Screamin' Eagle stage 1 kit - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Performance

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 10:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Screamin' Eagle stage 1 kit

Just want to be sure not to screw anything up.
I am going to install the stage 1 air cleaner kit
First the instructions say to remove the Maxi Fuse. ?
Then it warns that the ECM has to be recalibrated.
Does a fuelpack or vied do the same thing, or do I still need to recalibrate the ECM.
The bike is a 2012 FLD 103. With a Vance&Hynes 2 into 1
muffler.
I know this has been asked and answered just want to double check thanks
Old 11-25-2012, 11:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

I believe by stating the ECU needs to be reclaibrated, they're referring to the stage-I download, which is futile, if you have the V&H Fuelpak.

However, the mapping should be changed in the Fuelpack to match the parts installed, for optimal performance.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Dave
Old 11-26-2012, 03:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

Pcamp didn't you ask the same question on a different forum as well

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

2012 Switchback, 14" chubby apes, Rinehart 2-2 exhaust, SERT
LugoffSC_FLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

Garage
I have a 2012 FXDWG with V&H Big Shots Staggered and FuelPak. I also installed the stage I air filter kit. I emailed V&H the same question, they said the FuelPak takes care of the calibration, just make sure you get the correct map. It has been over 3 weeks since I did that and have not had any issues. Have fun!

"What, me worry?" -Alfred E. Neuman
Pappa P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

Yea Dave's right, did this in stall with V and H V02 naked AC with SE touring slip ons and a fuel pak from V and H. It runs great! Oh yea I put the Full Sac headers on also. The fuel PAC is easy to program and many combo of parts can be installed. Thanks again for Dave's input through out the forum for his advices on this subject.

Upchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upchuck View Post
Yea Dave's right, did this in stall with V and H V02 naked AC with SE touring slip ons and a fuel pak from V and H. It runs great! Oh yea I put the Full Sac headers on also. The fuel PAC is easy to program and many combo of parts can be installed. Thanks again for Dave's input through out the forum for his advices on this subject.

I would be interested to hear about the V&H Fuel Pack when going through major elevation changes. Had a buddy pick up a ride from Nevada and ride over the mountains. Said he could barely get up to 70 as the air was too thin, anyways, talking with HD techs, they said that having the bike tuned with their HD tuner would prevent this from happening. It cost about 60% more with the dyno time. I haven't done it yet but will be with the new duals and air

Life Church Riders Group Germantown WI
Riding with our Lord!
Knash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knash View Post
I would be interested to hear about the V&H Fuel Pack when going through major elevation changes. Had a buddy pick up a ride from Nevada and ride over the mountains. Said he could barely get up to 70 as the air was too thin, anyways, talking with HD techs, they said that having the bike tuned with their HD tuner would prevent this from happening. It cost about 60% more with the dyno time. I haven't done it yet but will be with the new duals and air
If the bike was performance tuned in Nevada, and you took it to a mountainous elevation where the air is less dense, you'd experience a rich running condition.

In that enviroment, simply disconnect the V&H power source and attach your O2 sensors again in the original harness (if required to disconnect for install) and the factory ECU's settings would have been just fine.....
Old 11-28-2012, 07:13 AM   #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave63 View Post
If the bike was performance tuned in Nevada, and you took it to a mountainous elevation where the air is less dense, you'd experience a rich running condition.

In that enviroment, simply disconnect the V&H power source and attach your O2 sensors again in the original harness (if required to disconnect for install) and the factory ECU's settings would have been just fine.....
Dave, so simply bypass the tuner and go straight plug to plug how it came, I see.

So, if you have the HD tuner and etc, will this prevent this from happening as they say?

Life Church Riders Group Germantown WI
Riding with our Lord!
Knash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knash View Post
Dave, so simply bypass the tuner and go straight plug to plug how it came, I see.

So, if you have the HD tuner and etc, will this prevent this from happening as they say?
There's 2 SE tuners that I'm aware of. Both would avoid this because it's a download device, and it continues to use the stock O2 sensors, over that of some of the other tuners. However, the SE STREET TUNER ONLY maintains an EPA rated tune.

Screamin' Eagle® Street Performance Tuner Kit | Genuine Motor Accessories | Harley-Davidson USA

The 32109-08 allows off road use only maps to be modified/loaded into a bike's ECU. (It's black in color and lacks the word "Street" on the device)

You want to get the device that doesn't say "Street" on it.

The other drawback of the SE tuner is I believe they marry themselves to the bike and can't be resold or used on another bike. Not sure if this is still the case.