Screamin' Eagle stage 1 kit - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
pcamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 139
Images: 3
Garage
Screamin' Eagle stage 1 kit

Just want to be sure not to screw anything up.
I am going to install the stage 1 air cleaner kit
First the instructions say to remove the Maxi Fuse. ?
Then it warns that the ECM has to be recalibrated.
Does a fuelpack or vied do the same thing, or do I still need to recalibrate the ECM.
The bike is a 2012 FLD 103. With a Vance&Hynes 2 into 1
muffler.
I know this has been asked and answered just want to double check thanks

Take offs are optional. Landings are mandatory.
2012 FLD 103
pcamp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 11:25 AM
Grandstanding Member
 
Dave63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 29,803
I believe by stating the ECU needs to be reclaibrated, they're referring to the stage-I download, which is futile, if you have the V&H Fuelpak.

However, the mapping should be changed in the Fuelpack to match the parts installed, for optimal performance.

__________________________________________
When the going gets weird, the weird turn professional.... ~ Hunter S. Thompson~

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
pcamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 139
Images: 3
Garage
Thanks Dave

Take offs are optional. Landings are mandatory.
2012 FLD 103
pcamp is offline  
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 03:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Lugoff, SC
Posts: 103
Pcamp didn't you ask the same question on a different forum as well


Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/x...h_IMG_0464.jpg

2012 Switchback, 14" chubby apes, Rinehart 2-2 exhaust, SERT
LugoffSC_FLD is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 05:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Pappa P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 173
Images: 3
Garage
I have a 2012 FXDWG with V&H Big Shots Staggered and FuelPak. I also installed the stage I air filter kit. I emailed V&H the same question, they said the FuelPak takes care of the calibration, just make sure you get the correct map. It has been over 3 weeks since I did that and have not had any issues. Have fun!


Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

2015 FLHTK

"What, me worry?" -Alfred E. Neuman
Pappa P is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 06:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Upchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Denver,Colorado
Posts: 100
Yea Dave's right, did this in stall with V and H V02 naked AC with SE touring slip ons and a fuel pak from V and H. It runs great! Oh yea I put the Full Sac headers on also. The fuel PAC is easy to program and many combo of parts can be installed. Thanks again for Dave's input through out the forum for his advices on this subject.


Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Upchuck is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 06:57 AM
Senior Member
 
Knash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Germantown WI
Posts: 693
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upchuck View Post
Yea Dave's right, did this in stall with V and H V02 naked AC with SE touring slip ons and a fuel pak from V and H. It runs great! Oh yea I put the Full Sac headers on also. The fuel PAC is easy to program and many combo of parts can be installed. Thanks again for Dave's input through out the forum for his advices on this subject.


Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
I would be interested to hear about the V&H Fuel Pack when going through major elevation changes. Had a buddy pick up a ride from Nevada and ride over the mountains. Said he could barely get up to 70 as the air was too thin, anyways, talking with HD techs, they said that having the bike tuned with their HD tuner would prevent this from happening. It cost about 60% more with the dyno time. I haven't done it yet but will be with the new duals and air

Let's ride, I mean let's just ride!
2012 Ultra Limited



Life Church Riders Group Germantown WI
Riding with our Lord!
Knash is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 07:03 AM
Grandstanding Member
 
Dave63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 29,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knash View Post
I would be interested to hear about the V&H Fuel Pack when going through major elevation changes. Had a buddy pick up a ride from Nevada and ride over the mountains. Said he could barely get up to 70 as the air was too thin, anyways, talking with HD techs, they said that having the bike tuned with their HD tuner would prevent this from happening. It cost about 60% more with the dyno time. I haven't done it yet but will be with the new duals and air
If the bike was performance tuned in Nevada, and you took it to a mountainous elevation where the air is less dense, you'd experience a rich running condition.

In that enviroment, simply disconnect the V&H power source and attach your O2 sensors again in the original harness (if required to disconnect for install) and the factory ECU's settings would have been just fine.....

__________________________________________
When the going gets weird, the weird turn professional.... ~ Hunter S. Thompson~

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 07:13 AM
Senior Member
 
Knash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Germantown WI
Posts: 693
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave63 View Post
If the bike was performance tuned in Nevada, and you took it to a mountainous elevation where the air is less dense, you'd experience a rich running condition.

In that enviroment, simply disconnect the V&H power source and attach your O2 sensors again in the original harness (if required to disconnect for install) and the factory ECU's settings would have been just fine.....
Dave, so simply bypass the tuner and go straight plug to plug how it came, I see.

So, if you have the HD tuner and etc, will this prevent this from happening as they say?

Let's ride, I mean let's just ride!
2012 Ultra Limited



Life Church Riders Group Germantown WI
Riding with our Lord!
Knash is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 08:46 AM
Grandstanding Member
 
Dave63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 29,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knash View Post
Dave, so simply bypass the tuner and go straight plug to plug how it came, I see.

So, if you have the HD tuner and etc, will this prevent this from happening as they say?
There's 2 SE tuners that I'm aware of. Both would avoid this because it's a download device, and it continues to use the stock O2 sensors, over that of some of the other tuners. However, the SE STREET TUNER ONLY maintains an EPA rated tune.

Screamin' Eagle Street Performance Tuner Kit | Genuine Motor Accessories | Harley-Davidson USA

The 32109-08 allows off road use only maps to be modified/loaded into a bike's ECU. (It's black in color and lacks the word "Street" on the device)

You want to get the device that doesn't say "Street" on it.

The other drawback of the SE tuner is I believe they marry themselves to the bike and can't be resold or used on another bike. Not sure if this is still the case.

__________________________________________
When the going gets weird, the weird turn professional.... ~ Hunter S. Thompson~

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome