike.
I have this bike with me for about 6 years.
My problem is with the starting of the bike since i have changed its motor starter to a 1.4kw starter. The bike has been sitting in the garage for almost 3 good mths without starting or warming up. Yesterday got a new battery and fix it in. The bike wouldnt start and white smoke is coming out of the starter. Worse of it, the terminalof the battery melted. Has anyone face this kind ofproblem before?
Hope you guys can shed some light on this problem.
Thanks and ride safe!
feiray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Your starter likely failed and internally shorted. Probably defective....

Not a common issue.

That.....or the battery was possibly installed with the polarity reversed.

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Retired citizen

Also check for loose ground wires at the battery and down at the starter itself , rear starter bolt . Verify all the cable connections for the starter are on the correct terminals .
Old 05-10-2012, 07:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

Few months Prior to not riding, when i pressed the start button, it will take about 30-50seconds before the bike fires up. sometimes it just wont start and i need to jump start using my car battery. i notice the Neg wire gets heated pretty fast. will the 1.4kw starter cause the battery to draw larger voltage during startup? doi need a special battery for this kind of starter? yesterday fitted a new ballistic battery and both terminal melted. Polarity was right.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Retired citizen

Disconnect the starter cables and test ohms from the starter positive terminal to ground . Also disconnect the battery positive from the battery then test ohms from the negative battery to frame and engine grounds .
The starter test should show resistance but not zero , the other tests should show zero .
Old 05-10-2012, 08:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks a million for the input. will try it over the weekend.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:04 AM   #7 (permalink)

Good day,
I have just got a new batt installed. Voila!!! the bike is alive!!
Now comes another problem. Theres this knocking sound heard at the engine block. went for a spin and stationary position, suddenly the bike just died off. Restart and its runnning again. went home n tune up the idling a little and went for a ride again. This time the idling suddenly very high during stationary. Its seems that the idling not stable. and sometimes during the ride can hear the knocking sound. Please advice. Thanks
Old 05-20-2012, 06:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
Retired citizen

If you can't get the idle stabilized there might be an intake air leak at the manifold seals .
Old 12-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Could be cam tensioners I just upgraded my 99 roadking to 1550 and the new cam support plate and high flow oil pump. One of the things you need to know is that a screw needs to be put into the back of the support plate right above where the lower dowel goes into the support plate. This is because they made this plate for both engine models were in 99 they do not have the oil cross over tube to oil the chain on the A motor for counter balance.

I have also seen and broke my rear swing arm at the axle nut too much torque. I weld a bar on the new swing arm for better support.

If you have your 99 set up right it is still a good engine with the upgraded technology...

Please feel free to shoot me a note on any questions on your 99.
roadkiller99 is offline   Reply With Quote