S&S hl2t lifters worth it? - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Performance

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 05:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
KING OF THE ROAD

S&S hl2t lifters worth it?

installing a 95" kit w/ 37G cam S&S adjustable push rods. 35,000miles on the 88". Im thinking of doing lifters with the kit. I saw the S&S lifters with the HL2T spacers and am woundering if its worth it.
S&S #33-5351
I have a set of Crain Cams 10530 lifters for a Chevy and from all told there the same as there HD lifters.
100.89hp 107ftlbs
Mustang seat
NRA lifer
http://s419.photobucket.com/albums/p...ord7379trucks/
Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

I wouldn't do a cam job, WITHOUT replacing the lifters.

You're correct, Crane tappets are the same thing, and people have used them. The bore is the same. They're (Crane) made by Hylift-Johnson, (Now Topline Automotive Engineering) who used to also make HD's lifters, but no longer do.

The S&S tappets are great, but if you're not going to be redlining/racing the bike, anti-bottoming (Travel Limiters) features are a bit overkill, IMHO. OEMs will work and are fine. S&S tappets would work fine.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
KING OF THE ROAD

ok thanks ill put the crains in as is. the cams were done 5000 miles ago but are fine. I think your suppose to soak the new lifters in oil for a wile 1st right?
I got these Crain lifters for free. ordered a set for a 4.3L V6 and they sent me a v8 set by mistake. that was 6 years ago. lifters are fine. they are covered in a machining oil.
post 499
100.89hp 107ftlbs
Mustang seat
NRA lifer
Old 03-11-2012, 06:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

People do the tappets 2 ways.

1.) Soak in oil over night, then adjust, allowing time to bleed down.

2.) Install dry, adjustmemtn is easier, then start engine until oil pressure goes up, shut off, let sit, and they'll fill on their own.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
nitro freak

the limiters are only needed in high lift,big spring pressure & high RPM applications.I dont think theres any reason to replace lifters with 5K on them.the whole"always replace lifters when installing a cam" thing comes from automotive cams & flat (non roller)tappets,roller tappets are a whole different ball game.if you install them without soaking,crank motor with starter (with plugs out) in 5 second intervels untill oil light goes out,then 4 more times
Old 03-11-2012, 07:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
KING OF THE ROAD

lifters have 35,000 on them cam has 5000
100.89hp 107ftlbs
Mustang seat
NRA lifer
Old 03-11-2012, 09:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Replace them. HD recommends 25K replacement.

Again....not placing tappets with 35K on new cams is an issue to me. I think Kirby read your original post as the tappets ALSO having only 5K, in which my reply would have been the same as his as well: No need. I read it the same way the first time, then read it again, hence my recommendation.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
nitro freak

@ 35K,replace them,I must have read wrong,I thought it was 5K on lifters
Old 03-27-2012, 05:46 AM   #9 (permalink)

S&S lifters are our choice here as of recent times, as the H-D "C" lifter is of compromised quality.
We stocked the "B"s for almost 10 years, but can't look our client's in the eye, and reccomend that they use the Harley lifter anymore.
Too bad, as the pricing was good on those.
Scott
Old 03-27-2012, 08:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

I always wondered WHY HD recommends replacing their tappets at 25K, yet the same tappet is in chevy small blocks, and last much longer.....

Perhaps now that Hylift-Johnson no longer makes then, that may be part of the issue???