"Beef up" that service manual - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: northeast
Posts: 108
"Beef up" that service manual

It's probably been done before......... but I thought I throw in my


I had a slight tear in my new HD service manual after it fell off the table. Decided to break out the Gorilla tape and put it on the front/back cover edges. It's tough as nails now
bradahj is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 09:04 PM
Senior Member
 
wndchsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 937
Slight torn or dirty pages just means its been used.



Patriot Guard ID #181788
US Navy Veteran
wndchsr is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 10:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Lone_Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 508
Garage
I took a metal straight edge, razor knife and cut the pages to my manuals (service and parts) as close to the binding as I could. Then I went to Walmart and picked up a 4" 3 ring binder and a 2" 3 ring binder, and about 12 packages of the clear plastic sheet protectors they sell and put each page in one.

Also if I need to I can write on the plastic with a grease pencil. Here's a few pics of the end result.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140201_225758.jpg (928.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 20140201_225907.jpg (779.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 20140201_225946.jpg (965.6 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 20140201_230013.jpg (844.1 KB, 46 views)
Lone_Rider is offline  
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 10:26 PM
Addicted Since 2010
 
XL1200R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 7,745
Images: 38
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Rider View Post
I took a metal straight edge, razor knife and cut the pages to my manuals (service and parts) as close to the binding as I could. Then I went to Walmart and picked up a 4" 3 ring binder and a 2" 3 ring binder, and about 12 packages of the clear plastic sheet protectors they sell and put each page in one.

Also if I need to I can write on the plastic with a grease pencil. Here's a few pics of the end result.
Thats a really good idea but how long did it take to do?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Link to my Youtube channel. All riding videos. Enjoy.
http://www.youtube.com/user/PittSteelers1345

"Mr. Lahey is this you talking or the liquor?"

"Randy...(takes a swig)...I am the Liquor!!!"
XL1200R is online now  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 10:47 PM
Senior Member
 
ciscokid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: fresno
Posts: 2,769
Images: 4
Garage
lone thats what i do with all my drawings and number pages and when working on lathe or mill they protect from the spills and splash's never though about that for a service book great idea

CISCO KID
ciscokid is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 10:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Lone_Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 508
Garage
I only cut 5-6 pages each time in order to help keep the cuts straight, so it took a few hours to do each one. Honestly it was worth the effort though.

A few days later I went back and bought another 3" binder and 6 more packs of sheet protectors. I use this one for receipts from everything I buy for the bike, including labor. For example let's say I'm having a tire replaced or an oil change I will also write down the mileage on the bike.
Lone_Rider is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 11:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Robert9999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Lily lake,Illinois
Posts: 711
If your going to cut up the manual why not scan it to PDF 🙀


Sent from Motorcycle.com App

Robert9999 is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 11:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Lone_Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 508
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9999 View Post
If your going to cut up the manual why not scan it to PDF ��


Sent from Motorcycle.com App
I did, I just didn't figure it was worth mentioning here.
Lone_Rider is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 12:13 AM
Luke 22:36
 
Kainam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 19,929
Images: 149
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Rider View Post
I only cut 5-6 pages each time in order to help keep the cuts straight, so it took a few hours to do each one. Honestly it was worth the effort though.

A few days later I went back and bought another 3" binder and 6 more packs of sheet protectors. I use this one for receipts from everything I buy for the bike, including labor. For example let's say I'm having a tire replaced or an oil change I will also write down the mileage on the bike.

You can also check with your local library to have your manual re-bound. They send off books in need of repair to a commercial binding company.

Else you could take your manual to a carpentry shop and have em run the bound side thru a jointer to remove the glued edge.

'05 Carbed Night Train
111 rwhp, 112 rwtq
Best 1/4 ET 12.557s
Best 1/4 MPH 108.59
Kainam is online now  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 12:21 AM
Addicted Since 2010
 
XL1200R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 7,745
Images: 38
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainam View Post
You can also check with your local library to have your manual re-bound. They send off books in need of repair to a commercial binding company.

Else you could take your manual to a carpentry shop and have em run the bound side thru a jointer to remove the glued edge.
Yea I was going to mention that you should be able to cut the binding off all in one shot with the right tools.

This is a great idea though I like it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Link to my Youtube channel. All riding videos. Enjoy.
http://www.youtube.com/user/PittSteelers1345

"Mr. Lahey is this you talking or the liquor?"

"Randy...(takes a swig)...I am the Liquor!!!"
XL1200R is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome