Questions about 103" setup - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Performance

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 12:26 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillsidecycleco View Post
Not to contradict, but we normally see the 103"s at 9.6 cr.
The .570 will also dump heat much better than the "school bus" cam, and set up correctly will have more "under the curve".
Scott
I'm not really disagreeing with you at all. I put a similar cam to the S&S.570 (Andrews 54H) in my 103, replacing the SE255 for the sake of reducing temps (and it did!). That danged SE255 is very hot.

I was just making a general statement that he could not just change cams and be at 10:1 compression and therefore what to expect in how the bike would feel. That SE255 cam hits like a hammer in the low RPMs.That's its strength. But I've found that my 54H hits hard enough down low (though not as hard as the 255) but at about 2500 it comes alive and then keeps its pull much longer than the 255. One thing I like about the 570EZ cam is its built in compression release. That's an excellent idea...especially if one were to bump up the compression. If I bump up the compression while running my 54H (and I probably will very soon), I'll have to have my heads drilled for compression releases. With his 11SG he's already got ACRs so he wouldn't need the EZ version. Since he's already got the CNC ported heads, Harley does CC those heads and I believe they are set to 85CC. He's very possibly already at 9.7:1 static compression(depending on his deck) or better, and with just the .30" headgaskets might very well get real close to 10:1, which as you suggested would make the S&S570 cam come alive. That would definitely firm up the bottom...you are right...he'd love it.
Bigbluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:19 AM   #12 (permalink)

I have two bikes both 103s one 255 cams milled and ported heads flat tops and has 89 hp and just Nader 100 tq but my bobber is 103 high comp slugs ported heads and 254e cam and has 102 hp and 109 tq 100 tq at 2700 and dropes back to 100 tq at 5250 when 100hpand 102 hp at 6200 .. Both motors basically the same except cam and flat tops , both comps are 10.5:1 ..and running ozy 98 pump petrol.. Hope this helps J.D?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
jon_doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #13 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Jon doe and everyone for their input helped out a lot. Going to put in the 54h cam when its time to service the tensioner set up
phrogchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrogchief View Post
Thanks Jon doe and everyone for their input helped out a lot. Going to put in the 54h cam when its time to service the tensioner set up
Excellent choice! I do like my 54H and I think it is not nearly as hard on the crankshaft as the SE-255. That would also be true of the cam Hillside was recommending.

Good luck!
Bigbluff is offline   Reply With Quote