S&S cams ? - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Performance

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 11:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

S&S cams ?

Im looking for some input on what would be a good choise in a S&S cam for my 80ci 95 FXSTC. Im looking for more power when riding 2 up but want one thats easy to start and one that I done have to change out the value springs.Can anyone tell me some good options?Thanks
Whiteriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

does it have to be s&s.?? there are many cam makers out there with a bolt in cam typicaly .510lift and under for the evo... you still have a light bike for a harley so your options for cams are pretty good but it comes down to where you want your power to be....i ran an se-11 (bolt in harley cam) with 10.2:1 pistons started just fine everytime....made good power and good tq 85 and 80 with a set of SE slip ons....personaly if you like to have power from 2000 to redline thats the cam i recommend but if you dont plan on changing compression alittle then this cam may not suit your needs...the later you close the intake valve the more compression will be bled off and you will start to lose some low end power along with throttle response...if keep stock compression pistons i would go with the se-3 or se-4 pretty clos to the same cam...with the exception of .002 lift (not much you'd never see the difference) and 2 degrees of overlap...the se-3 giving alittle more overlap and should run good in the center of your rpm range if you have a stock 5200 redline...SE cams can be found and are pretty much the cheapest price for a cam that ive seen unless you find a killer deal...but if insisting on S&S im only seeing one cam that is a bolt in and thats the 510 cam which i would still go with the SE cam over this cam...but we can speculate what would work good with you all day but what it comes down to is what you have done to your bike now...where do you want your power to be, how much power do you want, and how much do you want to spend...are you going to install the cam yourself..?
Old 04-06-2012, 06:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

The S&S .510's will work well.
May want to toss a 1.900" intake valve in there while the heads are off.
Scott

..............as well as getting the compression up to at least to 9.5.

Last edited by Hillsidecycleco; 04-10-2012 at 05:54 AM.
Hillsidecycleco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
nitro freak

if your sticking with stock compresion,look @ a ANDREWS ev13
Old 04-10-2012, 05:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

I agree with Kirby.
That would be a good plug/play only cam.
Scott
Old 04-13-2012, 10:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Cams ??????

My 95 FXSTC with the 80 Cu. Is equipt with the Screaming Eagle package and runs good but still needs that extra power when Ive got a rider on the back. I live it the mountains of Colorado so pulling some of the passes with a rider behind me really drags down the power . Im looking for an inexpensive fix , but do I need to do the values along with a new cam to get the power I need? If so what would price range would it be if I did the top and cam? Im new to this and would really like some help planning out a good fix. Thanks for any info you can give me.
Whiteriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

well..how many miles do you have on the bike?
personaly i would pop the valves out and lap them in just to see how they look, make sure you are making a good even seal all the way around all 4 valves, stock valves and valve train is good for 6k rpms, so no need to spend the money on replacing parts unless they are bad or you have increased spring pressure (this pertains to the pushrods) or plan to push more the 6k rpm,
Old 04-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

A few years ago. I did an ignition, S&S Super E and an EV27 on my 99 FXSTC. I was pretty impressed with the results.

Sent from my LG-VS700 using Motorcycle.com App
72camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Just Ride

Use the Andrews EV 27. The best bolt in cam for your situation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Motorcycle.com Free App
2010 FLTRX Wimmer Better Sucker,Stage 1,Xied's,no cat,fatstick with open end cap. 2004 Dyna Lowrider Harley Heavy Breather,Stage 1,Screaming Eagle mufflers.1996 FXDS-CONV S&S E.Screaming Eagle ignition,V&H Short shots. 1978 Strokershovel Lowrider 100 inches. 1974 Suzuki GT750 Lemans (Water Buffalo)
FritzHD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by FritzHD View Post
Use the Andrews EV 27. The best bolt in cam for your situation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Motorcycle.com Free App
the best, hows that...im curious how everyone claims the ev 27 can beat out the SE-4 from harley

specs are near identical as a bolt in cam you would never see the difference from one bike to another until you get critical with the motor, where intake track and exhaust tuning come into play and even then you may not ever see the difference,

ev 27:
intake opens 20 closes 36, 236 duration
exhaust opens 44 closes 16, 240 duration
.495 lift 36 overlap and 101 LSA

SE-4
intake opens 20 closes 36, 236 duration
exhaust opens 46 closes 14, 240 duration
.505 lift 34 overlap and 102 LSA

you would never see a difference on a street motor

and if you can find one laying around the SE-3 is identical in everyway to the ev 27 but the SE-3 has .503 lift