103 Stage II or stage III - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Performance

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2011, 11:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
2010 Ultra Classic

103 Stage II or stage III

I want to do the 103 upgrade and would like to hear some input from those that have a opinion on either or. I ride alot of 2 up and want some more get up and go. When I crack the throttle I want it to move. I dont ride at high numbers alot and a pipe dream would be a cam that comes on at 2 and holds to at least 5. The cost difference installed is only about $300.00 more for the stage 3 which leaves me leaning towards the stage 3 however I am not sure of the 259E cam. I want a good came that comes on early but also pulls towards the upper end as well. I currenlt have Rinehart true duals a Arlen Ness stage 2 air cleaner and just purchased a thunder-max. I have decided to stay with screamin eagle parts only because of my extended warranty and the dealer agreeing to honor the extended warranty if I have the work done there. The best bone is 30 percent off labor and 20 percent off parts for 2 more weeks. Thanks for any input you have
Rinehart True Duals
Arlen Ness stage II A/C
ThunderMax
Custom Map

Painted Inner Fairing
Time4fun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2011, 11:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Garage
Have you looked at the SE 255 cams? Might be a better choice from your description. They are torque cams and come on fairly early and hold to about 5k. The 259's will make more power up on top though.
Woods 777 cams
Vance & Hines Black Radius Shots
Power Commander V w/ auto tuner
Oil bud cooler
2005 Deluxe blue & white(hers)
Operating Engineers Local 12
TinyPeckerwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2011, 11:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
2010 Ultra Classic

Yes I have seen them my only concern with the 255's is if they cut out too early, I see that you have them. What is your experience and what kind of numbers do you have with yours?
Rinehart True Duals
Arlen Ness stage II A/C
ThunderMax
Custom Map

Painted Inner Fairing
Old 02-25-2011, 08:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

I think you would be fine with the SE Stage III package. It's a good kit. I have that kit in my Street Glide except used a SE 211 cam in place of the 259E.

2013 H-D Street Glide
2013 Victory Vision
2013 Victory Cross Country
big6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2011, 09:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time4fun View Post
Yes I have seen them my only concern with the 255's is if they cut out too early, I see that you have them. What is your experience and what kind of numbers do you have with yours?
I have not had my bike dyno tuned yet. I am waiting to get a tuner. I would guess numbers are around 85hp and 100ftlbs. I am good with the cams, they work decent for 99% of my riding. I like that they pull strong down low. They are fine up to around 5k. I ultimately would like to get to 100hp. I don't think that will happen with the 255's. But overall I am not unhappy with the cams.
Woods 777 cams
Vance & Hines Black Radius Shots
Power Commander V w/ auto tuner
Oil bud cooler
2005 Deluxe blue & white(hers)
Operating Engineers Local 12
TinyPeckerwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2011, 05:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

I added the Stg 3 kit to my FLSTF a few weeks ago. Been doing some "smartune"ing with the SERT. It seems to be running great. Couldn't be more pleased.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
2010 Ultra Classic

Thanks for the responses..

Big 6 - Curious why the 211 cam

Tiny - great input, I would definately like to get into the 100's right now with just the pipes and a/c im at 82 and 87 so i am not sure the 255's would provide me anything except some throttle response.

Pa - Thanks

Wonder it there is anyone else out there with a bagger with these kits with some more input
Rinehart True Duals
Arlen Ness stage II A/C
ThunderMax
Custom Map

Painted Inner Fairing
Old 02-25-2011, 10:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time4fun View Post
Thanks for the responses..

Big 6 - Curious why the 211 cam

Tiny - great input, I would definately like to get into the 100's right now with just the pipes and a/c im at 82 and 87 so i am not sure the 255's would provide me anything except some throttle response.

Pa - Thanks

Wonder it there is anyone else out there with a bagger with these kits with some more input
The SE 211 just happened to be a better match for my specific components... The guy that did my engine work was in a position to try 3 different cams and the 211 worked best... I really didn't buy a "kit"....I just said "do what it takes."

2013 H-D Street Glide
2013 Victory Vision
Old 02-28-2011, 05:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
U.S. Marine

I have the 103" stage III in my '10 FLHTC. I like the engine combo a lot. I wasn't happy at first cause I was hoping for 105hp and it made 100hp and 101ft lbs of tq. (I have the dyno sheet in my photo gallery.)

BUT for $900 more you can get the 103" stage IV engine. Check out the screamin eagle race parts catalog for the details!!

If you're really on a budget, my dad put SE-255 cams in his 96" '07 FLHTCU and that made 84hp and 94ft lbs of tq with V&H pro pipe, arlen ness big sucker and a good tune!

2010 FLHTC, 103" Twin Cam, Stock Heads, SE-259E cams, SE 10.5:1 forged pistions, SE Race Tuner, Zipper's Maxflow air intake, D&D 2:1 Fat Cat
kyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2011, 09:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle View Post
I have the 103" stage III in my '10 FLHTC. I like the engine combo a lot. I wasn't happy at first cause I was hoping for 105hp and it made 100hp and 101ft lbs of tq. (I have the dyno sheet in my photo gallery.)
I think your results looks really good actually.. over 86ftlbs torque from 2500rpms to forever it hard to beat...really flat.... 101 hp is more than HD shows on their graph for that kit...looks like 96-97 HP.... I'd be happy!

2013 H-D Street Glide
2013 Victory Vision

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.