Cold idle problem - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > General Service and Repair

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 04:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Retired citizen

Something about this OP's thread just doesn't sound right to me. '03 SE RK cold idle at 1800 rpm !... Sometimes but not always !... OP thinks it's the ETS ! ...
ETS has no effect on cold idle ! Cold idle is set by the ECM. ETS sends temp signal to the ECM which adjusts idle as temp rises. The ETS sends signals to the ECM after the engine is running and temps are rising. The ECM functions off the MAP program for cold start, the ETS has no input on that. The ETS can't get colder then cold !
Also the OP doesn't trust the local H-D dealer so isn't going to take his bike to the shop.
IMO ... The OP needs to get his bike into ANY dealer to get his bike hooked up to a Digital Tech (H-D only) computer to get a pro diagnostics run down.
Go to the doctor when you're sick ... not the local tattooist !
Old 11-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
Parts Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMIDTYS View Post
ETS has no effect on cold idle ! Cold idle is set by the ECM. ETS sends temp signal to the ECM which adjusts idle as temp rises.
Agreed but the idle won't go from the higher cold setting if the ecu never gets the signal that the engine is warm. The cold to warm idle mapping will only change when the ETS signal is received......no?

If it does it "sometimes" could the sensor lose its ground?

Agreed......bike needs to go to a dealer or at a minimum checked for codes.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Retired citizen

Right, if the ETS is stalled at a specific resistance then it'll send that signal to the ECM.
I've had faulty ETS out and bench tested them and they can read all over the place when they are faulty. Normally a faulty ETS will read perfect at the base resistance then as the temp goes up they will fall off or give no output at all and then with more temp go into a normal resistance output. The resulting symptom of that is a fluctuating idle !!!
Old 11-19-2012, 07:44 PM   #14 (permalink)

Thanks for your input guys. I was hoping it would be something simple that I could take care of my self. I've had problems with the local dealer on my other bike and wound up taking it to a trusted dealer 100 miles away.That dealer was sold a year ago and the trusted service manager and several of the mechanics left. I recently found the service manager at a dealership 75 miles away. I was hoping to avoid the trip and expence. Oh well things don't always work out the way you want.
flamerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:16 AM   #15 (permalink)
Retired citizen

Another thing is that there is no adjustment to make the engine idle at 1800 rpm, normal cold idle is 1300 - 1400 rpm and drops off from there as the engine warms up. If the engine is already warmed up and the engine is restarted it goes into cold idle mode briefly untill the ECM recieves the ETS signal then drops to warm idle mode 1000 - 1050 rpm.

So ... the 1800 rpm thing means there's something else wrong, maybe throttle cables or a faulty TPS. Digital Tech diagnostics time.

Southern CA and OP is 75 - 100 miles from a H-D dealer ? Hell I thought there were H-D dealers every 5 miles out there !!!
Old 11-20-2012, 07:31 PM   #16 (permalink)

I had a chance to check things out today. I uplugged the TPS and reconnected it a few times. I checked cables, looked for anything sticking or hanging up (found nothing). I started the bike and WOW 1500 RPM not 1800. In two minutes it was running at 1000 RPM. It has never done that. Must have been the connection on the TPS. We will see what happens tomorrow morning......
flamerod is offline   Reply With Quote