Started my engine build today. - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Performance

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 07:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Started my engine build today.

I wanted to build the motor in my Ultra but I am not one of the guys with unlimited funds . So my local indie shop owner and I made a list of everything I might need and the cost . I had been saving my pennies for a little over a year now and finaly ordered everything . I figured I could wait and order some of the parts after dissasembly but I didnt want to skimp on a $10 part and it cost me a thousand later . I didnt want a bunch of down time either. I got my heads,port work, cams, pistons ,and cylinders bored through Flora Heads in Mishiwaka Indiana. Got everything Thursday and started the build today and hope to get it done ( without rushing ) in a few days . My bike already had a flat top 95" kit but I bought different heads and cylinders so I could send them in and keep riding .
OneLugLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Luke 22:36

Garage
Nice, you staying at 95"?
Best 1/4 MPH 108.59
Kainam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Garage
Yes I'm sticking with a 95. I thought about going to a 106 but I have to try and stick to my budget. I might in time go bigger but the money for a stroker crank is out of the question for now.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

98" is a nice bump, while your in.
Not just in inches, but bore/stroke ratio as well.
Scott
Old 09-29-2012, 05:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Garage
The shop where I get all my help parts from said the same thing and I am sure that you are both right but I just cant bring myself to boring the stock cylinders that far. I know that a lot of people are having good luck with going that far but I am one of those people that am always wondering if I remembered to tighten this or tourqe that and for thousands of miles and I would lose what little hair that i have left thinking I went to far on the bore. Thanks for the advice though.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Acta Non Verba

Good luck with your build. Wish I had the time/money to do one this winter.

If boring the cylinders is a method for loosing your hair, I might try it. I've been trying to talk that stuff off my head for the last decade with no luck.... :
Old 09-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelrick View Post
Good luck with your build. Wish I had the time/money to do one this winter.

If boring the cylinders is a method for loosing your hair, I might try it. I've been trying to talk that stuff off my head for the last decade with no luck.... :
I ment that the worring about boring the cylinders that thin would make me pull my hair out.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Acta Non Verba

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLugLarry View Post
I ment that the worring about boring the cylinders that thin would make me pull my hair out.
Oh, never mind then, that sounds painfully and it would just grow back.

But, still good luck with the engine build!
Old 10-02-2012, 08:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLugLarry View Post
The shop where I get all my help parts from said the same thing and I am sure that you are both right but I just cant bring myself to boring the stock cylinders that far. I know that a lot of people are having good luck with going that far but I am one of those people that am always wondering if I remembered to tighten this or tourqe that and for thousands of miles and I would lose what little hair that i have left thinking I went to far on the bore. Thanks for the advice though.

No worries whatsoever with that extra bore size.
We have been doing it here since 2007.
88-98", and 96-107".
Here in the States, Europe, and Canada, are currently running those, and enjoying them, from us.
Scott
Old 10-19-2012, 11:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

Garage
I know it has been a few weeks but I have been riding the bike a few weeks and I am in love with it. after breaking it in for a few miles I have been having some fun with it and love the feeling of pulling power wheelies on a dresser.