Performance Shovelhead - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Performance

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 06:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Performance Shovelhead

About Me
A little about myself and then onto the post. I'm 24 years old and have grown up in small Harley shops my entire life. I've served my time in the Marine Corps Infantry and now have landed a job being an engineer at John Deere. I built my 95" Dyna in 09 and have been riding it for 30k miles. It's time for me to build my 74" Shovel.

About My Build
First off, I'm not looking for somebody to hand over their "build sheet" so I can copy their bike. I'm looking for knowledge from those who have come before me.

My endstate is a very fast, some what street-able Shovel. This will not be my daily rider and due to the frame design/riding position, I would not be taking this on any trips over 100 miles. I will almost be laying down in a modified "board track race" position. So longevity of the motor is not crucial, maybe rebuild every 20-30k

I've done a bored bike and would like to stroke the motor. I'm pretty set on stroking the motor, either out to 5" or possibly playing around and de-stroking it and seeing how fast I can spin this thing.....maybe 8k rpm? Thoughts?

I've been doing quite a bit of reading, mainly "What fits What on HD" by Mike Arman and Kurt Heinrichs. I haven't found much on the inter-webs for building stroker shovels. I feel this is due to the main stream of the easy "big bore" kit.

I didn't mean to write a book, but if you've stuck around this long, could I get your input?
oldenburgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Addicted Since 2010

Garage
You should really say that stuff in the intro section so more people see it, just a common courtesy ya know.
Their are some good engine guys on here that'll chime in and help don't worry.

"Mr. Lahey is this you talking or the liquor?"

"Randy...(takes a swig)...I am the Liquor!!!"
XL1200R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm new to the forum scene, thanks for the input.
oldenburgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenburgd View Post
About Me
A little about myself and then onto the post. I'm 24 years old and have grown up in small Harley shops my entire life. I've served my time in the Marine Corps Infantry and now have landed a job being an engineer at John Deere. I built my 95" Dyna in 09 and have been riding it for 30k miles. It's time for me to build my 74" Shovel.

About My Build
First off, I'm not looking for somebody to hand over their "build sheet" so I can copy their bike. I'm looking for knowledge from those who have come before me.

My endstate is a very fast, some what street-able Shovel. This will not be my daily rider and due to the frame design/riding position, I would not be taking this on any trips over 100 miles. I will almost be laying down in a modified "board track race" position. So longevity of the motor is not crucial, maybe rebuild every 20-30k

I've done a bored bike and would like to stroke the motor. I'm pretty set on stroking the motor, either out to 5" or possibly playing around and de-stroking it and seeing how fast I can spin this thing.....maybe 8k rpm? Thoughts?

I've been doing quite a bit of reading, mainly "What fits What on HD" by Mike Arman and Kurt Heinrichs. I haven't found much on the inter-webs for building stroker shovels. I feel this is due to the main stream of the easy "big bore" kit.

I didn't mean to write a book, but if you've stuck around this long, could I get your input?
A 103" Shovel, set up correctly, will produce great power, and last at least those miles, with decent care.
You won't spool a 5" arm to 8,000 rpms though, as the cylinder head, for one will not allow, and then the pure physical limitations of the engine design.
Scott