New here with first Harley - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 04:07 AM Thread Starter

New here with first Harley

I am a 58 year old former auto mechanic. I started with a municipal fleet services department back in '77, and finally had to give it up 2 years ago do to a lot of medical issues. So now I'm retired/disabled. I started riding dirt bikes at age 8, got my first street bike at 16, and have been riding ever since. I've had about 40 bikes during that time, mostly Japanese, couple of vintage Triumphs and a Royal Enfield. I've always wanted a Harley, but never bought one. I finally remedied that problem when I bought a 2006 Sportster 1200 Low about a week ago. I love it. I live in Phoenix, AZ, and it was 114 degrees today. Supposed to hit 120 next week. So I won't be doing much if any riding for awhile, which is OK, because I want to learn about the bike (very different from Japanese bikes) and do all the maintenance. It currently has 12,000 miles on it and looks almost like new.

Problem I'm having is every maintenance video I watch on YouTube about the same procedure gives a different way to do it, and different specs on things like the primary chain slack, what oil to use and how much in the primary chain case, what the deflection on the belt should be, etc. And to make matters worse, the PO gave me a Haynes manual with it that contradicts a lot of what I see on YouTube. I was told to get the genuine H-D manual. It's awfully expensive, and the maintenance seems simple once you learn the proper way to do it. I am not a motorcycle mechanic, but I have been working on bikes all my life. I just need to get used the maintenance procedures on the Harley.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 05:40 AM
Swollen Member

Garage
Welcome from Virginia. My first Harley was a 97 Heritage that was pretty easy to figure out but the newer bikes have so much electronics and unfamiliar stuff. I went all out and got the all of the manuals. I got the Maintenance, Electronic Diagnostic, and the parts manual for mine. Although it is still new, 2013 and has not had many issues, the piece of mind I get from the manuals helps very much. I will go to the videos for ideas on how to do something but I rely on the manuals for the torques, specs, replacement parts etc. Sometimes I get turned around in the books and the videos really help clarify.

"Men can only be highly civilized while other men, inevitably less civilized, are there to guard them" - George Orwell
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 06:10 AM

Welcome from Kentucky. At age 62 I bought a 1200 Sporty. Had couple of Hondas and a Triumph Bonnieville in my youth but went many years without a bike till I got my Sporty. Now ride a Road Glide. I believe you will be very pleased with your Harley. Congrats!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 06:14 AM
Asylum Inmate

Garage
Welcome from Western Colorado.

The Harley Service Manual should always be the second purchase.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Diz Jr. likes this.

Don't be a Puss .. Plan on Collision 2018, "you're going unless you die" is the attitude to adopt!

USMC Sgt 79-85
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
Western Colorado PGR

2003 VRSCA
2016 FLTRXS

AMA PAC Supporter
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 06:19 AM

Garage
Junkyard Dog

I agree with the others, Buy the manual for your bike.
Yes they are expensive but worth every penny if you are going to do your own maintenance.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 06:20 AM

Welcome from New Mexico....congrats on your first but probably not last Harley....check eBay for the manuals...might find some decent prices on them...with your experience you should be good to go once you have the specs...now when it comes to what oils to use, you will get a hundred different answers here for all good and proven products....think it will just come down to a personal preference...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:28 AM
American

Welcome from Indiana.

2013 Ultra Classic
Midnight Pearl/Brilliant Silver Pearl
SE Pro Tuner, SE Ventilator AC
RC Component Mufflers
Fullsac Head Pipe
Dyno tuned
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:42 AM

Welcome from Mesa Arizona

Hi Neighbor

When the game of life throws you a curve
twist the wick and learn to swerve~~Wino

Grey Ghost is a 2001 Softail FXST S&S Super E w/ High flow filter, Python Pipes
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:47 AM
The Ride of Life

Garage
Welcome from California.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses. Geez, 8 responses overnight. Many forums I belong to it takes a week to get a response. This looks like a great forum. I won't be a newbie to Harleys for long. They are seriously different from Japanese bikes in a few ways. But I'm starting to pick up things already. I will get the genuine Harley manual.

GreyGhost are you doing much riding at the moment? I rode the bike home on U.S. 60 from Meridian Rd to Dobson and Warner at 2:00 PM. I almost died from the heat. Supposed to be 117 tomorrow. I am divorced, my kids are grown, so I turned my air conditioned living room into a bike room. Unfortunately I cannot get the Sportster in there, because of the size of the entry way. It's too long. I have 3 bikes stored in there now. It took me an hour to get my Kawasaki Vulcan 750 through the door, but unless I sell it ( I have put over 100,000 miles on it) it and the other bikes will probably spend the rest of my life in there and my kids will eventually wind up with them. I removed the tanks, drained out all the ethanol gas, drained the carbs, put things back together, and put a gallon of non ethanol TruFuel in each one, for long term storage. I will start them up and warm them up every couple of weeks to prevent deterioration. Now that I have the Sportster, I can't see wanting to ride anything else. Sorry about all the rambling. Just super exited about the new (to me) bike. Jerry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode