1979 SPORTSTER oil tank, hot and cold while running - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

1979 SPORTSTER oil tank, hot and cold while running

Hi, On my 1979 Sportster I bought from my bud , I started checking all out and I found that when the engine is at normal operation temperature the left (drivers) side of the oil tank is HOT, on the fill side, right side it is absolutely cool. What is up with that. My vent line goes to the right side top near the filler and the return is going to the top left forward of tank. The hoses are different sizes which makes me think this is normal, but why should it be blazing on one side and very cool on the other. It looks to me as though the feed is taking in the return as soon as it re enters the tank, not getting a chance to circulate properly with the rest of the oil in the tank. It makes no sense to me. Touching the right side of tank you wouldn't think the engine was even run?
Thanks all.

Last edited by jimlisa; 11-17-2016 at 10:23 PM. Reason: incomplete model year
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 06:45 AM

Check that the hoses are connected to the proper points on the tank. Maybe someone re-routed the hoses incorrectly.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 06:49 AM

I think the feed and return lines are both near the bottom of tank, and the vent is at the top. Check that someone hasn't swapped something.
Have a look at the parts breakdown for diagrams.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 12:50 PM

Garage
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Bobf, I have it exactly as you outlined it. I have trace all the hoses to make sure the feed is clear, the pump is gushing w/o the pressure sensor sensor attached and the vent attached to the top. When it runs you can pull the vent, suck on it anything bur I did notice a pulse which I suspect is from crankcase pressure? I'm gonna read a few recommended url's above but it just seems assonine that the oil doesnt circulate thru out the tank enough, or at all while. The return is working. Now heres what blows my mind is that the left side of the tank is very hot and the right side is as cool as when started. It's like someone is playing a joke on me.! lol

Thanks for the input everyone
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 08:55 AM

OK, having had a better look at the tank, both the feed and return are on the same side, so unless you go ride it and "stir" up the tank that side will be much hotter than the other side. If you ride it around and "stir" up the oil, the tank will be much more even in temperature.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Bobf, .and all. Ya when the weather breaks,....next year I'll take her out for a spin. It's gotta be something like that. I was gonna look in the tank with a scope and see if all is well, but what could that show me. It's sending and returning. It's probably normal for the bike.......you're probably right. Thanks
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Maybe I won't wait till nest year. oh ya, New Years coming so it will be next year! Thats what I meant. lol .
Hey Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode