Yet another argument. - Page 5 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > Off Topic > The Gun Locker

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 04:25 PM   #41 (permalink)
Banned

Re: Yet another argument.

The reason the military teaches 2 to 3 round bursts is because of muzzle flip. The longer you shoot on fully auto the more the muzzles rises thus taking you off target. We were taught- when engaging a target- slow and smooth - but smooth is fast. That's why those raghead militants hardly ever hit their target is that they'll jump around a corner and empty a magazine mostly shooting up the sky or the side of a building. Occasionally getting lucky.

Sent from my LGL45C using Motorcycle.com Free App
USMCJAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:45 PM   #42 (permalink)
STAND AND FIGHT!

I see the the heart and core of this country fading away like smoke,

because people either do not know, or don't want to know,

what the US is about at it foundation, or they are the LIARS and CHEATS,

Obama and his Media LIARS AND CHEATS laugh at the idea that America

WAS EVER based on what we know OR DAMN SURE SHOULD KNOW it was and is based on.

Who would think that the old gun-guy poster motto would suddenly sound profound and prophetic.

A man with a rifle is a citizen. A man who has no rifle is a subject.

---

I may sound too intense. I don't see arguing with Dem/Libs at all useful.

Compulsive liars and cheats don't discuss. The disseminate, muddle, deny not just logic but reality,

and corrupt the discussion. That's why I can't believe our people don't have the reflex

to JUMP WITH A SHOCK when the LIARS AND CHEATS blatantly cross the line,

they are confusing and corrupting us.

---

My short history and my definition of America, the truth underlying your country.

Honorable guys with guns and no real govt, with a peaceful respect for society,

they enforced rights to the fruits of their labor, controlled their personal property,

presumed and enforced their own freedom of personal decision.

These men discussed forming a Govt.

IN YOUR WILDSET DREAMS is it even remotely possible men like this said,

"Let's form a govt and ask it to grant us the right to own weapons and protect our selves, our families and our property"

"Lets form a Govt and have it tell us what to do in an infinite number of ways at it's discretion."

"Lets form a Govt and become it's subjects."

and on and on relentless and insatiable.

If men like these would not have had this intention in the govt they created,

how dare the current LIARS AND CHEATS presume to be able to convince us that's really the way it happened.

Are they NUTS? Are we really paying attention? Do we jump with dismay when we should?

Some days you feel like TORQUE!
Some days you feel like HORSEPOWER!

Once you establish yourself as an eccentric,
you rarely have to explain your actions.

Something a guy at a HD parts counter told me 30 years ago,
"You know what I'd do with that bike if it was mine? RIDE IT! Nothin' else ."
Nathang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:11 PM   #43 (permalink)
Mississippi Cajun

Nathang, people such as us are paying attention, but we are the same people who, in general, failed to educate our kids and grandkids to the same ideals as we were raised, and that same generation is outshouting us, outnumbering us in an unbelievable wave. That same group that started with those of my age at graduation from high school splintered and some of them became the peaceniks and hippies and some became the Weathermen and SDSers and SNCCCers and when we relaxed after Nam ended, they continued using the Rules for Radicals and other Alinski garbage and are attempting to steal this country from us. Many of them are now members of Congress and the Senate. Hillary, most of the exhaulted Czars in the White House, and even Obama are accolytes of Alinski. When so many people stayed home and didn't vote in the November election, we took a huge step towards losing this country to those who do not share our ideals, and we need to get back in the race yesterday or we WILL completely lose it.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:07 PM   #44 (permalink)
'11 SuperGlide FXDC

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCJAX View Post
The reason the military teaches 2 to 3 round bursts is because of muzzle flip. The longer you shoot on fully auto the more the muzzles rises thus taking you off target. We were taught- when engaging a target- slow and smooth - but smooth is fast. That's why those raghead militants hardly ever hit their target is that they'll jump around a corner and empty a magazine mostly shooting up the sky or the side of a building. Occasionally getting lucky.

Exactly, So more rounds don't mean more kills. I'd be much more concerned with a shooter in a tower with a common dear rifle than some nut case with little or no training and multiple 30 round mags and a AR15.
Wrgiacona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:37 PM   #45 (permalink)
Banned

Re: Yet another argument.

Mental health of the gun owner is the real issue IMHO. All the shooters had MH issues. They're just trying to put a bandaid on the symptom.

USMCJAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:37 PM   #46 (permalink)
Semper Fi

Obama is going after Veterans next. Check out this link:

Exposed: Obama's Ploy to Disarm Veterans Obama's Deputized Doctors to Label Veterans Mentally Unfit to Own a Gun |
Old 02-01-2013, 01:41 AM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJason View Post
Damn! That is impressive! We had better not show Uncle Sam!

Still, faster rate of fire equals greater lethality. Otherwise, the military would still be using bolt action, etc. because there would be no benefit in changing.

Sent from my SCH-I500
The military does still use bolt action M40 rifles when lethality matters. High rate of fire just means high ammo consumption. In WWI it took approximately 1,000 rounds fired for each enemy casualty created. In WWII when the switch from bolt action to semiauto rifles occurred, it took on average 10,000 rounds to produce one enemy casualty. In Vietnam where every soldier carried an automatic weapon, it took an incredible 1,000,000 rounds per enemy casualty created. (By small arms fire. The majority of casualties were produced by artillery and bombs.)

On the other hand, Carlos Hathcock fired his bolt action M40 93 times in combat, and killed 93 enemy soldiers. That is a level of lethality unparalleled in military combat.

Artillery is the God of the battlefield. Most casualties are created by artillery fire. But you can't fight a war with just artillery. Its ammo supply trains are vulnerable to attack. Counter battery can destroy it in place. Mobile artillery is hunted by tanks. Etc. You have to be able to carry the fight at each level. Eventually, you don't control the ground until you have boots standing on it. Soldiers feel foolish just standing around with their hands in their pockets, so you give them rifles to hold. Rifles don't do much good on the modern battlefield, but they make the soldiers feel less helpless.
shopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #48 (permalink)
'11 SuperGlide FXDC

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shopdog View Post
Rifles don't do much good on the modern battlefield, but they make the soldiers feel less helpless.
Since the modern battlefield is an urban environment where there are way too many non-combatants for use of artillery, I'd have to beg to differ.
Wrgiacona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:59 PM   #49 (permalink)
Banned

Cool

Truth be told , nobody really NEEDS to hunt for basic sustenance these days.

Sadly , I'd bet most of the people who call themselves hunters these days don't eat everything they kill. Most of the people I hear talk about deer hunting give away their venison.

Back when I did hunt , I'd often come across a carcass left in the woods to rot , with just the head , antlers or hide gone.
pb68slab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #50 (permalink)
STAND AND FIGHT!

I don't hunt. IMHO Not even fishing or baseball is as slow as hunting.

I like to shoot, with my 45s I want to shoot 50 rounds 3 or 4 times a week,

50 rounds here and there with a rifle. As far as shotguns,

a guy who loves his shotgun needs to take it skeet shooting.

Some days you feel like TORQUE!
Some days you feel like HORSEPOWER!

Once you establish yourself as an eccentric,
you rarely have to explain your actions.

Something a guy at a HD parts counter told me 30 years ago,
"You know what I'd do with that bike if it was mine? RIDE IT! Nothin' else ."
Nathang is offline   Reply With Quote