Sportster not starting - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Sportster not starting

I've been reading different posts on here but can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for. I have an 01 sportster 1200 which has been sitting since November. I had the tank and back fender off over the winter to paint it. When getting it ready for spring I began having issues. It cranks but will not start. I have put new spark plugs in (which have a good spark), new battery. I took the carb apart and gave it a thourough cleaning and replaced the fuel line and vacuum lines. There is fuel getting to the carb. Still the same problem after each of these. It will just crank and crank but won't actually start. A small spray of starting fluid got it to fire but it died after a couple of seconds. If anyone has any advice at what to look at next I'd greatly appreciate it. I've been working on this for a week and it's driving me nuts. Thanks. (Sorry for the long post)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Also there is fresh gas in the tank
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 09:31 PM
Frozen Member

Using the choke? After trying to start it pull your plugs and see if theyre wet, might be flooding it, might need new plugs too. Most likely carb related though. Pull your carb off and remove the bowl and inspect the needle valve and seat for excessive varnishing or any sign of particulate. When gas evaporates it usually leaves some small solids. Spray out that area w/ carb cleaner and blow out w/ air, check the boot or manifold real good for cracks and a good seal.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:24 AM
Swollen Member

Garage
Do you have an inline fuel filter? Just asking, maybe with the tank off you knocked around some corrosion and subsequently clogged carb even though you just cleaned it. Fuel petcock? Simple but that snake has bitten me before. The new vacuum lines, any chance one is capped that shouldn't be?

"Men can only be highly civilized while other men, inevitably less civilized, are there to guard them" - George Orwell
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:53 AM

Garage
If the engine starts with starting fluid it would seem the carb is not allowing fuel or enough fuel to start the bike. Do you have a good stream or fuel form the fuel pump nozzle when giving it throttle? There is a little port in the bottom of the float bowl that feeds the fuel pump and it may be clogged. Recheck your float level

Live Free Ride Hard. Nothing is certain. No guarantees.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:24 AM

You say fuel is getting to carburetor...have you pulled the float bowl and observer fuel in there? or are you just pulling the hose and finding fuel there.

It's got spark, and with starting fluid it fires, so it's not getting gas. Make sure the vacuum line to the petcock is connected, pull float bowl and make sure gas is in the float bowl.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:05 PM

Garage
You painted the tank, make sure the vent tube is not blocked with paint or tape, otherwise the fuel will not flow properly.
Check the petcock screen to see if it is clogged.

Ronnie's Harley-Davidson's 2001 XL SPORTSTER 1200 SPORT (CH) | CARBURETOR ASSEMBLY Parts List

Check the accelerator pump for cracks. #39
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

I took the bowl off and it has fuel in it. Also when giving it throttle fuel shoots out of the fuel pump nozzle. After attempting to fire it I removed the plugs and they are dry. If the fuel pump of the carb is shooting fuel but not starting would you not expect the plugs to be wet with unburned fuel? Is it possible that when I re assembled the carb I put the fuel mixture screw at an incorrect depth? I did't record what it was set at but I have it at 2 turns out from al the way set
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 03:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilk View Post
I took the bowl off and it has fuel in it. Also when giving it throttle fuel shoots out of the fuel pump nozzle. After attempting to fire it I removed the plugs and they are dry. If the fuel pump of the carb is shooting fuel but not starting would you not expect the plugs to be wet with unburned fuel? Is it possible that when I re assembled the carb I put the fuel mixture screw at an incorrect depth? I did't record what it was set at but I have it at 2 turns out from al the way set
2 1/2 is usually where to start but i would think it would start at 2 turns. Check your carb jet needle piston to see if it rises when turning it over and giving it throttle. If there is a problem with vaccum or the boot is leaking it may be the cause

Live Free Ride Hard. Nothing is certain. No guarantees.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode