Air cleaner removal/clean - Page 3 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > General Service and Repair

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 02:32 AM   #21 (permalink)
Acta Non Verba

I feel your pain Chief, I've been wrenching on something all my life and the Harley was to be different. I was going to pay the dealer to do the routine maintenance and just enjoy riding.

All was good until my Fat Bob developed a seriously bad vibration, the dealer said it was just "Dyna" vibes, but did work over the front motor mount and front end of the bike. After the 3rd round with them, the service manager gave me an ear full, claimed it was all in my head, said maybe I just wasn't cut out for a bike with a full stage one, and several other things that pissed me off.

I took the bike home and considered taking it to another dealer about 50 miles away, but decided to look things over myself. I won't bore you with all the details, but the silliest one was that there were dozens of fasteners that were only hand tight(if that), I literally spend an hour with the torque wrenches just fixing that crap. Jeez, there's a vibration and we don't check for loose fasteners... WTH.

What it turned out to be is a fatigued front motor mount. This is also crazy, the dealer had the motor mount out and spent 3 1/2 hours (according to the jerk service manager) doing the M1324 service bulletin on it. They did have it out and it's obvious they shaved it, but looking at the mount it's also obvious that it's severely fatigued and needs to be replaced.

I'll post pics and the whole story as soon as I get the new motor mount installed, hopefully this weekend.

Anyhow, I'm back to wrenching. At least I'll know it was done right.

Oh, and I'll need to find a new dealer to purchase my next bike and any other Harley goodies i need from...
Old 11-16-2012, 06:07 AM   #22 (permalink)
Saddle Tramp

Location: On a good clear day, I can ALMOST see "Normal" from here!
Safe journey on your trip Chief!
We will hear from ya when ya get back!

"This is my Bike. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My Bike is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
My Bike, without me, is useless. Without my Bike, I am useless."

Big D. in SC
**Sergeant at Arms, LYMCKKC**

"See ya on the Trail!"
Big D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:44 AM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Illiniwek View Post
Dremel slot was clean. Practiced on another bolt head first. Still wouldn't budge. Ended up cutting the head off with Dremel and sliding filter off over the stem.

Filter was dented under two of the three screws. Whoever mounted that sucker drove it home. What a Richard.

I'm leaving for A conference tomorrow and then Mexico with the fam Saturday. I'll be shopping for a new filter and new hardware when I return.

BTW, another clutch adjustment and my lever pulls smooth. The downside is I adjusted the thing four times. The upside is I now have a full understanding and a bit if a "touch" for doing clutch adjustments. Never too old to keep learning.
You're doin great Chief . Have a safe journey .
RAD_Softail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:49 AM   #24 (permalink)
MPG'S? Who gives a

Garage
Have a great trip !.....Carefull with the burnyerbumittos...
Old 11-16-2012, 07:59 AM   #25 (permalink)
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelrick View Post
I feel your pain Chief, I've been wrenching on something all my life and the Harley was to be different. I was going to pay the dealer to do the routine maintenance and just enjoy riding.

All was good until my Fat Bob developed a seriously bad vibration, the dealer said it was just "Dyna" vibes, but did work over the front motor mount and front end of the bike. After the 3rd round with them, the service manager gave me an ear full, claimed it was all in my head, said maybe I just wasn't cut out for a bike with a full stage one, and several other things that pissed me off.

I took the bike home and considered taking it to another dealer about 50 miles away, but decided to look things over myself. I won't bore you with all the details, but the silliest one was that there were dozens of fasteners that were only hand tight(if that), I literally spend an hour with the torque wrenches just fixing that crap. Jeez, there's a vibration and we don't check for loose fasteners... WTH.

What it turned out to be is a fatigued front motor mount. This is also crazy, the dealer had the motor mount out and spent 3 1/2 hours (according to the jerk service manager) doing the M1324 service bulletin on it. They did have it out and it's obvious they shaved it, but looking at the mount it's also obvious that it's severely fatigued and needs to be replaced.

I'll post pics and the whole story as soon as I get the new motor mount installed, hopefully this weekend.

Anyhow, I'm back to wrenching. At least I'll know it was done right.

Oh, and I'll need to find a new dealer to purchase my next bike and any other Harley goodies i need from...
You know what I'm talking about. At least when I mess it up I know I messed it up and I can fix it and just cover it up and pass it down the road. I've have two total services done on this bike, three if you count the pre delivery prep. I have found two stripped screws, a stripped oil pan, and two over-torqued fasteners that caused damage they were so tight.

And, with how dirty that air cleaner is, I bet they over tightened/damaged at the 1k service, stripped it trying to get it off at the 5k, gave up and left it on and dirty. Now, it's dented and dirty and I'm prolly gonna have to replace the whole filter.

A week with the wife and babies on a beach with a tequila in my hand should work wonders. And, it's free! After a lifetime of stingy, my old man is treating my family and bro's family to some together time.

Life is good.

Chief Illiniwek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #26 (permalink)
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craiger View Post
Have a great trip !.....Carefull with the burnyerbumittos...

Old 11-16-2012, 08:36 AM   #27 (permalink)

Garage
I am very patient person, but that sort of stuff pushes it for me. The thought that someone would just f'up somebody else's ride and just leave it that way because they can is almost more than I can bear.

I'd have a 2-3 second contemplation of riding it through the front glass into the showroom, dumping on the floor and walking out with an over-the-shoulder, single-finger solute. I wouldn't do it, but thinking about it for a minute would make me feel better.

And, absolutely enjoy Mec-ci-co!! Have a libation or three for me.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:41 AM   #28 (permalink)
Retired citizen

Unless you ride in really dusty conditions I wouldn't oil the air filter. The head breathers will take care of that for ya !!!
Old 11-16-2012, 10:52 AM   #29 (permalink)
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasarms View Post
I am very patient person, but that sort of stuff pushes it for me. The thought that someone would just f'up somebody else's ride and just leave it that way because they can is almost more than I can bear.

I'd have a 2-3 second contemplation of riding it through the front glass into the showroom, dumping on the floor and walking out with an over-the-shoulder, single-finger solute. I wouldn't do it, but thinking about it for a minute would make me feel better.

That would be epic. But, then is have to go back in and buy another. I can't be without.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:06 AM   #30 (permalink)
Hit it she goes boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasarms View Post

I'm more of the "what goes around comes around type" I take comfort in the fact that the wrench that messed up your ride, will have some wrench mess up on his ride and leave em stranded..

"Give her full throttle till ya see God... then back off"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diezel View Post
Golds bike sounds like a 66' Chevelle. It's amazing.
GotGold is offline   Reply With Quote