120R or 103 Stage IV? - Page 4 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Performance

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 02:42 PM   #31 (permalink)
Millwright

The 120R will cost U another grand or so for intake stuff and there is more than that, like your computer programs need attention so a tuner is in order, it (SE Tuner) comes with the Street Stage IV as does the 58mm throttle body, bigger injectors and pistons, rings, barrels, CNC sleeper heads, clutch spring and some other odds and ends... U should be able to get a price on the labor and get a real quote for ALL the stuff that U will need just to get it up and running. U can sell all the parts U remove for the stage IV for a grand, remember, heads, throttle body are worth alot for porting/polishing and boring for future builds.
I actually went through the numbers and it was between $1200 and $2000 depending on the way I went with parts for the 120R and the amount of labor I was willing to do myself on the Stage IV kit.
There are a couple of different kits, and I went with the Race Stage IV vs the Street Stage IV. More stuff with the Race version and I think more cost as well.
The 103 I have is faster than the CVO 110 RG's. Now spend money and that 110 will jump better.
If I had more than the 23K miles on the bike, say 75K, I might look harder at the 120R and do a motor change, if, I still loved the bike like I do now!

103" w/Race Kit,Stage IV 117HP 111TQ
SE 259E Cams
SE Heavy Breather AC (Scott's modified)
SE Race Tuner
V&H Power Duals & Hi Outputs
SE CNC Heads 10.62/1 w/SE 58mm TB
John Scott port matching
Renegade Racine wheels. 21x3.5/ 17x6.25
http://www.harley-davidsonforums.com...845-petew.html
petew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 12:28 AM   #32 (permalink)
Seņor Member

Location: Veracruz, Ver. Mexico (I rarely take off my flack jacket. ;-)
Pete: I ran the numbers and with selling my "old" engine they were pretty close.
I have it sold for 3k so that cuts the cost to almost half with me doing the labor.
I figured that my mechanical abilities are better suited for a swap than they are for opening up a perfectly good engine.
Anyway, not much progress to date on the project. I got sent back to Africa. Meanwhile, the 120r is being utilized for a coffee table in my den.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00833.JPG (3.60 MB, 34 views)

2010, FLTRX W/ SE 120R.

Welcome to the forum. One of the best places on Al Gores interweb.
If you are new, why not mosey on over to the New Member section and tell us a little bit about yourself and your bike.

IBA#44072

Last edited by Vettster; 11-24-2012 at 03:10 AM.
Vettster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 10:17 AM   #33 (permalink)

We recently sent a 2010 FLHX/120R back home to Rhode Island.
Our heads, 66mm S&S Throttle Hog, Wood 9F cams, Borezilla.
Hits like a freight train to the point that on throttle snaps only, w/o fanning the clutch lever, it has the f/tire waaaaaaaaaaay up.
144 hp/140 ft/lbs, SAE, striking big torque VERY quickly, and carries it out the back door.
Scott
Old 11-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #34 (permalink)

Vettster,
Been wondering if you had done the 120R project or not and now see it has been delayed a bit. Had posted earlier I went with the JIMS120 plus other "little items" and this set up is in my Dyna Super Glide Custom. I would venture that your 120R performance wise would be at the same level I am at and for me anyway, it is more than you can ever need. Don't fully understand cams and things like that but the builder explained to me that mine is set up to come on very strong at just slightly below 3000rpm. I don't hammer my bike, never opened up full throttle in any gear to date and don't think I want to do so. Third gear w/ moderate throttle is pretty much putting you into orbit and fourth and fifth will pull just as strong it seems. About the only negative thing I can say about my 120 set up is that in first gear it wants to lope somewhat and it definitely is on the loud side w/ V&H's straight shot system. Hey, it's a Harley and supposed to be loud isn't it?? Go for it if you want the ride of your life and stay safe.
Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 12:18 AM   #35 (permalink)
Seņor Member

Clutch?

OK so what is everyone running for clutches on these big inch engines?
I have the HD race clutch ready to go in but am thinking about giving the new variable pressure clutch from HD a try.
Anybody have any experience with it?

2010, FLTRX W/ SE 120R.

If you are new, why not mosey on over to the New Member section and tell us a little bit about yourself and your bike.

IBA#44072
Old 12-15-2012, 08:28 AM   #36 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettster View Post
OK so what is everyone running for clutches on these big inch engines?
I have the HD race clutch ready to go in but am thinking about giving the new variable pressure clutch from HD a try.
Anybody have any experience with it?
In my 113 I running the SE racing clutch but I'm having problems with it slipping. Hot days and really twisting on the throttle makes it slip. I'm almost thinking maybe the syn oil is too slick for it. Sturgis really sucked. Stop and go traffic sucks as the clutch is a really stiff pull on the lever. Severe arm pump. Need an easy pull clutch upgrade for sure...
Old 12-15-2012, 01:09 PM   #37 (permalink)

Vettster,
I am running the HD race clutch and had the option to go w/ variable pressure clutch, but was told to try the race clutch and if not to my liking would switch out. So far I don't have any problems with it and no slipping when cranking on it that I can tell. Lever squeeze effort might be a bit more than original, but not so much to be a problem. Dealer tech did use a lube and can't remember the brand, but believe it is Royal Purple brand?? So far so good. Hurry up and get that "thing" on the road!!
Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 07:04 PM   #38 (permalink)
Seņor Member

Instructor,
Iīm trying to get it together. But, between work and other stuff, (My Son just graduated from college and <i had to make a trip up to Wyoming I just havenīt had any time.
Spent the last 2 days riding here taking advantage of all the good weather.

I bought a VP clutch when I was up in the States so if the Race Clutch is too stiff, will try it.

2010, FLTRX W/ SE 120R.

IBA#44072
Old 02-08-2013, 06:02 PM   #39 (permalink)

how long did it take you to get your 120
tharrah88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.