New here, starter? - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > General Service and Repair

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

New here, starter?

I have been creeping around this forum for awhile now and fixed my initial problem: compensator bolt backed all the out the outer primary cover. Got that all squared away. BTW don't order $hit from demonscycle. My primary cover showed up with only two of the four holes in the chain inspection cover plate threaded. But I digress. Now when I push the start switch I can hear the bendix go out but no spin or struggle and when I release I hear it return. My thought is that the when I pulled primary cover off the chain needed minor tensioning and because the compensator had been loose may the slack allowed the bike to crank (laboringly so) but with the nut torqued and chain properly tensioned (no CRs installed) there just isn't enough life to crank over? I know I need CRs and will do that ASAP. Also going to dry hump off a car battery tonight. Any other thoughts?
S3ven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3ven View Post
I have been creeping around this forum for awhile now and fixed my initial problem: compensator bolt backed all the out the outer primary cover. Got that all squared away. BTW don't order $hit from demonscycle. My primary cover showed up with only two of the four holes in the chain inspection cover plate threaded. But I digress. Now when I push the start switch I can hear the bendix go out but no spin or struggle and when I release I hear it return. My thought is that the when I pulled primary cover off the chain needed minor tensioning and because the compensator had been loose may the slack allowed the bike to crank (laboringly so) but with the nut torqued and chain properly tensioned (no CRs installed) there just isn't enough life to crank over? I know I need CRs and will do that ASAP. Also going to dry hump off a car battery tonight. Any other thoughts?
who are "you" ??,,, where are "you" from ?? what kind of things do "you" like ??

what im tryin ta say is "you" should do an intro !!!!!!
HopperHB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

See if the battery is properly charged first. If that checks out, a little more info would help- motor, mods (cams or head work to up the compression), etc.

It may be that the only purpose for your life is to serve as a warning to others.
nipplesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sorry, I just signed up and asked away. I'll fill in the other stuff when I get a chance. So we can be properly intro'd. So jumping didn't work, took primary cover off and hit the switch. Jack shaft was hitting primary cover. Fired right up with cover off. Question is: buy new cover from more reputable source or bore the damn thing?
Old 12-03-2012, 08:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
I'll help you hide the body

check ebay.

borrowed from gtrman66
Rules:
#1. Post #1: "New to Community"
#2. Buy a HD Service Manual, best $70 you'll spend
#3. Try the search function, we might have already answered your question
#4. Don't post classifieds until you meet the rules
#5. Don't bad mouth dealers until we know you, there are always 2 sides
misinlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipplesurfer View Post
See if the battery is properly charged first. If that checks out, a little more info would help- motor, mods (cams or head work to up the compression), etc.

It may be that the only purpose for your life is to serve as a warning to others.
battery charged-check
revtech 110" stock.
original owner let the compensator bolt/nut back off. when i bought it heard "box of rocks" sound a few times, but didn't know what i know now and did not check the comp nut (ignorance on my part) nut backed all the way to the point of cracking through the outer primary cover. That has all been worked out. thought all i needed was a cover. ordered one from demonscycle (mistake number 2) batting 1000 in the shoot myself in the wallet dept.

question i have is: with this application (revtech 110") will all the jackshaft bushing holes in primary need to be modded to fit the needs of any particular application or is there a specific cover that is "bolt up"
Old 12-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopperHB View Post
who are "you" ??,,, where are "you" from ?? what kind of things do "you" like ??

what im tryin ta say is "you" should do an intro !!!!!!
Hi there (insert heart warming emoticon here) my name is Steve. I live in the taxed to death state of CA. I like to serve the Lord (not usually apperent by my behavior or clothing, but real) I enjoy my children and wife. I like my work. don't know much about harley's but am eager to learn. I dislike having to take anything to a mech as i prefer to get my hands dirty and learn.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

I gotta admit, that was pretty well played...
Old 12-04-2012, 08:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Hit it she goes boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipewizard View Post
I gotta admit, that was pretty well played...
Yup... he's gonna do fine here.

OP I have found that trying to make something work, always comes back to bite ya...new or used part, toss the cover your not happy with and get another. Just my .02

"Give her full throttle till ya see God... then back off"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diezel View Post
Golds bike sounds like a 66' Chevelle. It's amazing.
GotGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
Retired citizen

The engine has nothing to do with the primary covers, the stock H-D covers will fit. Does your bike also have the Revtec trans or stock H-D trans ???
Cranking the starter with the primary cover off can bend the jackshaft, carefull doing that.