Leaking oil threw breather - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Oil and Filters

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2009, 03:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Leaking oil threw breather

My Bike is leaking alot of oil threw the breather. What could be the cause for that and how can I fix it?
Anthonyamastr52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

well, what motor, year and model of bike?

evo motors vent the case through the breather. If you pullout your air filter, you should have an oily film on the mounting plate and around the rim of the filter.
ironhead bobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Its an evo engine. The year im not sure of its a chopper I bought it built already so not sure of the year all i know itrs from the 90's
Anthonyamastr52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

try cleaning or replacing your air filter, may just be clogged and/or wore out. otherwise, may be a problem with the oil system...old ironhead motors were notorius for all of the oil in the bag draining down into the crankcase if you left them sitting for too long, especially if you had too much oil on the bag. I understand you have an evo rather than an ironhead, but, could have a problem still.
ironhead bobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Depending on how/if the engine was rebuilt, there's ALOT of reasons that could happen.

Blocked return holes.

Partially restricted pushrod tubes.

Improper oil pump timing.

Improper head venting.

Excessive blow-by due to worn rings.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Luke 22:36

Garage
Also, one other thing that can cause it, if none of the above fixes your problem.

Ive had the stock plastic crankcase breather valve shell out and cause excessive oil blowby thru the breather.

S&S makes a steel replacement one.

http://www.sscycle.com/catalog/50/ca...iew.php?id=254
Best 1/4 MPH 108.59
Kainam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
2007 Ultra Classic

Bad umbrella valve issue or valfes replaced with the incorrect sealing space for the umbrella.
Dinero No Mas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Oil Leaking through air filter

Hi I have a 2003 Ultra Classic. I notice when I am running 70mph on the highway for awhile, oil will blow out of my air filter. Last week, I had my pump adjusted, but the oil still blows out at higher speeds. This didn't start until I had my Cam chain tensioner adjusted and they put in some adjustable push rods so they would not have to go into the top end. Ever since then I'm getting blow-back. This is a twin-cam engine. Does anyone know what could be happening? Or what can I look at?
bacslc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have read all of these but I have one question,
I've been told from my local Harley Dealer Mechs. that my after market pipes are causing my blow back into my air filter , and the remedy is to replace the jets with bigger ones.
Now with that said how many of you have after market pipes? and is this a true statement?
basscatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have a hard time believing that one...
If its a mid 90's Evo, some oil will drip out the air cleaner due to the vent dumping in there. If all the points noted above are good (rings-breather valve-etc), you'll have to live with it or reroute your vent tube to under the bike and put a filter on the end of it. You may still get drips but it won't be on the cases...
Rock Slide is offline   Reply With Quote